The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What joint supplement for an old TB?

What joint supp would you recommend for an elderly TB (20), still in work 5 days a week, getting TO 8 hours a day. He gets monthly Adequan, but I'm wanting to add a feed through (even if it is just to make me feel better).
    TIA!

I have a 25 yr old ex racer (10 yrs on the track). He's a little arthritic but otherwise healthy. I normally ride 3x per week, 4 if the weather and my schedule allow. I've had good success with Aniflex Complete.

I'm really loving Cosequin ASU!
    Y'all ain't right!

SmartFlex Senior from Smart Pak. LOVE it. Very reasonably priced and has lots of great stuff in it. My 26 year old gelding actually bucks and canters when playing now! hahaha What a difference.

MSM. It's pretty much the only feed-through out there with any hard scientific evidence behind it, and it's a key ingredient in both Smartflex Repair and Cosequin ASU. Since your horse is already getting Adequan, it might be a smart place to start because it will add anti-inflammatory properties to your supplement program.

Beyond that, it's hard to say. I've met many horses who benefit from oral joint supplements, but it's never one magic bullet supplement--they're on any number of different joint supps at any number of different dosages.

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    MSM. It's pretty much the only feed-through out there with any hard scientific evidence behind it, and it's a key ingredient in both Smartflex Repair and Cosequin ASU. Since your horse is already getting Adequan, it might be a smart place to start because it will add anti-inflammatory properties to your supplement program.
    Yep, MSM would be my pick. Had my old man on 20,000 for a month last winter than backed off to 10,000 and it made a huge difference for him.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Default Keraflex

My older guys do great on it.
    MW
    Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
    New edition of book is out:
    Horse Nutrition Handbook.

www.knabstruppers4usa.com

I've been real happy with SmartFlex Senior...have my 17y/o TB on it, and he seems to move around very comfortably. It's also very cost efficient.
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

At least msm. Very cheap to add. I'm going to try that Flex Force HA supp from Valley Vet when it warms up enough to ship w/o freezing though.

I'm intrigued by Smartpak's senior supp, but can't use it b/c my horse is ulcer prone. Also, (correct me if I'm wrong) it will test.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

MSM! Went from a horse I wasn't sure would make it another winter to a horse that canters and trots around with his buddy, and never looks ouchy or sore. It has made an unbelievable difference.

Another vote for MSM. I've tried the others, it never seemed to make a difference.

I think I read somehwere that if you add freeze dried cabbage with MSM it makes natural glucosomin and is also good for their gut.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

MSM and Grand HA. There is actually some research that shows that the feed-through HA supps raise the blood serum levels of HA higher and more consistently than Legend. I tried 3 different HA supps, and GrandHA gave me the best results by far. It took 3 or 4 days to notice the difference, and when I switched to the trial doses of the others, she got worse again.

I love Uckele Sr Hoof and Joint!!! (from the makers of cocosoya) http://www.uckele.com/equine/ezecomm...&productid=657

i have not tried their other joint supps, but this one is really making my guy move like a million bucks! It has a great over all support for his aging body, and his feet are looking really good too.

Start out with the MSM. It will probably help the horse and won't harm the wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by TrotTrotPumpkn View Post
    At least msm. Very cheap to add. I'm going to try that Flex Force HA supp from Valley Vet when it warms up enough to ship w/o freezing though.

I'm intrigued by Smartpak's senior supp, but can't use it b/c my horse is ulcer prone. Also, (correct me if I'm wrong) it will test.
    Just curious, what is in there that affects the ulcers? My mare has had them in the past and while she's nowhere near a senior, it's good to know what to avoid.

I believe the Devil's Claw will test though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tegan View Post
    Just curious, what is in there that affects the ulcers? My mare has had them in the past and while she's nowhere near a senior, it's good to know what to avoid.

I believe the Devil's Claw will test though.
    It is the Devil's Claw that is bad for ulcers.

Here's another vote for the Flex Force HA supp from Valley Vet. It's cherry flavored liquid, that my oldsters seem to like. And WOW, does it make a difference in how they move when turned out now... they look sound and playful instead of arthretic and aged.
    Just IMHO, J
    ‎"Luck favors the prepared, darling." ~~ Edna Mode

I've got one on SmartFlex II and one on MSM. Those horses are both retired and doing well.

The one I have on Cosequin ASU also gets monthly Adequan shots. He's 16, is an OTTB, was an upper level jumper for years before my kid got him, and now he's doing 3'3" jumper and eq stuff with her. He has shown real improvement on the Adequan/Cosequin ASU regime
    Y'all ain't right!

I agree with the MSM recommendations.

My retired TB thrives on it. He is noticeably uncomfortable without it, but loves life with it.

And it's inexpensive!
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

I have a very strong vote for Aniflex Complete. I have a 19 yo OTTB that has been through most of the other supplements listed. He is still sound, and in work when I can ride without drowning in mud. He does have arthritic hocks that get injected, and a bigger left front fetlock. I can see a visible difference in his soundness, and happiness when he is on the Aniflex. When I run out he gets grumpier and noticably shorter strided. It's cheap enough to easily keep up the loading dose when needed. He's a big boy, so a chiro/vet suggested a few years ago he should probably always be on a loading dose. So far I have been really impressed with it.