The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Mare showing strong heat, for extended period of time?

I've hesitated posting this for a couple days, because I've been trying to google answers... not having any luck.

Anyways, I've got a mare who's been in STRONG heat for about 14 days now. This mare is coming 20, I plan to attempt to breed her once more this coming Spring. Her last foal was in 2003 I believe. She's always been one to show heat well, but this is getting out of control. I have a new stallion, who is in a paddock about 80ft away from the pasture she typically lives in with one other open mare, and a pregnant mare. Another stallion lives about 60ft away from her pasture, and she's paying no attention to him. I've had her for two years, known her for 10ish years, and never seen her this ridiculous. She is showing all the classic signs of 'standing heat'. I have two other stallions on the property currently, and she never had acted like this towards them. None of the stallions here do live cover, although I *think* this mare might have been live covered in the past.

The mare is completly obsessed with the new stallion, for lack of better terms. I got him out today and I thought she was going to try to jump over the fence. She was literally running the fenceline, screaming, and pressing hard against the pipe panel fence. I was afraid she was going to injure herself, so I locked her in a stall. Normally this mare stalls well. I was sure she was going to kick my barn down. I can move her, but she will always been in sight, or smell I guess, of one of the three stallions.

My question is, could this be indictive of something I need to be concerned about? Obviously it's not normal. She's always had long heat cycles, but not this obnoxious standing heat for this long. She is more of a management problem currently than any of the three stallions have EVER been, if that puts things into perspective.
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

She's in loff...

I've had mares go absolutely nuts over a new boy.

If the discharge is persistent or unusually smelling, or dark etc., then worth a check.

But if it's just behaviour... she's in loff.

And I just wrote a rather long answer to JoZ's post about heat this time of year. It's a regular, predictable occurance where I am.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Quote Originally Posted by Dressage_Diva333 View Post
    I've hesitated posting this for a couple days, because I've been trying to google answers... not having any luck.

Anyways, I've got a mare who's been in STRONG heat for about 14 days now. This mare is coming 20, I plan to attempt to breed her once more this coming Spring. Her last foal was in 2003 I believe. She's always been one to show heat well, but this is getting out of control. I have a new stallion, who is in a paddock about 80ft away from the pasture she typically lives in with one other open mare, and a pregnant mare. Another stallion lives about 60ft away from her pasture, and she's paying no attention to him. I've had her for two years, known her for 10ish years, and never seen her this ridiculous. She is showing all the classic signs of 'standing heat'. I have two other stallions on the property currently, and she never had acted like this towards them. None of the stallions here do live cover, although I *think* this mare might have been live covered in the past.

The mare is completly obsessed with the new stallion, for lack of better terms. I got him out today and I thought she was going to try to jump over the fence. She was literally running the fenceline, screaming, and pressing hard against the pipe panel fence. I was afraid she was going to injure herself, so I locked her in a stall. Normally this mare stalls well. I was sure she was going to kick my barn down. I can move her, but she will always been in sight, or smell I guess, of one of the three stallions.

My question is, could this be indictive of something I need to be concerned about? Obviously it's not normal. She's always had long heat cycles, but not this obnoxious standing heat for this long. She is more of a management problem currently than any of the three stallions have EVER been, if that puts things into perspective.
    When mares are transitional, they can and will have extended heat cycles. It's all part of the hormone cascade and Mother Nature "priming the pipes" so to speak. So while it's early in the year for a mare to be transitional, it's not unusual, especially if you are in warmer climates.

The other thing is that mares that are anestrus, have no circulating levels of progesterone - the hormone that makes them think they need to kill the stallion. Indeed, ovarectomized mares are used as tease and jump mares, many of which require no exogenous hormones to get them to display estrus. Our own ovarectomized mare will usually tease quite happily to the boys without any hormone manipulation - not always, but usually. She's not particularly "enthusiastic", but will stand quietly, let them nuzzle her and will lift her tail and urinate. When given estradiol cypionate, she does as you describe and becomes a raging nymphomaniac - so we save that for those rare occasions when we need a bit more enthusiasm to entice a stallion .

And lastly and something to consider is that older mares will sometimes have ovaries that basically shrink up and become inactive. Those mares will often display estrus (again that lack of progesterone) and can be used for tease mares, as well. So, before breeding her, especially in light of her not having had a foal since 2003, I would have a full reproductive exam done to be sure that she is indeed still ovulating.

Good luck!
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity