The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How to make a barn cat into a house cat!

I got a barn cat last night. He is about 5 months old and not yet neutered. I have two 1.5 year old cats, one male (neutered), one female (spayed). The female cat does not really like other cats, but the male usually LOVES them. I thought he would be really happy to have a new friend.
    This barn cat was at a barn with 8 other cats, and never over-interacted with them. He was quite independent actually, and more into hanging out with people than anything else.
    He arrived at my house and will not leave my cats alone! He just follows them around meowing and sits and stares at them. This behavior is driving my cats crazy. I have never seen my male cat so upset. When I separate them the barn cat just howls. I did not sleep at all last night until I went and slept on the couch with the barn cat.
    Is this normal behavior? Will he learn to independent as he was on the farm?!!

He'll be fine, just give him some time to settle in. And get him fixed ASAP, it's so hard for those boys to function normally when they've still got their boys! :P

He will settle down. And probably get independent again. He is most likely just a little overwhelmed at this point. I would neuter him ASAP as that will help a lot. Your cats will accept him better once he is "the same as they are". We have one un-neutered cat on this farm, because I can't catch him. He follows the cats, sniffing and being a pest. I think he's looking for a date . The sputered cats don't appreciate him at all . They are looking forward to the day Mom catches him and makes him like them

Give it a few days. I once took in a stray, who proceeded to sit in the kitchen sink and howl for three days. She eventually settled in.

Does the new cat have anywhere of his very own to curl up in? You might consider taking a bit of old blanket or towel to the barn, leaving it overnight where the barn cats sleep, then bringing it home and putting it where you want the new cat to sleep.

Also, perhaps engaging all three cats in a game of chase the paper ball, or some such, so that they get to interact socially.

Maybe a bit of catnip would help to break the ice. Also, the new cat likely needs his very own litter box.

We got ours at four months old and kept her in the bathroom for two weeks.
    I spent much of my free time sitting on the floor on a saddle blanket, reading and letting the feral cat get used to me and eventually she became a cuddlebug.

You have to give them time and do whatever it takes, whatever you can figure, as you did sleeping with the cat on the sofa the first night.

Cats are rather mercenary, they march to their own drummers and they won't get so attached they have separation anxiety like dogs, they only are attached when they need you and then forget it.

Someone said dogs have owners and cats have servants.

Default Less than a week

He will be fine ~ in just a little time especially since he has the company of two other cats.. I would recomened that "neuter" ASAP you do not want him to start to mark his territory because he is stressed in a new environment.
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

All good advice, but I can't believe we're up to 7 posts and NO ONE HAS ASKED FOR PICS!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by horsewithdrawal1 View Post
    I got a barn cat last night. He is about 5 months old and not yet neutered. I have two 1.5 year old cats, one male (neutered), one female (spayed). The female cat does not really like other cats, but the male usually LOVES them. I thought he would be really happy to have a new friend.
    This barn cat was at a barn with 8 other cats, and never over-interacted with them. He was quite independent actually, and more into hanging out with people than anything else.
    He arrived at my house and will not leave my cats alone! He just follows them around meowing and sits and stares at them. This behavior is driving my cats crazy. I have never seen my male cat so upset. When I separate them the barn cat just howls. I did not sleep at all last night until I went and slept on the couch with the barn cat.
    Is this normal behavior? Will he learn to independent as he was on the farm?!!
    get him done, becuase i doubt he is and this is what upsetting you male cat and why hes following the female

Your barn cat is probably trying to figure out if his new living arrangement is just a dream!

I have taken in many barn cats or feral cats and eventually they all come around. However, I have two suggestions for you.

I never just drop a new cat into the mix, especially a barn cat. I keep the new cat separated in a room until the other cats can figure out that there's someone new in the house and I can make sure the barn cat is healthy. I had one feral cat that took 3 months to come out from under the dresser in our guest room when she saw me enter the room, so I put the dresser up on books, discovered Rescue Remedy, an herbal relaxant/antianxiety concoction, and she is now a complete love bug who rules the house. I just gave her RR to help her overcome her fear, and then she was fine. I make the introductions slowly so none of the cats are stressed.

I would also suggest that you get the new cat spayed ASAP or your house will smell like a gigantic litter box in no time. Male cats will spray to mark their territory, and he may become aggressive toward your other cats.

It's nice of you to give your barn kitty a home. I think they get it, and they are always appreciative of the good life after moving from the barn to the house.