The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Another OTTB owner curious about horse's history

Info on tatoo # 9917362???? A year ago I bought an OTTB-my first. She's taught me a lot already. Moreover, she is extremely eager to please and has such a great mind- typical TB. I am very curious about her background, but haven't had any luck with the tattoo research...If anyone has a moment- Her name is Jills Best Jest, bay mare, foaled 3/3/99 by Best Jest out of Jills Cheap Thrill by Crazy Dimitri. She was bred by Elizabeth A Sweat in Indiana for John Stearns +Joyce Reece in Ky.I believe, there, the owner was Gerald Donahue. She was sold to a friend's trainer in 05, and has had a lot of time off. Her tatoo # is 9917362. Any help would be greatly appreciated!She is coming along in her new career, and really seems to enjoy having a job. We're taking our time. We will likely start low in the jumper ring next year. She really enjoys it! Thanks.

I can't look it up for you, but the first "number" of her tattoo will actually be a letter. The letter tells the age .. for example one of mine has an E and she's a 2001 model.

If your mare was indeed foaled in 1999, then she should be a C (however, I don't know for sure, I think some letters get skipped...this is where you lose me HAHA)

http://www.pedigreequery.com/jills+best+jest
    Thats the best I can help you with, but you've already listed most of that anyway.

Good luck!

?? I can't read some of the tattoo, so I typed in the # as listed on copy of coggins from 05.The first is a letter? So, maybe I should look for C9917362? Thanks for your reply anyway Happy holidays! (Edited to addI just found a jockey club phone #to call for history from tatoo. I've tried emailing, but maybe a phone call will be more helpful.
    Last edited by Blackberry Farm; Dec. 28, 2009 at 10:15 PM. Reason: add info

Not sure what additional info you're looking for- what you have is complete. Her tattoo is C17362- you replace the year she was born 1999 with the corresponding Jockey Club letter, which is C.

Horse Name- Jills Best Jest
    Tattoo- C17362
    Year of Birth- 1999
    Dam Name- Jills Cheap Thrill
    Color - Bay
    Sex- Mare

She ran four times, unplaced. You can order her race history from Brisnet or Equineline, or maybe someone here with an account will run the info for you and chime in.

http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pe...ts_indicator=Y

Equibase will give you the charts for all 4 lifetime starts for free (just have to sign up for a free account). Hasn't raced since October 2002.

There's nothing about her pedigree that's really going to jump out at you as being really special, except for the fact that she is 100% free of the Native Dancer line, which I personally find attractive.

As for her race record, she ran four times, unplaced, however she managed to bank $1,430.

7/28/02 ran 10th in a Maiden Claiming at Ellis Park.
    8/29/02 ran 4th in a Maiden Special Weight at Hoosier Park
    9/12/02 ran 10th in a Maiden Special Weight at Hoosier Park
    10/13/02 ran 5th in a Maiden Special Weight at Hoosier Park

Equibase will allow you to pull up the race charts for free, just go to www.equibase.com, and type in the horse's name in the "horse search" box on the left hand menu. Videos for her races are also there, but you must register for an account to view them.

Hope this helps!

Default Thanks so much :)

Thx so much.I was just curious to know if she ran, or was trained to run. (Everyone in HJ land asks those questions. I don't know anything about racing. A trainer (jumpers) I love to use when he's around has a brother into racing-Ocala.It's just interesting to know what she's done. I exercised a lovely OT g.prix jumper several years ago-won $52 Mine has a great mind, but is very sensitive to me. Her conformation is good for our long term goals. She's a big girl 17H, long stride, accepting. We're planning lvl 1-2 jumprs to start, and go from there. She won't go big, but I won't either.Thanks again for taking a minute to check her race history.I have her papers and print of lineage.

I personally like that Ack Ack is up so close...

Agree, though, her race record's unspectacular. Maybe because she's so tall she would have been a late bloomer? She also sounded rather unlucky-bumped twice, eased to dead last in one start.

Default I know it is far back

but double Double Jay as broodmare sire is kinda cool as he was John Henry's broodmare sire.
    does that make any sense?
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

Kind of interesting that she ran so far back as a maiden claimer and they bumped her up to MSW company and then quit on her. Either they really liked her and didn't want to risk losing her, or they genuinely thought she had some ability. One would think that the logical next step off the last start would be to drop her down into claiming company again and get an ITM finish.

Good luck with her! I love the OTTBs!
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.