The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Neighbor's Alarm Clock-WWYD?

I have some real, real quiet neighbors-no complaints in general. However, recently, they have put an alarm clock near a window that is near my bedroom window and it goes off every morning at 6:30 AM. Sometimes I'm ok with getting up then, but most of the time I don't need to get up that early. I am thinking of asking them to put it on vibration. What would you do-say something or not?

6:30 ain't bad....

give them a radio alarm clock as belated Xmas pressy! (I can sleep through music alarm, no problem!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Is it hard for you to fall back asleep? My upstairs neighbor's bedroom is right above mine so I usually hear his alarm every day but it's not hard for me to fall back asleep so I don't worry about it. If you don't have problems falling back asleep I would just leave it alone. If you have problems sleeping after it goes off consider sleeping with a fan on first as that blocks out a lot of noise, I started using one in college when I needed to sleep earlier than the rest of my dorm did If that doesn't help then I might go and explain that you hear it everyday and you're a light sleeper, etc...
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
    For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
    www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

Why not politely ask them to move it away from the window?

I would nicely ask them if they could move it from the window. I find most neighbors respond much better if you address issues with them before they become problems. Seems like a reasonable request to me.

I agree with asking them to move it. If they mind then maybe try the fan or a white noise machine.
    If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on my cats.

Perhaps they can't move it if the night stand is by the bedroom window?

Honestly, the only thing that helps me sleep is a small fan on my dresser.

Our house is too quiet and I can't sleep because the cats play at night, never mind the heavy breathing DH.

I agree with the fan or white noise solutions. I used to live in NYC and having a fan running helped many outside noises fade away. I still use it today in NH, the dogs are not nearly as sensitive to small noises late at night when it's running.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

Can't hurt to ask. I bet they don't realise how far the sound carries.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I'll second the idea to add white noise, like a fan. I've lived in dorms or apartments full of college kids for 3 years now.. and I'm not that heavy of a sleeper. So I've gotten good at knowing how to fall asleep when people are being loud and obnoxious (not that your neighbors are, IMO).

If the white noise doesn't work, I'd leave a friendly note for them, or talk to them about it. Whatever is more comfortable for you. Be polite and nice about it, you have no clue how lucky you are to have neighbors where your biggest complaint is their alarm going off.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

How long has this been going on? I bet soon you'll get used to it and will sleep through it.

Kind of makes me glad I live in the country. I can sometimes see neighbours light on at night, in the winter, when the leaves are off the trees....... Yeah, we are away from major conveniences but if you plan right not a problem. I can hear the neighbours sawmill sometimes when the wind is right, or the train 8 miles away in the valley on a quiet night. Can't imagine hearing their alarm clock........