The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trailer "Necessities" and "Stuff"

I'm in the process of purchasing a BrenderUp Solo, my first horse trailer It should be here before the end of January. Since this is my first horse trailer, I'm not sure what I need.

Some suggestions I've received are chocks, wheel dock, heavy-duty coupler lock, and a trailer-aid (in case of a flat). Any suggestions as to type or brands or are they all basically the same? Any other "need" to have or "nice" to have items? Since the Solo doesn't have tack room, I thought I would buy one of the Rubbermaid heavy-duty plastic totes to store stuff in.

And what about insurance? Will my auto insurance company cover the trailer?

I wish now I had thought to ask these questions when I was catching rides with friends

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ride and Run View Post
    I'm in the process of purchasing a BrenderUp Solo, my first horse trailer
    Good choice! I drove one too. Hope you budgeted for a transmission cooler.

Some suggestions I've received are chocks, wheel dock, heavy-duty coupler lock, and a trailer-aid (in case of a flat).
    Trailer-aid is arguably a legitimate need. Chocks can be anything that will hold the wheel still: the $5 plastic chocks from Wal-mart, bricks, or pieces of 2x4. A wheel dock, at least in my world, = old Gladware lid or kitty litter bucket cover. You don't want your wheel dock to be anything you're going to curse and scream about when it's frozen to the ground or stuck deep in the mud.

Coupler locks are not particularly effective, but they're than htan nothing I guess. I use a more elaborate trailer lock that attaches to the wheel. It won't deter every single thief but it will deter most.

I also carry one of those little air compressors for tires in my car, a tire inflator, dielectric grease for the electric plug, a cross-jack in an appropriate size to loosen my trailer tire's lug nuts, duct tape, WD-40, and cheap landscaping gloves. And of course, emergency first aid supplies for horse and rider.

In the "non-necessities" category, I also carry The Clip to tie to the inside and/or outside of the trailer and Hitchin' Rods to make hitching my rig quick and easy.

Since the Solo doesn't have tack room, I thought I would buy one of the Rubbermaid heavy-duty plastic totes to store stuff in.
    Again, not strictly a "need", but nice to have I guess. You can probably find them on clearance this time of year in Xmas colors. Unless I'm going to a show, I just throw stuff in my tow vehicle without using boxes. For shows, I prefer the Stanley rolling tool boxes from Home Depot, which are easier to roll between the stabling area and the trailer.

[QUOTE[And what about insurance? Will my auto insurance company cover the trailer?[/QUOTE]

Call them to confirm, but generally speaking, they will cover your tow vehicle under whatever coverage you already have (even if you were towing at the time of the accident), but the payout will not extend to the trailer itself. If you want a payout on the trailer, you'll need to purchase a separate policy for the trailer.

Thanks for the feedback! That's just the info I need. I hadn't though about the rolling boxes; I'll have to look into those. I'm used to throwing stuff in boxes or duffle bags when taking my dogs to agility trials, so I figured I'd have a "dog box" and a "horse box" for travel.

And yep, I've had a transmission cooler installed - at the strong recommendation of my mechanic

For insurane you'll have to ask your company. My old company insured the trailers individually, but the new one does not...the trailer is covered by the vehicle towing it now. Something like that...aka: just call them

The rest of your ideas sound good to me! I love trailer aides!

Congratulations on your new SOLO! I absolutely loff my Brenderup, which I bought new in 2003. No repairs, no issues, and I haul it with my Volvo sedan! BTW, an intercooler is standard on Volvos, my S80 is rated for 3,300 lbs towing capacity.

jn4jenny has some great tips, including the wheel dock - a scrap board works great, especially when the freeze/thaw cycle starts here in northern Illinois. I too use a Stanley rolling toolbox, and actually haul that in the Solo trailer, in the front V part, under the horse's hay net. I use a bungee cord to keep it from rolling under my OTTB's legs while in transit. Never had an issue during all these years of eventing in the area.

I have a seperate trailer insurance policy, which covers replacement cost for the trailer alone, say if it were lost in a fire... just paid the premium, which totals less than $50 per year... definitely worth it for the extra piece of mind.

Congrats on the new trailer! Being mobile is completely awesome.

My trailer doesn't have a tack room either, but I've become adept at organizing and securing large amounts of stuff in the front, lol. I have one of these containers, which is okay but not the greatest. The Stanley trunk is on my list of things to buy when I have extra money.

You'll probably want some sort of manure fork and bucket. Of course a first aid kit for the horse. I also carry a reflective safety vest in the truck in case I end up changing a tire on the side of the highway.

I also carry The Clip in my trailer, plus a couple spares -- since they are mandatory equipment for anyone who hauls with me (I like my tie rings to stay attached, thank you very much ). I think they are an important safety feature for the horse.

My vehicle insurance covers the vehicle and $500 of the value of the trailer while it is hooked to the vehicle. It does not cover trailer contents.

In order to get separate full coverage insurance on the trailer through my company (Progressive), your trailer has to have living quarters with plumbing. They won't do a separate insurance policy on anything else. I think State Farm will, though, so it might be worth checking into other companies if yours doesn't offer it. My friend has a State Farm policy that covers the works, hail damage and everything. Very cheap.

One last thing I'd like to have (but don't) is a USRider travel plan. It's like AAA, except they'll cover your trailer too. I've heard nothing but great reviews of them.

Have fun with your new trailer!

Congrats on the trailer!!! Now you are really free to go wherever you like! We don't show, we just like to trail ride (so no show gear in our trailer) but we store most of our stuff in heavy duty plastic tubs and they are handy b/c you can step on them to climb up into the gooseneck area.

Regarding the insurance - the general rule of thumb is that the liability coverage (for damage and injury to others) follows the tow vehicle. Meaning if you were to cause an accident and somehow it got blamed on how you were hauling/hooking up the trailer - the liability coverage on the truck (pulling the trailer) would provide coverage for that, and you do not need to buy separate and/or add'l liability coverage for the trailer.

For physical damage to the trailer (theft, fire, hail, collision etc) you need to purchase collision and/or 'other than collision' coverage on the trailer. Our trailer policy costs about $80/year - we have no LQ (just stock with a dressing room), bought our policy through Amica who we have our auto and home with.

Typically the personal property inside the trailer (tack and all your 'stuff') would be covered by your homeowners policy (or farm policy as the case may be). A few companies will cover the personal property in the rig under the auto insurance, but most address it under the homeowners policy.

One more thing: Your Trailer Aid can double as one of your wheel chocks, so don't feel obliged to buy two sets of chocks!

Default anti sway bar system gizmo

If this trailer is a bumper pull, these things can save your life and your horses' lives. I would never pull a BP without this device.

When I was a kid, we had a 2 horse bp that we pulled with a giant panel station wagon and the anti-sway bars were worth their weight in gold.

I now have a gn and I agree that the big tupperware box is a must, especially for those days when you are out in the rain. A muck bucket, broom and pitchfork are also important so you can clean up after yourself wherever you go.

I also keep a syringe of sedative for the horses in the glove compartment when I haul in case, God forbid, of an accident.

Have fun with your new trailer!

Quote Originally Posted by chai View Post
    When I was a kid, we had a 2 horse bp that we pulled with a giant panel station wagon and the anti-sway bars were worth their weight in gold.
    The way that a Brenderup is designed, anti-sway bars would do little/nothing to stabilize the trailer. IThe trailer already has cambered wheels that help keep the trailer running straight, an aerodynamic design that virtually eliminates trailer sway from passing vehicles by dispersing the wind resistance, and a built-in trailer suspension system that absorbs what little sway is left over. Seriously, if you didn't SEE the semi trucks passing my Brenderup on the interstate, you'd swear that nobody was passing.

I agree that anti-sway bars are worth their weight in gold with a traditional bumper pull model.

I think my Luggable Loo is a necessity for the trailer, but I started a separate thread to see what other options people have come up with.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Just guessing here, but I suspect the anti-sway system would interfere with the Brenderup's braking system.

Default Insurance

My trailer is insured in a separate policy with State Farm. I have had this coverage with them for years. I think it is important in case of loss when you are not towing it (such as fire, tree falling on it, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    The way that a Brenderup is designed, anti-sway bars would do little/nothing to stabilize the trailer. IThe trailer already has cambered wheels that help keep the trailer running straight, an aerodynamic design that virtually eliminates trailer sway from passing vehicles by dispersing the wind resistance, and a built-in trailer suspension system that absorbs what little sway is left over. Seriously, if you didn't SEE the semi trucks passing my Brenderup on the interstate, you'd swear that nobody was passing.

I agree that anti-sway bars are worth their weight in gold with a traditional bumper pull model.
    One of the things my dad (the automotive engineer) LOVED about hauling our Brenderup (though he has not seemed overenthused about teaching me to pull it, assuming I get a truck that can.) Really not a difficult trailer in terms of sway at all. In fact that only issue he says to this day the ONLY thing he would change about ours would be maybe electrical brakes. Maybe. He did all the research when we got it and again, automotive engineer, so he was Mr. Picky, and we ended up with a 2-horse Brenderup. It's still in great condition, hence my thinking my next car is going to be something with a bumper hitch and tow capacity for it.

We have the wheel dock, and I think we use pieces of wood for chocks, which have always worked fine. I WOULD suggest unless they've revised how they make the floors that you put a drain hole in--we did in ours after the first time we cleaned it and realized the water was pooling on the floor. It's been sitting for years under a shed and when I went in to get something out of the tack trunk I checked the floors, and they're great--I could haul tomorrow if the tires are good.

I would strongly consider getting a few of The Clip or Blocker Tie Rings. My godparents own a Brenderup and had a horse try to throw himself over backwards while tied to it. Bent the frame enough that the back ramp needs a shove to get into place.

By having a few tie rings that allow a rope to slide through when pulled back on, you eliminate this problem. I would suggest getting a few heavy duty carabiners to put them on as well, so you can clip the rings to the outside of the trailer easily.

Default didn't know that about that trailer

What about a horse throwing a fit back there? This is always a concern of mine too with BPs. What keeps the trailer straight with big horses coming apart at the seams?

Human and horse first aid kit.
    Couple of spare halters/lead ropes.
    Warning triangle.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by paintjumper View Post
    What about a horse throwing a fit back there? This is always a concern of mine too with BPs. What keeps the trailer straight with big horses coming apart at the seams?
    See above re: built-in suspension system. It is stiff and strong, certainly strong enough to stand up to a horse freakout. I've seen it do so, in fact I had a front row seat for one of them (was standing in front of the chest bar). Thankfully that was not my trailer and not my horse.

But I do use The Clip (as I would with any trailer) to help avoid an incident like the one described above.

Ride and Run -

I share in your excitement. I just ordered a Brenderup solo this week as well. Jn4jenny's answers to my questions put me over the edge. I had been vacillating for almost a year.

Yippee!

I was told that Brenderup got a container load from Denmark and they will be assembling the new trailers from that.

BTW - I will drive to Texas to pick mine up on 22 January. I am paying $8200 and the dealer is throwing in a spare cover and hitch lock.