The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Thumbs up "Burial Horses" Aid Wounded Veterans

This is a truly inspiring program.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...dia1&hpv=local
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

very, very touching and spiritually moving photographs. I think most times; people dont realize that horses still pay a HUGE role in the armed forces of the United States. Maybe one of the biggest roles- bringing fallen soldiers or soldiers who have passed on....to their final resting place.

If you've ever seen these horses carrying caskets to Arlington; it is one of the most beautiful sights you'll ever see. It silences everyone who is within watching distance. So nice to see them helping those injured soldiers. These horses truly are a gift to the army and those who serve. simply wonderful

If you're ever in the DC area, the stables at Ft Myer are well worth visiting and a soldier will give you a tour for free. I love that they are using the horses for therapy in addition to their more "formal" roles.
    Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.

Two of my horses are in the local therapy program, one in the little kid's group, the other for the more active clients, that can go without side walkers and at times on their own.
    Some of those clients are there thru the veteran's administration programs, are soldiers in need of that kind of therapy, just as those in the story here.

Those are wonderful programs, you ought to go volunteer for those if you ever have a chance and will realize what all our horses can do, not just for us, but for the less able of us also.
    Words and our imagination pale when you are there in person and get to experience that.

I regret to update this, but according to today's Washington Post Capt. Mariah Kochavi, the Army veterinarian who had suffered a stroke and was a participant featured in the article has died at Walter Reed Medical Center from complications of her stroke. The Washington Post article discusses her many contributions to animals at her various assignments, including starting an adoption program that has become very successful to help place animals of deploying Soldiers. My sympathies to her family and friends.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    I regret to update this, but according to today's Washington Post Capt. Mariah Kochavi, the Army veterinarian who had suffered a stroke and was a participant featured in the article has died at Walter Reed Medical Center from complications of her stroke. The Washington Post article discusses her many contributions to animals at her various assignments, including starting an adoption program that has become very successful to help place animals of deploying Soldiers. My sympathies to her family and friends.
    how terribly, terribly sad. she looked to be doing so well in the photos and so full of life and strength. God Speed to her. my condolences to her family, friends, and especially the animals that she filled her life with.

here is the article featured in the Post about her death:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...122802290.html

and here is the website dedicated to her recovery:

http://mariahsreemergence.com/

Oh, that is heartbreaking. I see the family wants to have her carried to Arlington by the horses she was working with.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I believe she qualifies for inurnment in the columbarium (cremated remains in the above-ground columbarium) but does not meet the requirements to be interred in-ground in Arlington. I *think*, if I understand Army ranks correctly, she would be entitled to a caisson burial. (Army captain is equivalent of full lieutenant in the Navy, right?) But again, only for cremains-if she joined up in '03 and died after a medical discharge she doesn't meet the in-ground requirments. Arlington has had to crack down on who they permit, as space is running out.

Dancer-since they added some acreage at Arlington a short while ago I think she is eligible for ground burial or columbarium, and definitely with a caisson ceremony. The riderless horse is for either Colonel and above or Generals. However, unless there is an opening in the schedule the service can be quite a few months delayed. There is immediate burial for Medal of Honor recipients and combat casualties, with all others being scheduled as time allows.

She certainly accomplished a lot during her time on earth.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

JollyBadger, I had no idea you could visit the stables. I pass them daily, and quite frequently see the horses out in their paddock. I'll have to look into stopping by when it warms up a bit!

That was a very nice article with some lovely pictures. What a sad postscript, though.

I checked Arlington's website--she's eligible for the columbarium only (unless she was considered an active-duty death or has a husband or child already interred, but I gathered not, or she received certain decorations, but most are combat-related.) I doubt it's considered circumstances worthy of an exemption, given how much space they've needed lately for combat deaths and how touchy they've gotten about it. There are lots of national cemeteries but everyone wants in to Arlington. (At least Teddy pretty much fit in where his brothers already were. Because if you asked me whether she or Ted deserved it more, well....)

BTW, if you get the Smithsonian Channel, I believe they actually cover the therapeutic program in their documentary on Arlington (the station's available on DirecTV's HD channels--I don't know if it's on Dish or HD cable.) I don't get it here (no high-def) but I've seen it repeated a few times when I've been at my parents'. It's a fascinating show, especially if you've never been to Arlington. Next time I'm in DC, though, I totally have to go see the caission horses, and visit Blackjack's grave on the parade ground.