The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default High-neck turnout blankets- do you like them?

I am looking for a replacement blanket since my lovely mare decided to shred hers. One that's on sale is a high -neck turnout. My horse is out pretty much 24/7, have never used a high neck before.

If you have one, do you like it? Dislikes? Thanks in advance!

I don't really like them much, but when my horse is at my trainer's there is no shelter in the pastures like I have at home, so I do like having just the slightly high-necked ones, as they keep her shoulders from getting wet when it's snowing/raining really hard. I only like the ones with the very slight neck, though--like the Rambo/Rhino ones. As much as I like Schneiders blankets, the high-neck one I bought last year fit really poorly and rubbed Bonnie like crazy. I gave it away.
    Click here before you buy.

The only high necked blanket I've had experience with is my Rhino Wug. Compared to my other blankets, I like it best. It keeps the rain from leaking in on my horses shoulders and it doesn't put as much pressure on his withers as some of my regular necked blankets. I can tell that he gets sensitive around his withers when he wears any of the regular necked blankets for an extended period of time, but no problems when wearing the high necked one for a while.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

Have only used the Rambo high neck blankets, and LOVE them. No rubs (on multiple horses) and it keeps shoulders dry, as the others have noted. However, I also like the Rambo w/the detachable hood, b/c if it is dry you don't need the extra coverage of the high neck. But if there is freezing rain or something the hood keeps their entire neck (and of course their shoulders) warm and dry, so it is even better in my opinion.

My TB's Rhino Wug (medium) is my favorite blanket by far. Keeps her shoulders dry, gives a little extra warmth, and does not rub.

We tend to get cold, blowy rainstorms in the low to mid 30's, and she lives in a covered corral with open sides (when she's not out in the pasture). This blanket has done well by her.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

I have a high neck Weatherbeeta and love it. It keeps the neck dry, warm and clean , and it takes the pressure off of the wither area.

Quote Originally Posted by lstevenson View Post
    I have a high neck Weatherbeeta and love it. It keeps the neck dry, warm and clean , and it takes the pressure off of the wither area.
    Have to totally agree here! I LOVE my high neck weatherbeeta. I have regular necks on a couple of my horses and hate that when I go to ride, their shoulders are wet!
    Tracy Anderson
    Cornerstone Farm - Breeders of quality sport prospects for the amateur and professional
    www.cornerstone-farm.ca
    We're now on facebook! Follow us here

I have to disagree.

While I loved the Weatherbeeta blankets themselves, and I loved that the high necks kept drafts and rain out - these blankets caused chiro problems in both of my mares the 3 years I used them. By January, they were both sore and needed adjustments.

I'm a slow learner.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Love them.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Love them. With qualifications. Don't love my Rider's Northwinds. The neck openings aren't big enough The Rambos rubbed the heck out of my big shouldered TB, but work on the thinner kids. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Weatherbeetas with the freestyle system. Have had rubs grow back while my kids wore the WBs.
    -Jessica

I have used a rhino "high" neck for 2 seasons and it fits very well and does seem to offer more protection. I do feel however that when it gets warmer again you need to get it off faster but that is not really a problem.

I prefer the detachable neck cover types for most of mine. The high-neck "wug" cut just doesn't fit my broader horses in the shoulder that well, and I just never have been crazy about the fit. But I do have a couple that I use as 2nd string blankets when the others are in the wash, or for youngsters that haven't gotten broad in the shoulder yet.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

My horse is very comfortable in his "turtleneck" Rhino Wugs. They seem much less drafty than a regular neck and the cut keeps water from dripping down onto the chest when he's not fussed enough by the rain to go into his shed. I also think that they fit him the best of any rug I've used on him; they suit his massive shoulder without giving him rubs. Besides, there's nothing cuter than a Tip in a turtleneck.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I have this one
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/riders-...-24402A/cn/59/

for my narrower TB and love it.

I think it may depend on where you live. I am in a climate that doesn't experience many extreme weather conditions, but I do have a high neck blanket for those rare "extreme" conditions where it will be a cold night with wind and rain. For us, a cold night is mid-30's and even with wind chill it may get to low 30's.

My high neck blanket is a Gladiator Blizzard, but I have only used it 2x so far this season and my horse has a high trace clip. On other rainy nights my horse is just fine with a standard neck Weatherbeeta Orican. She is also a TB.

I do like how the high neck blankets keep more of the rain out, so if you are in an area that gets a lot of rain in a short amount of time, your horse may be better off in a high neck.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

high neck lines are better if you have trouble with any rug then you havent measured it properly to your horse
    so
    measure from wither to tail
    measure from chest to tail
    and measure from wither to elbow

then chose a rug thats high neck line and darted schoudlers this way the horse can move freely without it slipping back well shouldnt do if you have measured it corrrectly
    then with x over straps adjust them to the lenght to hold the rug snugly and x them over if however there is no more room on the adjusting clip hen simply x them again and if need be again
    same to with back straps adjust the leg strap to above the hock about 3inches above it, so horse doesnt get his legs caught by having the strap to low
    then loop one leg strap into the other leg strap if however they are still to long then x them agian

chest straps should be fitted tight and snug fillets strings should be fitted above the leg straps in the fillet holes and just under the tail adust to with of the top of the rug to hold the sides into place pull the tial through then tie off
    if you adjust the rug straps to make the rug fir snug and warm you wont have a problem with it
    if you buy a rug with darted or pleated schoulders then you wont have rug rubs on the schoulders
    and if you want to add extra warm add a poly warm underneath and adjust measure in the same way

if you measure the rugs as surgested and you want to go of a hood which is included into the rug - then there is no difference
    ie all in one --- as the higher than normal high neck line just adds a bit more protection around the base of the neck which comes up about 1/4 up the neck some have hoods or neck covers all inone which come completely up the neck to the ears of the horse again if its an all inne type of rug and you have measured it correctly then you wont have problem with it sliipping back and in warmer days can tuck the hood part inside the rug over his withers
    or out side but then if the its windy it might upset the horse
    if how ever you buyng a neck cover a seperate then they do come in pony cob or full and really depends on the neck lenght so if you have a small tb for exsample then a medium hood would do or cob size

but be aware seperate hoods have a gap when the horse is eating
    and wet can get down the gap and can cuase rainrot so be aware to check your horse on a dialy basics and starighten his rug if need be and check his neck cover straighten and re adjust and feel inside his base of neck and wither area as if one is going to get rubs of any kind this is where it will be and why if that happens you might need to re think having a neck cover as a seperate
    also remember any type of rub on the wither or back regions you must rest the horse till its gone away dont ride the horse as he is sore and you make that little sore that you could have got rid off in a couple days of one that might last weeks and if continued to do so might last months then becomes permanat back damage

i LOVE wugs! Don't currently have one on hand, but have had great luck with them, also with the weatherbeeta higher (kind of like a turtleneck type) neck.

I like them and prefer them to the detachable neck rugs.

My favorite is the Rambo Wug/Rhino Wug
    Like the Weatherbeeta Orican
    Hate: the Schneider's - they don't fit anything I've ever seen and cause horrible pressure sores and usually require a chiropractor after one wearing.
    "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."

Quote Originally Posted by alteringwego View Post
    Hate: the Schneider's - they don't fit anything I've ever seen and cause horrible pressure sores and usually require a chiropractor after one wearing.
    Which one in particular from Schneiders are you referring to?

Simply curious as to which one to stay away from. Thanks!

I find them to be more difficult to fit to horses than standard blankets, but if they fit properly, I like them.

They always seem too low-set, even for stock breeds, WBs, and TBs.

Seems like all the horses in my life have fat necks, too I never could find one to fit Alibar's bull neck.
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website