The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Is there a class for how to put makeup on?

I mean really. I did theatre for like, eight years, I should have a general concept, right?

I don't own makeup. I don't have a clue how to apply it correctly to my face. I don't think I could even arrive at clown or hooker with my makeup skills.

I'm 25 years old. I can probably manage to get mascara on my lashes and lipstick, but I wouldn't know what to buy. Or how to make it look good.

My mommy never taught me. I wasn't interested in high school or college. And honestly, I'm really not interested now, but I feel like it is something I should know...

Yes!! And you should absolutely take one. Makeup doesn't have to be troweled on, contrary to what some people think, and it can really enhance your best features and make you feel pretty, which is never a bad thing! You can go to any department store and have your makeup done at the counter; just ask them to teach you how to do it and they will be happy to oblige. They will hope that you buy some product in return, but honestly, if you really don't know anything about makeup, you're much better off buying good makeup under someone's tutelage than trying to pick it out at the drugstore. If you go that route, I would recommend Clarins, Lancome, or Clinique. And, if you're not happy with the final results, don't buy makeup there--make another appointment at a different counter or with a different person; everyone has different taste. Also make sure you tell them that you've never worn makeup so they know that you're looking for a light touch, not prom makeup .

I'm personally addicted to Bare Escentuals, and all of my non-makeupy friends have gotten addicted to it, too. It's great makeup and especially great for people who aren't looking for major makeup. And it's good for your skin! If you have a Bare Escentuals boutique nearby (you can do a search online) they are great at giving makeup lessons!

Sephora is also a great option, but try to go on a weekday when they aren't as busy and have time to spend helping you.

My personal favorite option, if you can find a good place, is to go to a day spa and pay for a makeup lesson. There is a local spa where I live that will give you a lesson for $25--you can bring your own makeup or they will use the store stuff. They do an amazing job, and will really teach you how to do it as they go along. Because you're paying for the lesson, this is by far the best option, but it's not available everywhere (although I'm sure it is in Nashville).

There is an amazing woman on youtube who does 'how tos' for makeup. I don't wear makeup, but after watching her videos, it makes me want to start. She is funny, endearing and the 'befores' and 'afters' are amazing. Check her out:
    http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/vi...makeup-273886/

It will take practice! Basic rule - less is more. It's not hard to find classes. You'll switch brands a time or two probably, before you find one you like. (I use a mix of specialty line products and drugstore products).

Good luck! I look back at my 9th grade photos and shudder. . .that light blue shadow. Yikes.

As a photographer who sometimes shoots glamour, I've had to learn a bit about makeup so I can communicate what I want. I've found some really good tutorials on You Tube also.

Here's a bunch: http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...=&aq=1&oq=make
    “Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work, and hard work too, no matter how pleasurable it may be.”-Edward Weston