The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Any "womanly sized riders" riding in the Mountain Horse Richmond High Riders?

My calf, fully flexed and loosely measured but without breeches, is a 17.3. The wide calf size of these goes up TO a 17.3... The VTO sale will make these a heck of a deal, but non-returnable.

Think its worth the risk? Can I have them stretched 1/4 inch if they don't fit?

http://www.vtosaddlery.com/Merchant2...ory_Code=BOOTS

I don't have the Richmonds, but have the MH Sportives and they did stretch quite a bit. Good luck! I love my MH!

They will work, they stretch a lot. The zippers are tough, and the gusset is VERY flexible. I bought a pair thinking they'd fit if I lost a few pounds and they still fit even though I gained a few pounds.

I'm curious as to how they fit in the foot. I need that wide of a calf but it does me no good if the footbed is the least bit narrow so I can't get my foot in them!

Thanks.
    Snap Dragon's mom.

Quote Originally Posted by Scootie View Post
    I'm curious as to how they fit in the foot. I need that wide of a calf but it does me no good if the footbed is the least bit narrow so I can't get my foot in them!

Thanks.
    I have been told that they run big in the foot AND wide, also, so if you usually size up for width, you may be okay with your normal size.

My calves (with clothing) measured 17" at the widest point, and I could not get the Richmonds zipped. They were a good 1" shy of closing. The Dover clerk where I tried them on (in Lexington) couldn't believe it.

Now that I think about it, I wish I had tried on another pair just in case that particular pair was abnormal. I didn't think of that at the time, though, because I was so disappointed.
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

I bought my regular shoe size and they fit great. I have wide feet (at least they match the rest of me!)

seabreeze, were you trying on the wide calf Richmonds? My calves measure 17.5" at the widest point and the wide calves work for me.

The first couple of times I wore mine I used pliers to pull up the zipper, then the elastic in the gusset stretched enough that I could pull it up by hand. The zipper is heavy enough to allow that.

What about the winter fusions?

(they're on TOTD today, but I see that VTO has them cheaper with the sale)

I'm debating getting them. I have winter paddock boots already and a pair of tall boots so I don't need another pair of boots but these are just calling my name, and you can't beat the price!

(it's funny, I've never been that interested in regular shoes but I have bought at least five pairs of boots since I started riding again, used every single one of them, and keep looking for more!)
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Quote Originally Posted by seabreeze View Post
    My calves (with clothing) measured 17" at the widest point, and I could not get the Richmonds zipped. They were a good 1" shy of closing. The Dover clerk where I tried them on (in Lexington) couldn't believe it.

Now that I think about it, I wish I had tried on another pair just in case that particular pair was abnormal. I didn't think of that at the time, though, because I was so disappointed.

Are you also short? This is what I've found with trying on tall boots, I have very wide calves so it's hard to find boots wide enough that fit. The ones that seem to come close I think would fit if my legs were longer. It's just that the wide part of my calf starts before the wide part of the boot does. It's a huge bummer, kind of a "so close, yet so far" kind of thing. I have yet to see any kind of wide-calf option in short length boots. It only seems to be offered for regular or tall.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

bumping this...I measure a 16" calf bare leg. I wear an 8 or 8.5. Tried on the MH Venice today in an 8 wide and they didn't even come close to fitting. Does the Richmond truly run wider? The size chart says they should fit me fine especially if I size up to a 9 but I'm nervous after a tough day trying on boots that didn't come close to fitting my "athletic" calves oh and they look short. I measure an 18" from heel to back of knee and I absolutely abhor boots that are too short on me.

Well, if you get them and they don't fit, you can always post them on Ebay. MH boots seem to sell well, especially new.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

FWIW, I did get the boots, and they do fit.

I really want to try them but think they will be too short. I measure 18" from bottom of heel to back of the knee so there is not enough height to allow for the drop. How do they seem to run height-wise for you?

Mine are plenty tall- not sure what I measure, though, but I'm 5'9".

Okay, here's the trick with fat calves and zippered boots: don't use the zippers. Just use boot pulls and put your boots on the old fashioned way.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Quote Originally Posted by eponacowgirl View Post
    Mine are plenty tall- not sure what I measure, though, but I'm 5'9".
    really? what size foot did you go with?

I think 10.5, but maybe 10. They're super comfy. Broke in over two or 3 rides.

just bumpin' am trying these boots (slightly used) and the 8 fits perfectly, and I really love how they look, however they really do run short. Luckily the have the nice high spanish tops but the boot doesn't come anywhere near the back of my knee, at least a full inch below. Granted these boots have already dropped a little and I'm hoping they may work, but boy oh boy I don't understand why they can't make these higher. Just wanted to give them some props for the nice fit otherwise

Rescuer Guest

Hey ladies,

Just wondering... did any of you who measured between 17" and 18" for your calf width get away with the 8 wides? To get the full 17.3 it looks like I need to get the 9 and I'm worried the shoe part will be too big for my foot that usually takes an 8 in the ariat paddock boots.

PS- totally joined this board because of the womanly riders unite thread. YeAO!

Rescuer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hb View Post
    I bought my regular shoe size and they fit great. I have wide feet (at least they match the rest of me!)

seabreeze, were you trying on the wide calf Richmonds? My calves measure 17.5" at the widest point and the wide calves work for me.

The first couple of times I wore mine I used pliers to pull up the zipper, then the elastic in the gusset stretched enough that I could pull it up by hand. The zipper is heavy enough to allow that.
    What foot size did you order??