The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Top Racing History and biographies Books

I just loved Seabiscuit, both the movie and the book, and have watched/read them manyy times. When I come across a good book or a movie, I love to enjoy them over and over. I recently saw the "calumet farm" thread, wherein someone mentioned a book written about the farm and its history, called "Wild Ride". I haven't read it yet, but it sounds like its right up my alley, and I'm going to get that book. I also really liked Jane Smiley's book Horse Heaven

I would like to know more, other great books about thoroughbred racing, about specific horses, or trainers, or breeders, or farms, or episodes in history. Any sort of book, whether a story or a good coffee table book, and if you know of any, would you write your review and name the book, and why you love it or recommend it in a post here?

I'd like to keep this about Thoroughbred racing, and about books and movies that are really great, outstanding, and worth hunting down. If you have a book or movie about some other branch of horse sport, which is really good and compelling, well I guess we'll just have to "suffer" through your posting of it, and I am being sarcastic because any good book about horses is a treasure. But the utmost requirement is that the book has to be compelling. That's my request.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

I'll pick up pretty much anything with a horse on the cover at the used book store, and I recently read

Wink: The Incredible Life and Epic Journey of Jimmy Winkfield
    http://www.amazon.com/Wink-Incredibl.../dp/0071418628
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Just about anything from here. (Blood Horse Publications)

Get on their mailing list. They have some killer sales. I have two MAGNIFICENT head studies - signed and numbered - that I picked up for $5 each. And they are gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Here's a bargain! And his second book, Headless Horsemen, is very good also.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

I just finished "Beyond the Homestretch" by Lynn Reardon, the program director for LOPE Texas (TB placement program like CANTER). It's a good read, and more accurate about the track and backside aspects then many reads since she's telling the stories of the horses as they happened. There are a bunch of reviews on Amazon to help you decide if this is of interest, but I must say I enjoyed the individual stories of the horses and how Lynn grows in her new role with placing them in new careers.

A proceeds of the purchase goes to LOPE to boot

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/157..._ya_oh_product

I second Blood Horse Publications and Exclusively Equine. Good stuff to be found there!

Loved Man o' War by Dorothy Ours.

The Dick Francis biography of Lester Piggott (forget the title) was quite enjoyable, too, and had lots of little notes about the quirks and personalities of such horses as Sir Ivor, Nijinsky, etc.

Not by a Longshot by TD Thornton
    View my photographs at www.horsephotoguy.zenfolio.com

I just love a book I have called "Right from the Horse's Mouth" by John Devaney and Howard Liss. It is written from the horses' perspectives and is a fun read. There are also lots of cool old pictures of these great racehorses. It includes the following horses stories:

Man O'War
    Seabiscuit
    Whirlaway
    Count Fleet
    Citation
    Native Dancer
    Silky Sullivan
    Kelso
    Buckpasser
    Secretariat
    Forego
    Ruffian
    Affirmed
    Seattle Slew
    Spend a Buck
    John Henry

The stories are based on notes that a man named Eddie "Slips" Madigan made of a number of years. From the authors' notes, he was quite the railbird and wrote a twice weekly racing column for some mid-western papers and upon his passing, his niece contacted the authors and gave them shoe boxes full of his notes taken over the years. I believe the copyright on the book is from 1987

Seconding the recommendations for Man O'War and Not By A Long Shot. Both very well written and readable.

I also really enjoyed Stud, by Kevin Conley. An interesting look into the lives of stallions from all walks, from harness racers to Storm Cat. Horse of a Different Color was interesting as well. James Squires has some pretty strong opinions about racing.

I've yet to read an autobiography/biography that I really enjoyed by a jockey; a lot of them are pretty poorly written.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by texang73 View Post
    Not by a Longshot by TD Thornton
    I'll third that.

I nearly read it straight through in one sitting...and not just because I bought a horse from TD's dad (now I seem to be collecting them.... )