The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Is beet pulp okay for dogs?

I occasionally toss the dogs a beet pup pellet as a treat since that is usually what I have in my pocket. They really like them, but are they okay health wise? I am talking 2 or 3 small pellets a day tops when they are especially good at coming when I call, etc .
    "When life gives you scurvy, make lemonade."

The bag I have says it is for "All Animal Classes"....

Personally, I don't think it would be a problem as long as it is in moderation. Everything is ok in moderation! :-)
    They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken...

I don't dare set the bucket down with BP ...my GSD dives into it like she is starving. Nope, hasn't hurt her yet.
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I wouldn't feed a small dog more than 2-3 pellets (they do suck water in and "fluff" up!). My dogs will literally fight over soaked BP if I dare set the bucket down. God forbid I take down a feeder that has BP and rice bran left in it!! The stampede of dogs can knock one off one's feet
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I dunno. I almost lost a cat once who had eaten beep shreds. He basically had an impaction. Poor kitty!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

yeah. Mine are all over the beet pulp.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

My dog dives into the soaked bp every chance she gets, but I'm not sure I'd give her the pellets. Besides the begger in her gets enough treats anyway.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

Well - my dog thinks feed time at the barn is the best thing in life. Any BP that falls to the ground when dispensed is fair game. She will eat right from the ground feeder with the horses (had to stop that), and loves to lick clean the empty bucket.

The only issue I've had is she like to sleep next to me, and the extra fiber is very noticable Lately DH has asked me not to take her out at feed time because she get so gassy she can evacuate the room.

Default Beet

I had a dog here on holiday at Christmas, and she got into my (safely stored away - or so I thought) dry beet pellets. She ate a large quantity, and lets just say it darn near killed her. I only discovered shed done it, when I notice she was getting fatter by the hour, and then she vomitted up a huge amount of wet pulp.

Thankfully we got her to the vets etc, and all was well, but after that experience Im not sure that I personally would be encouraging eating dry beet even as a treat ;-)

She had inside her, more beet than I'd feed my horses....very lucky doggie not to have had an impaction or burst gut.

The vet said that the product itself is not poison/harmful, its what it physically does to them (ie large amounts can swell and cause impactions etc) that is the issue. So in that respect, a few pellets here and there doesnt sound like it would be harmful?

I wouldn't give them dry pellets, but our barn cat loves the wet beet pulp. He eats it out of his best buddy's bucket, my grey STB. Together they are the two grey geldings - one about 15.2 hands, the other about 1.5 hands.

I looked on the topic "oil for dog with itchy face". In that post, someone posted a link to a board that is called dog food analysis. I looked up different dog foods and came across this food with comments on beet pulp:
    http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...duct=844&cat=6