The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Mysterious Dog Illness **Kinda long**

***Dog has already been cured. This happened in July, and we still have no idea what caused it. Just looking for others thoughts on what it might have been**

8 year old miniature dachshund. Previously been incredibly healthy.

One day he starts vomiting large quantities of what looks like water. We call the vet, and the vet says its probably a mild stomach flu, and if its not better in a day bring him in. Well obviously it didnt get better, or I wouldnt be writing this post.

So, we bring him in tell the doctor his symptoms, lots of vomiting, not eating, lethargic, and just seems generally depressed (he was also a little slow going up and down the stairs, but we didnt think anything of it at the time other than lethargy.) She pulls blood and says shes worried its his kidneys, so she pulls a urine sample, and sure enough his kidney values are really low.

She sends out the blood work to get a bit more detailed annalysys, and says that she would like to keep him and put him on fluids and antibiotics. Blood work comes back, all the Kidney values are low and his white blood cell count is high.

He was there for about 4 days. He got a bit perkier, and a bit livelier every day, and slowly started eating some food. And at about 4 days all of his kidney, and blood cell counts were normal.
    Heres a photo of him on the last day of that hospital visit
    http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2.../Photo0206.jpg

We brought him home for three days, brought him back for a checkup and some checkup blood work and everything again, came back up normal.

A little over a week after he came home he was sick again. Brought him back into the vet. This time his kidney values are still GREAT but his white bloodcell count is through the ROOF! The vet says she thinks he may have Addisons disease. She keeps him again and puts him on more antibiotics and fluids. Test comes back for Addisons disease and its negative. Vet decided to do an ultrasound to see if he had any internal bleeding.

So they kept him for a couple more days, and pulled more blood work, and said if he wasn't better by monday

Day by day he keeps getting closer and closer to normal. They had a towel over his cage so he couldnt see anyone because he would start howling and barking for attention. Well Monday rolls around, they pull blood and everyting comes back normal.

He came home and has been 100% fine ever since.

Anyone have any idea what could have caused that? If this gets closed and you would still like to offer an opinion, feel free to PM me.
    Check out my Equine Genetics Blog! Updated April 25th with Splashed White!!!
    http://equinegenetics.blogspot.com/

hes little hes nto got into anything he shoulnt have ie your cleaning cupbaords drians or such like as dogs do liek to sniff about ad no ones given him anything he shouldnt when he goes to pooh or outside watch what he does

perhaps have alook in your basement as i think it you that keep cats down there and one in the antic
    perhaps they need to be looked at old food left lying around goes off what kind of sanitation have you for your cats ie litter box or can they go out
    all these things cause germs and the dog could pick those up plus the cats

Many foods can cause horrible side effects-green acorns can poison your dog, grapes and raisins or other berries can cause horrible gi symptoms, and garlic or onions cause horrible anemia and side effects. Plus anything really fatty or sugary can cause gi problems too.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Did they ever run a fecal? How was his poop?

With a high white count, he had some sort of infection. With the gastric issues, I'd think some sort of gastric infection. I've had a couple episodes of clostridial over growth in my dogs,and it makes them quite sick.

when you say his "kidney values were low" what do you mean? tests for kidney function are generally considered "bad" when they get too high, not too low.

Were you perhaps feeding him one of those poisoned dog foods?

Quote Originally Posted by goeslikestink View Post
    hes little hes nto got into anything he shoulnt have ie your cleaning cupbaords drians or such like as dogs do liek to sniff about ad no ones given him anything he shouldnt when he goes to pooh or outside watch what he does
    GLS-I always struggle a bit to read your posts, but I'm going to try. No, he didn't get into the cleaning stuff, its all WAY out of the dogs reach. No one gave him anything either.

[/quote]perhaps have alook in your basement as i think it you that keep cats down there and one in the antic
    perhaps they need to be looked at old food left lying around goes off what kind of sanitation have you for your cats ie litter box or can they go out
    all these things cause germs and the dog could pick those up plus the cats[/quote]Our cats are not kept in the basement, nor the attic if thats what the first half says. Now their litter box is kept downstairs. They are completely indoor cats, and their litter box is cleaned every other day or so.

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    Many foods can cause horrible side effects-green acorns can poison your dog, grapes and raisins or other berries can cause horrible gi symptoms, and garlic or onions cause horrible anemia and side effects. Plus anything really fatty or sugary can cause gi problems too.
    Well definitely no acorns, no grapes, and no raisins or berries. Garlic or onion is possible I suppose, but IMO unlikely. We rarely use garlic or onions, and when we do its not much and its always put back into the fridge for onion, and the top rack of our pantry for the garlic. Fatty or sugary could be if he got into some sort of of food if something got left open by someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Did they ever run a fecal? How was his poop?
    If I am remembering correctly they did do a fecal, and it was normal. His poop was normal when we brought him in, but at one point during one of the vet stays he had diarrhea. Vet said it could have been the quick change in food. She wanted him off our food, and onto some special food for Kidneys.

With a high white count, he had some sort of infection. With the gastric issues, I'd think some sort of gastric infection. I've had a couple episodes of clostridial over growth in my dogs,and it makes them quite sick.
    I'll take a look into that thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    when you say his "kidney values were low" what do you mean? tests for kidney function are generally considered "bad" when they get too high, not too low.
    Well, from what I remember his urine was really diluted, and I do remember her saying that his kidney values were really low, and that is what I wrote on another forum the day it was happening. I don't have the test results in hand, but I can see if I have them.

Were you perhaps feeding him one of those poisoned dog foods?
    I don't think so. I know our brand of WET food had problems at one point, but not our brand dry food, and we only feed dry. Also, if it WAS the food I would think that the rest of the dogs would have at least gotten a little sick since they all eat the exact same food.

Thanks for the help so far.
    Check out my Equine Genetics Blog! Updated April 25th with Splashed White!!!
    http://equinegenetics.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by RiddleMeThis View Post
    Well, from what I remember his urine was really diluted, and I do remember her saying that his kidney values were really low, and that is what I wrote on another forum the day it was happening. I don't have the test results in hand, but I can see if I have them.
    Some bacterial infections produce an endotoxin that restricts the kidneys ability to concentrate urine. This leads to drinking a lot and peeing a lot and very dilute urine.

It sounds like your dog had an infection somewhere and the first round of antibiotics did not get rid of it, and it came back, leading to his second round.

Really no way to know now where it was, unless it reoccurs. When they're that sick, they don't hold food down. Could be anywhere. If his kidney values were BAD (high, not low) he might have had a bad kidney infection, I suppose. Did the vet run urine?