The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Winter Jackets

I've been searching for a winter jacket that I can take with me to Maine while I won't be riding much in Maine, I need to be able to ride in it. I've currently been looking at snowboarding jackets since they're a little more fashionable, but I'm open to pretty much anything. I'd like to keep the cost pretty low as I am a college student. Thank you!
    "Riding a horse is not a hobby to be picked up & laid down, it is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole & once it has done so, he will have to accept his life will be radically changed." - RWE

I get my jackets from GAP. They are always warm and usually on sale!

I just bought (this week) a great North Face Jacket from TJ Maxx. It is the warmest and lightest weight coat that I have ever seen. Puffy like a down jacket but VERY VERY light. It was $99. It retailed for over $200. I will ride in it, ski in it. And it is waterproof. Heck, I could probably scale Mt. Everest in it.

I have two Columbia 3-in-1 coats. One I paid the ful $220 for but its my 'nice' coat...the other I found on ebay danged near new for $60..was missing the hood. Thats my chore/riding coat. They're super warm.

I also just picked up off Tack of the Day, the Cirrus Irideon coat,,,its THIN, but waterproof and actually really warm. Its designed for riding. I think it was about 65?

Basically anything that blocks wind is awesome because if you can layer a polar fleece shirt of some kind under it, you're GOLDEN. I'm often sweating like CRAZY on a 5 degree day just from pitching hay.

Puffy coats are always warm, but can sorta get in the way for riding if you're worried about your eq or whatever haha.

I'd suggest trying ebay if you're on a budget. Go to stores and find a coat that you love and then hunt it down on ebay

I have 2 of these Riding Sport International 5 in 1 - one for the barn and one for good.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&re=viewbuyrec

I have the aubergene/lavender one and it is really pretty, and actually very neutral.

I wear the good one to church and everywhere else all the time. It's a great lightweight jacket/short coat that doubles as a raincoat. I just love the fabric. Nothing sticks to it and it washes beautifully. When the barn jacket is washed, it looks exactly as nice and new as the *good* one. There are lots of zippers for ventilation, and I never sweat in it indoors, like stores.

It's not extremely cold here, so 3 seasons the coats don't have the zip vests/arms in them. It's truly a 4 season jacket.

I buy them in Jan-Feb when they're on supersale. I just saw them in the new catalog in the $80 range. In Feb, they'll be in the $74 dollar range.

Yip
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

I second Yip. Great barn/riding coat.

Tack of the day just had the Mountain Horse Rider Jacket on sale for $68... I just got one for Christmas and I love it -warm and made for riding in. I think it goes until Monday?

http://www.tackoftheday.com/extra/default.aspx

I just got the Mountain Horse Rider jacket ($116 at SmartPak) for my bday, which falls immediately after Christmas. I love, love, LOVE this jacket.

The first time I wore it to the barn, I was out for ~ 4 hours in windy, high 20s/low 30s weather and was toasty warm. The jacket is not bulky and I was able to layer 2 sweatshirts, one a fleece, under it without getting that "ugghh I can't move" feeling. I haven't yet ridden in this jacket, but it has vents at the back and is designed for riding. One of the reviewers on the smartpak website said she jumps 3ft courses while wearing it.

Oh, and my horse appreciates the many large pockets, the better for carrying treats with me whereever I go
    BES
    Proudly owned by 2 chestnut mares
    Crayola Posse: sea green
    Mighty Rehabbers Clique

Quote Originally Posted by BlueEyedSorrel View Post
    The jacket is not bulky and I was able to layer 2 sweatshirts, one a fleece, under it without getting that "ugghh I can't move" feeling.
    Did you buy your regular size in this? I'm very tempted by the sale on TOTD.....

Quote Originally Posted by jen-s View Post
    Did you buy your regular size in this? I'm very tempted by the sale on TOTD.....
    Yes. I'm generally a medium and that's what I got. I think if I went up to a large I'd be swimming in the jacket.

BES
    Proudly owned by 2 chestnut mares
    Crayola Posse: sea green
    Mighty Rehabbers Clique

I have the Mountain Horse Fjordling jacket, which is, I think, a kids' version of the Rider jacket (I am small). I love it. It's super-warm, I can layer comfortably under it, lots of pockets... I can ride in it, but I wouldn't really use it for lessons or more intense work; it's a little bit limiting for that. But it's a fabulous barn coat and I could use it for trail riding or light hacking.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueEyedSorrel View Post
    Yes. I'm generally a medium and that's what I got. I think if I went up to a large I'd be swimming in the jacket.

BES
    Thanks!

I have the Mnt Horse youth size large Grace jacket - warm, machine washable and I can move in it! (i'm a petite lady)
    Crayola posse ~ Lazer Lemon yellow
    Take time to give...it is too short a day to be selfish. - Ben Franklin

I also have the Rider's jacket from Dover. I have the aubergene also. I often wear it to work(when it's clean) hehe. I am going to check out the sales and get another one that can definitely be a barn/riding coat.

I get the big Columbias, Northfaces and Under Armor ones from Dick's Sporting goods....if it's good enough for a skier, it's good enought for me
    There's coffee in that nebula.

I picked up a down jacket from Dover for $30 - saw it and bought it on a whim but it is SO WARM. I'm in Downeast Maine and I've only been able to ride in it once - I get so warm in it while tacking up that I have enough residual heat to last through my ride, haha!
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...cd2=1262874847

I Love my elations winter jacted it is awesome(even has many pockets!) Very warm I can wear just a hoodie under it at -30*C and be sweating!

www.greenhawk.net
    Beyond the Ring-para dressage, training, coaching
    www.facebook.com/btrparadressage

Proud Team Four Star Minion! Renegade for Life!