The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Speaking up when undercharged??

Just looking for feedback on whether or not you speak up when you receive a service and the BO forgets to charge you? I mentioned that I never received a bill for a service I know my horse received and am wondering if that was dumb? It was ~$150 so I couldn't allow myself to not say something but how do others feel about these situations?

I would also speak up.

the ethical and right thing is to speak up.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMama1 View Post
    Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
    GNU Terry Prachett

Karma baby! Speak up!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Heh, last time I did that, the person who undercharged me said, "Why the HECK did you say anything??" Mamma raised me with manners, that's why.

Absolutely. Barn owners and managers who do it right are not rolling in the big bucks. Do right by them, and they'll do right by you and your horse.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Quote Originally Posted by DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho" View Post
    Absolutely. Barn owners and managers who do it right are not rolling in the big bucks. Do right by them, and they'll do right by you and your horse.
    Exactly how I feel. Applies to things outside the horse world as well.

Would you speak up if you were overcharged?

Of course you would. So it's only fair to have it go both ways.

Of course speak up. It does bother me when that sort of thing happens though as I begin to wonder about the health of the business in general. Are they forgetting their payables as well? Hopefully I just have a vivid imagination.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Definitely speak up. A local tack store/feed store had a computer error and didn't charge me for about $200 worth of merchandise (ran the card, showed up then reversed itself). I checked my statement and saw I wasn't charged, and immediately called the manager to let them know. LOL Mgr said I was too honest! Didn't know that was possible. Ended up not charging me at all, but would have been happy to pay. Karma. Definitely Karma. And heck, its just the *right* thing to do. If I made an error, I'd be infinitely grateful if someone brought it to my attention, and I'd probably think a LOT higher of you for being so forthright.

Yes. BO, vet, farrier, everyone.

There is a limit however. One time my mother was given $20 extra at the bank drive thru. She was wearing her yard work clothes, so she circled back and waited in line and went thru the drive thru again. The teller told her she had to go inside!! My mother went into the bank, stood in line again, and gave back the $20.

And the teller didn't thank her. So if Bank of America ever gives me too much $ at the atm that I use, I'll not return it because of their rude treatment of my mother.

Of course you point to their mistake, if it is in your favor or theirs.

When our old paint was staying at the vets for his last operation, he missed his trim appointment, so their farrier did it and they forgot to charge for it.
    I saw that and called, found what it was and mailed a check.

If they had charged twice, I also would have called and asked why.

Right is right, regardless of who may benefit from mistakes.

Yeah, so one day I was buying groceries and noticed they bagged my gallon of milk but didn't actually scan it. I mentioned it and paid for my milk. That was ~ $3. I'd definitely mention other things.

Like...my horse was playing in the field with his buddy and the buddy ripped off the front buckles to his turnout blanket. BO is letting him borrow a blanket and has already ordered him a replacement and when I tried to pay her for it she told me it was on her since it was one of her horses that did it.

I mean, seriously, she didn't have to do that, stuff happens in the field and I totally expected to have to pay for the replacement.

(I am now looking for places in the Howard county vicinity of MD to get the old turnout repaired so I have a backup in case something like this happens in the future, if anybody wants to PM me with suggestions. )
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

in the tiny cottage behind three maple trees

Quote Originally Posted by DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho" View Post
    This! And karma's a bitch.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

Always. Or if someone undercharges me or gives me too much change I'll also quietly give it back to them.

About 1/2 way though December, I realized I hadn't paid my board yet. I RAN out to the barn, money in hand and began babbling an apology! The BO stopped me and said.."Sure you did." she says, "No, really, I didn't...I KNOW I didn't...Remember? I was away at the beginning of the month?"
    "Huh...well...I'm sure you did...Ho, ho, ho..."

I'm not sure what happened, but I KNOW I didn't pay for December.

So, I told her I'd take a month of 1/2 training when it got warmer!

Another strange thing...I was at a Tim's, and the person in front of me paid for my coffee! What a surprise! That was nice. I'm going to do that.

NJR

I was raised with my father's mantra, "Always do the right thing," so it would be unimaginable for me to stiff the b/o for something I owed. Pay up.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    the ethical and right thing is to speak up.
    I would love to have you as a boarder or just a friend.

I always speak up and get really tired of it when dealing with my feed store. I have no idea how they stay in business. Nine out of 10 deliveries are wrong and it's always in my favor. Now, I generally only order shavings as I still head there to pick up grain. They frequently forget to charge me tax or even the delivery fee, neither are a big amount but the last delivery they really screwed up.

I had ordered 105 bales of shavings. They delivered 105 bales of shavings, did charge tax and even remembered the delivery charge BUT they only charged me for 50 bales. It was almost a $300 error in my favor.

I called it in and told them that the next time they screwed up a bill in my favor I was going to the store manager, not that I thought that would do any good.
    Sue

I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    I would love to have you as a boarder or just a friend.

I always speak up and get really tired of it when dealing with my feed store. I have no idea how they stay in business. Nine out of 10 deliveries are wrong and it's always in my favor. Now, I generally only order shavings as I still head there to pick up grain. They frequently forget to charge me tax or even the delivery fee, neither are a big amount but the last delivery they really screwed up.

I had ordered 105 bales of shavings. They delivered 105 bales of shavings, did charge tax and even remembered the delivery charge BUT they only charged me for 50 bales. It was almost a $300 error in my favor.

I called it in and told them that the next time they screwed up a bill in my favor I was going to the store manager, not that I thought that would do any good.
    Country Max by chance?? They already lost my friend's business after messing up her feed/bedding delivery for 10 weeks in a row....I hate them as well. Terrible service, and not very good prices.
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

I would always say something. Heck, last time I went food shopping, the cashier gave me a £10 rather than a £5 in my chance. I gave her a £5 back.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

You did the right thing in speaking up. Good character is worth much more than any amount of mistaken cash.