The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Remember Shergar?

I just watched the movie,which wasn't very good. Left me wondering if there was ever any trace found of him ,or any credible theories as to what happened. The movie version is that the IRA kidnapped him ,and then wanted to kill him when his ransom wasn't paid.Sounds probable. In the movie a kid steals him from the kidnappers to try to save him,but they hunt him down. That seems very unlikely.If he escaped why bother to hunt him down? Okay ,I know IT's a Movie. But what happened to him???

Here's probably as much of the story as we will ever know. It's very sad.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...idnapping.html

Thanks for the info. Kind of sorry I asked.

It seems whenever a random horse's head turned up a field in the last 20 years the press quickly pondered if it was Shergar. Case in point this uncovery from 2000 whereby a twice shot horse skull was uncovered in Co Kerry IRE.

Video: 20 moments that shook Irish Sport: #5 Shergar

Well, if in fact they shot him (as the story goes) they had to do something with him--no knacker or kennel would have taken a bay horse carcass at the time, with the entire country looking for Shergar. So he had to be buried or dumped somewhere. It's always possible the remains could turn up.

I admit that I wasn't familiar with this story until a friend/trainer told me about it just a couple months ago. He watched Shergar's last race when he was still living in Jamaica. Interesting in a sordid way. I can't believe that the case hasn't been solved. Sounds "Goodfella" to me!

One theory is that he's buried or was dumped in a remote location in County Leitrim. County Leitrim is not part of Northern Ireland, but is know for having Nationalist sympathies.

He had a son standing at stud in the US northwest, perhaps Oregon? One of the first (only) crop of foals I guess. He was unraced or not spectacular on the track. I looked at a daughter of this horse who had some cheap black type as a broodmare for a client of mine, but she was not put together nicely. Didn't bid on her, and she went cheap. But it was a little uncanny to see his name on the pedigree page. I remember when the horsenapping episode happened as well. I think it turned much public opinion against the IRA, worked against them.

Shergar's Best, by Shergar stood in Idaho at Paul Girdner's farm. We bred our Dust Comander mare to him several times. All our foals were winners.

We also evented one Shergar's Best gelding.

I'm sure he'd dead now, but there was a "interesting" story that he was taken to the island of Rum of Scotland. Once there a stalemate between the owners/insurance co. & the IRA happened. Not sure what ever happened to him, but I'm sure the IRA didn't kill him after the outrage they got over taking him. I think they where a little shocked by peoples reactions to messing with our horses.

Robert
    Tandem Hill Farm
    www.tandemhillfarm.com

Robert j Chambers on Facebook

I find it hard to believe that any Irishman would kill that horse when he could have been bred; they have some mighty good horses with doubtful ancestry coming out of Ireland !

This guy claims to have the scoop; http://superfectablog.blogspot.com/2...t-shergar.html

I think if that had happened that way, it would have leaked out by now. If it had the guys holding the guns might have well kept some rounds for themselfs before there captains found out.

The story I got was that if the horse was moved from where ever the owners would loose alot more than horses & the owners would not pay the ransom because of the public out cry thinking that cell of the IRA would end up folding. The insurance was or was not payed by some reports but a stalemate just stood in place. I dout the IRA ever did anything to or for the horse after that because the SAS was on the job along with others and the media blitz the British goverment would have gotten if the IRA had killed the horse and the British could have proven it, would have been so against the IRA the funding from the US public would have been crushed.

I think it was interesting that in circles in Ireland a Rum & Coke is called a Shergar!

Robert
    Tandem Hill Farm
    www.tandemhillfarm.com

Robert j Chambers on Facebook

Default Shergar's Best?

I would be interested in knowing if any of Shergar's progeny were near Illinois. I have a mare in my barn whose paternal grandsire is Sea Bird and maternal grandsire is Grey Dawn II (the only horse that ever beat Sea Bird). I want to breed her this spring and since she is mostly European TB, would like to stick along those lines. I am a hunter/jumper and am either looking at breeding her to a TB or breeding her for a hunter/sporthorse. I do not think she has ever produced any winning TBs but was making Appendix qtr horse babies before I got her. There is a little slip attached to her papers that indicates she was nominated to the Breeder's Cup.

If Shergar had lived he would have eventually turned up somewhere.

I doubt the people who had him were very concerned about horses either in any sense at all.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Quote Originally Posted by headsupheelsdown View Post
    I would be interested in knowing if any of Shergar's progeny were near Illinois. I have a mare in my barn whose paternal grandsire is Sea Bird and maternal grandsire is Grey Dawn II (the only horse that ever beat Sea Bird). I want to breed her this spring and since she is mostly European TB, would like to stick along those lines. I am a hunter/jumper and am either looking at breeding her to a TB or breeding her for a hunter/sporthorse. I do not think she has ever produced any winning TBs but was making Appendix qtr horse babies before I got her. There is a little slip attached to her papers that indicates she was nominated to the Breeder's Cup.
    Your decision making thought processes on this subject are faulty. Having a breeders' cup nomination slip on her papers is not fundimental in assessing her quality or value as a potential broodmare for anything, nor is the location of some of her ancestors. Please consult other qualified and experienced breeders in your area for some input into your decisions before you get into breeding your mare.

Quote Originally Posted by summerhorse View Post
    If Shergar had lived he would have eventually turned up somewhere.

I doubt the people who had him were very concerned about horses either in any sense at all.
    There's no way he could have been hidden for (let's say for the sake of argument) two decades.

Remember Fanfreluche? She was kidnapped right off Claiborne Farm (the kidnappers cut a hole in the fence) and ransomed. Eventually the mare turned up in some farmer's backyard. At the time, she was i/f to Secretariat. The farmer's wife had named her Dolly and was planning to ride her in the town Christmas parade, in a Western saddle!

I remember that well! I still have the clippings! That foal was named Sain et Sauf (not sure on the spelling) which means safe and sound. He did win but unfortunately was minor league at best.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    There's no way he could have been hidden for (let's say for the sake of argument) two decades.

Remember Fanfreluche? She was kidnapped right off Claiborne Farm (the kidnappers cut a hole in the fence) and ransomed. Eventually the mare turned up in some farmer's backyard. At the time, she was i/f to Secretariat. The farmer's wife had named her Dolly and was planning to ride her in the town Christmas parade, in a Western saddle!
    He, Sain Et Sauf, ultimately was shipped to India for stud duty.

Actually they named her "Brandy" and per the reports of the day they [Larry and Sandra McPherson - in Tompkinsville, KY] kept her in a lumber shed behind their mobile home. They rode her several times, as Sandra later told The Blood-Horse. “She rides rough when she’s going slow, and she’s hard to hold back sometimes.”

There never was a ransom note or plot to extort money from Claiborne Farm tied to the kidnapping. Although William Michael McCandless of Paducah, KY and an exercise rider was arrested and I believe did jail time and/or paid a fine. It was theorized that he let the horse go in an act of revenge.

M/M Bet Firestone acquired "Brandy" later in 1978 and she produced one more foal - a colt named D’Accord (not sired by Secretariat) who was a Grade 2 winner and successful runner.

An interesting read from the day: Sports Illustrated December 19, 1977 "The Toast Of Tompkinsville"

Fanfreluche was living quietly and happily on a little farm near Tompkinsville, Ky., about 150 miles south of Claiborne. There she was known as "Brandy," and the farm's owner, Larry McPherson, treated her no differently from his pony, his quarter horse and his palomino, whose combined value was less than $600. McPherson, an apprentice steam-pipe fitter with the Tennessee Valley Authority, apparently found the mare one morning last summer standing in the road that runs past his house trailer.

Never dreaming of her true identity—"You're always finding horses and cows in the road in our part of the country," says McPherson—he did the neighborly thing, which was to take her and keep her until the owner showed up to claim her. While he waited, McPherson let his friends and family ride Brandy around the "horse lot" on his three-acre farm. And he took such a liking to the mare that he turned down an offer of $200 for her.

"I just didn't feel right selling something that didn't belong to me," McPherson says, "so I just kept her and waited for the day when somebody would come claim her."

Somebody finally did—at 2:15 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 8. That's when an FBI agent and the state police, acting on a tip, converged on McPherson's farm. When he heard their story, McPherson says, "It liked to have knocked the feet out from under me." Fanfreluche was standing in a field, and the FBI man recognized her even at a distance. "I think some of our agents would know her in their sleep," FBI Special Agent Robert Pence says.

Sure enough, a check of the mare's lip tattoo showed that she was No. W 12997—Fanfreluche. Seth Hancock, president of Claiborne Farm, who had given up hope of finding the mare alive, was notified. He immediately set off in a van with farm manager John Sos-by for McPherson's farm, so far from Claiborne in so many ways.
    Not sure if this will make it into the Secretariat movie

Did Seth cough up some board money to offset McPherson's expenses of keeping the mare?

Quote Originally Posted by NancyM View Post
    Did Seth cough up some board money to offset McPherson's expenses of keeping the mare?
    Seth offered "Brandy's" temporary keepers free visits to Claiborne Farm. However considering the McPherson's and friends enjoyed free rides on her while in their possession and the free media coverage I think it was considered 'even stephen'