The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anxiety disorders?

So, this may come as a COMPLETE shock to the people who know me in person (*rolls eyes*)- but I've been diagnosed with GAD (generalized anxiety disorder). Which basically means, from an evolutionary perspective, that my sympathetic nervous system is always prepared for a tiger to jump out at me. Basically I'm just anxious. All the time. And when I'm not anxious, I get anxious about not being anxious. (Though it does mean I'm super productive at work and school....)

Anybody got any tips on the best ways to chill out/general advice? I'm on medication and all, but I'd like to be doing SOMETHING. Yoga maybe?
    "My shopping list is getting long but I will add the marshmallows right below the napalm." -Weighaton

Quote Originally Posted by LearnToFly View Post
    So, this may come as a COMPLETE shock to the people who know me in person (*rolls eyes*)- but I've been diagnosed with GAD (generalized anxiety disorder). Which basically means, from an evolutionary perspective, that my sympathetic nervous system is always prepared for a tiger to jump out at me. Basically I'm just anxious. All the time. And when I'm not anxious, I get anxious about not being anxious. (Though it does mean I'm super productive at work and school....)

Anybody got any tips on the best ways to chill out/general advice? I'm on medication and all, but I'd like to be doing SOMETHING. Yoga maybe?
    I don't have any advice, but I can sympathize. As I get older I find that I am having more and more trouble with anxiety. My mother was a very anxious person and I remember thinking when I was young, 'TG I'm not like that'. Well, guess what? I seem to be taking after her after all. I don't think I'm as bad as she was, but it sure can be disruptive to my peace of mind, especially when I'm in the middle of a (literally) heart-pounding scenario. I'm getting to the point where I think I should talk to my doctor about it. I did get a prescription for Ambien last year which does help me get better sleep in general, but I think I need something that I can take when I'm having a particularly rough time during waking hours. I don't want a daily pill though. I would think yoga would help, though.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

That's a real pain in the butt. BUT, are you seeing a therapist?
    I don't have it but had glimmers and know someone who has it big time. So, I know how debilitating it can feel.
    You can spend $500 for behavioral modification therapist to control the behavior or spend $5000 on a figuring out where it came from. But I'll save you some money and say that knowing the source probably won't help. Recognizing that it's happening is a big step. There are deep breathing things, and desensitization exercises. The person I know has been doing that to great effect.
    It's the most easily cured psych disorder that exists. So, don't worry too much. That makes it worse. Own it and have a great new year.

I'm sorry, but your post made me chuckle (which I needed.) Of course you want to DO something to chill out. LOL. Yoga's good. Marital arts are relaxing for me. What about knitting? Reading? Good luck and good for you for going to get yourself help.

I wanted to add that the person I know with GAD was also offered the option of medication (Xanax) and rejected it. The Psych he went to also didn't think it was a good idea because he'd eventually get used to it and need more.

That said, the meds can help to change behaviors. At some point, the behaviors change and you forget about the meds. But the non-meds way (the one I"ve been hearing aboujt) it requires work. You have to do your exercises for the desensitization, and they aren't always comfortable.

Good luck!

Ohhhhhhhh yeah. Do I ever know.

For me, it was a combination of the RIGHT drug and therapy. SSRIs did NOT work. They did NOT help. They made things WORSE.

I take Seroquel every night before bed. It takes care of my anxiety issues AND my insomnia issues! EMDR helped with some of the panic attack triggers. Seems silly, but really works.

I've focused on the things I love most in the world, imagined them and then pushed that loving out while exhaling into my environment. It's worked twice for me. For me the bottom line panic was that there was no love around me.
    I'm not claiming anything with this, but it worked twice for me.

I'm all about "rebounding" lately. It's amazing exercise and has benefits I never even thought about!

Default my anxiety disorder reared its ugly head again this past year

and I'm at my wits end trying to deal with it. I first experienced severe anxiety about 20 years ago, went to therapy a few times and worked my way through it all. About a year and a half ago it resumed just out of the blue one day while I was driving on the freeway. I quit driving on the freeway, then I quit driving on the busier streets and today it took me 25 minutes to go 7 miles on all the back streets to take my pup in for a vaccination at the vet's office. My regular doctor prescribed Xanax about a year ago and I take half of a .25 mg tablet when I anticipate an "attack" type situation which it seem to be happening much more frequently, sometimes several times in a week. I'm searching out a good therapist here locally but its the holidays and haven't been able to connect with one yet. Oddly I've never had any type of anxiety around my horses thank goodness however its all intertwined and in the past year I had to move them further away which means more driving which means I see them less than I used to.....vicious nasty circle.

I've battled with GAD/Depression and have done great the past few years; no meds, no symptoms. However, two weeks ago, I was attacked in the ER by a pt and I had a MAJOR panic attack upon arriving home that morning. Since I'm pregnant, I don't want to take any meds, but I have had more anxiety lately.
    Boarding for Show, Pleasure, and Retirement horses. www.LockeMeadows.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chall View Post
    I've focused on the things I love most in the world, imagined them and then pushed that loving out while exhaling into my environment. It's worked twice for me. For me the bottom line panic was that there was no love around me.
    I'm not claiming anything with this, but it worked twice for me.

Actually- I think this is the root of why it's gotten so bad. The horse, who was my stress relief, got hurt and became the cause of stress; and the boy, who was always my shining beacon of support and sense when the world was crazy, moved far away for law school and decided to end it instead of putting us both through a relationship he didn't have the time to devote his full energy on. I'm surviving on xanax, but I hate being dependent on a drug to calm me down on days when it gets really bad...
    "My shopping list is getting long but I will add the marshmallows right below the napalm." -Weighaton

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Pony View Post
    I'm all about "rebounding" lately. It's amazing exercise and has benefits I never even thought about!