The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default Trakehner stallion Apache

Anyone here have opinions and information about him? Results? Foals? Movement?

I just saw his blurb on the ATA Auction site, and he looks as if he'd be a perfect match conformationally for a mare I know. They are very similar in a lot of ways, but from the one photo that I saw he'd improve her in small things.

I've just googled him, and he is an elite level dressage horse, so his movement has to be superior. The ATA site doesn't have information on many of his get.
    Last edited by vineyridge; Dec. 30, 2009 at 01:42 PM.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

He lives not too far from me now, but I'll be honest I've not seen him in person. His owner is pretty easy to talk to though. He is pretty much retired, very well bred and has "done it" as you have found out. He is older so even if I saw him in person it prob wouldn't be the same movement that he had when he was younger/competing. Ruth Anne has several of his foals (his owner) and can point you to some of the ones that he has bred.

He does have some of his offspring listed on the ATA site that have a competition career : http://americantrakehner.com/Stallions/Apache.asp Click on the names in blue and you can see what they have done (and what has been reported to the ATA).

I have heard that he is very sweet and is a kind horse from those that have seen him recently. I love the bloodlines for sport and he is one of the few greys I'd consider breeding to (and if you knew me personally you'd know how huge of a statement that is as I really don't want greys LOL).
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

I've always liked this horse - lovely horse, outstanding performance record, and excellent Trakehner pedigree. I don't have it in front of me, but if I remember correctly his dam is Abiza, who was imported in foal carrying Abdullah.
    I don't know any thing more about him however, just that he has always caught my eye.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Here is his owner's website... http://www.jointventurefarm.com/ with more info about him. :-) There is info about his pedigree to a certain extent.

Apache is by Merkur *E* and out of Alouette (I may have those names spelled wrong). Alouette is by Tannenberg out of Abiza who is Abdullah's dam.

Also looked him up and it looks like he only has around 39 registered (with the ATA) offspring.
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

Default Alouette *E*

Since IMO the better the mare, the better the offspring, a bit about Apache *Pb*'s dam, the Elite mare Alouette *E*.

As Anissa mentioned, Alouette is out of the elite mare Abiza *E* - which alone is a HUGE recommendation - who earned her own elite title by producing 14 offspring, including 2 very good approved sons, Apache *Pb* and Asher (2001 winner of the Governor General's AND Lieutenant Governer's Cup at the Royal Winter Fair).

The Apache *Pb* son Hayden GS *Pb* has a very good record in SoCal dressage thru 3rd level.
    Owner of ATA and Verband-Approved Trakehner stallion, Tzigane *Pb*, breeder of ATA-approved Semper Fidelis

www.twingates.com

I once had a nice long visit and conversation with Charlotte Schickedanz at her Galten Farms. We talked about Apache, her breeding program, and saw a couple of the stallions. We had had some interest in Apacke back in 2002. I got his video from Jodie Cressman (Hilda Gurney), who owns Lancelot (Leonidas), etc. I probably still have that video around here somewhere. The movement was okay. What does 'elite level dressage' mean? The movement was nothing like Leonidas'.

Why am I thinking that Darren Chia Chia did eventing with him? I swore he was the rider.

Darren may have completed Apache's eventing for his performance requirements. Darren has always rode a lot of TKs and I know that he took a bunch of stallions through the performance portion. At the inspection in Jax a couple of years ago it seems that he and Ruthanne (Apache's current owner) talked about him when he rode him or something.

Apache received his *Pb* (Performance Bronze) designation for dressage scores. He did reach GP I think so I'm not sure why he hasn't gotten a higher performance designation. Last I heard, Ruthanne was trying to dig into if he is elig for anything higher.

Here is the link for the various requirements for the Exceptional Horse requirements (both Elite status and the various performance designations).

http://www.americantrakehner.com/Awa...quirements.htm

Mares and stallions can be designated Elite and it is through producing exceptional offspring. It can be horses that achieve upper levels in sport (successfully), it can be approved stallions, it can be Model Mares etc - they get points for each type of thing, achieve enough points and the horse can be designated Elite. I have an Elite Mare as she has produced two approved sons. Abiza is Elite as she produced FOUR approved sons (I don't think there is another mare in the ATA that has done that) and she is the granddam of Apache. Abiza's daughter produced TWO approved sons and is Elite....

I haven't seen Apache in person, but apparently he got the job done in sport and has produced horses that are getting the job done in sport (Hayden being a great example of that) regardless of how great a mover he was. The pedigree is stacked for athleticism.

Quote Originally Posted by acottongim View Post
    Abiza is Elite as she produced FOUR approved sons (I don't think there is another mare in the ATA that has done that) and she is the granddam of Apache. Abiza's daughter produced TWO approved sons and is Elite....
    Actually, Palma Nigra also produced 4 approved sons, the full brothers: Prince of Prussia, Prinz Habicht, Platinum v Rappenhof and Patras v Rappenhof and at least one Model mare.

The requirements for Elite mare status below:

2. Elite Mare: *E*

Awarded to those mares which produce outstanding offspring. Minimum requirements are:

•two sons approved as ATA Breeding Stallions; or
    •three ATA registered offspring meeting the requirements for an *E*, *M*, or *P* mare; or
    •one son approved as an ATA Breeding Stallion and one *E* daughter; or
    •one son approved as an ATA Breeding Stallion and two ATA registered offspring meeting the performance requirements for an *M* or *P* mare; or
    •by independent consideration.
    Owner of ATA and Verband-Approved Trakehner stallion, Tzigane *Pb*, breeder of ATA-approved Semper Fidelis

www.twingates.com

Thanks Kim, always forget about Palma Nigra... not sure why and not intentional by any means!

Quote Originally Posted by TwinGates View Post
    Since IMO the better the mare, the better the offspring, a bit about Apache *Pb*'s dam, the Elite mare Alouette *E*.

As Anissa mentioned, Alouette is out of the elite mare Abiza *E* - which alone is a HUGE recommendation - who earned her own elite title by producing 14 offspring, including 2 very good approved sons, Apache *Pb* and Asher (2001 winner of the Governor General's AND Lieutenant Governer's Cup at the Royal Winter Fair).

The Apache *Pb* son Hayden GS *Pb* has a very good record in SoCal dressage thru 3rd level.
    I have the Alouette daughter Ada GS. She is a fantabulous mare, and also the dam of the ATA approved stallion Arapaho (now gelded, from what I understand). I purchased Ada from Charlotte a few years ago, in foal to Hilton GS. The colt is very nice, and she has had 2 more Anglo-Trakehner foals for me...both also very nice. She is just one of "those" mares. Priceless.

I have considered Apache for some of my other mares and Ruthanne is very, very easy to talk to.
    www.four-leaf-farm.com
    Proud Breeder of Trakehners and Anglo-Trakehners.