The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Creative uses for baling twine?

What do you do with it? Right now I'm accumulating it in big balls...which is less than useful. I hate to throw it out, it just seems like such a waste.

I've made some dog toys, but they chewed them up too quickly.

I used to make them into haynets...but how many haynets does one *really* need?

And of course, I've used it (and duct tape) for repairs...but my twine collection seems to have outgrown the repairs that could use it.

What else could I do with twine?

Hmmmm... i have thought this many times myself! Do you remember macrame? Is that how it is spelled? From the late 70's or 80's? I have been thinking of turning it into hanging plant hangers and such in my spare time (hahahahahahaha!). I don't save most of mine, though. Only a little bit. It DOES seem like such a waste!

I have been known to use it as kitschy ribbon and bows for gifts to people at my barn.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I use it to tie the trash bags (actually shavings bags) closed when they are full. Not very creative, and doesn't use it up very fast either.

Oh, I did use two pieces tied together to get horse blanket measurements. Used the twine and a permanent marker to get the right length.

Someplace I saw someone that made doormats out of baling twine.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

hmmm lets see.

1) braided dog collars for outside/guard dogs.

2) strings to grow plants on in the garden.

3) emergency fence repair

4) emergency lead for stray dog/horse or whatever (I always have some in my car/truck)

5) tie-outs/hobbles for poultry

6)I haven't done this, but I'd bet they would make really interesting 'curtains' for a garden shed/tack room if they were 'woven' like the really long maned horses are (think Arabs/Fresians). You could use different colors (natural/green/red) and make patterns.

7) With enough of them (say a winter's supply), a braided door mat would be a distinct possibility also.

8) If they were braided into a flat, thick mat, they could probably be quite useful as a grooming tool as well.

9) Braided lengths with a loop at one end and a knot at the other end could be used to hold hoses/extension cords etc together to hang (think of the little thingies you see at the checkout counters at HD and Lowes to neaten up your hoses). If you aren't into braiding, tied loops work just as well - but they don't use quite as many up!

10) If you're really clever, you could weave one of those hanging chairs or even a hammock from them. They're certainly strong enough.

11) Use them to re- 'cane' an old chair seat with.

12) Take an old table or bench and wind the strings up the legs, tightly (so none of the original leg material shows through). Finish the top however you'd like and finish with polyurethene. Water/weather proof/resistant outdoor furniture with a rustic look.
    "The way to gain a good reputation is to endeavor to be what you desire to appear" ~ Socrates

I've braided the stuff into lead ropes, tie ropes, cross-tie rope, stall guards (not recommended for all but the quietest}, gate tying ropes, hose tying ropes, dozens of uses. I've only used from small squares as that twine is thicker and stronger than round bale twine, and I will braid a very long rope and cut off what I need. I do recall seeing in a Western Horseman years ago a pattern for a door mat from plastic twine...was crocheted and another that was looped sisal twine through canvas, but it was so long ago, probably the pattern doesn't exist except in their vaults or in someone's collection. I have been tempted to get me a big hook and use up the twine from the round bales that way. I know it doesn't make great cat toys, their claws make short work of the stuff. And now the brain is kicking over, and I might get creative and try a large net to drag hay inside or out, depending where the in use bales are....hmmmmmmmm would work better than a tarp.

Never thought of using twine for chair seats or even restringing lawn chairs (would need a pad, of course) or a hanging chair....hmmmmmmm it's gonna be a long winter
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Thumbs up Are we green?!!

So if we DO find uses for it; are we being "green"!!!???
    I use my green & orange twine for my "redneck fence repairs" of the wire fence. I just KNOW it really impresses the hunt when they come through and see it!!!
    Cross ties, and all the previous mentioned uses too. It makes good halters too ya know! Tack pieces. And think macrame'. Do all ya'll even know what that is?!!

I use it to tie up my stacks of recycled newspaper, cardboard and magazines for easy lifting . I also use it for "redneck" fence repairs and it works just fine until a permanet repair can be made. I like the doormat idea!

I shake the hay off and collect the nylon twine in an old feed bag.
    The sisal twine rots nicely in the compsot in a few months, but almost no one uses sisal anymore. Rainy day evenings in front of the tv- are spent braiding the twine into long ropes. Cut the knots off and overlap the pieces as you braid. Some people knit. I make 6 strand ropes.
    I have braided two 40 ft dog tie-outs, about 200 feet of rope we use to secure bales on the truck, stall guards for all 4 stalls (the braid goes inside lengths of discarded vinyl hosing and we re-use old snaps from cotton stall guards gone to meet their maker) as well as a pair of long reins for ground driving.

The long ropes are very useful and have been used in the past to rescue a stuck horse from a swamp. The long reins are ligher in weight than regular reins and surprisingly soft in the hand.
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

I had heard previously that baling twine is treated with a chemical to keep rodents from chewing through it. I am not sure if that is still the case, but for sure that would make the twine not a good material for a dog or cat toy. Just FYI.
    You can either be a good example or just a really horrible warning...

I made a "fake tail" for a horse whose real tail had been chewed off. It's bright orange and he's a Paint. Klassy, I tell you, but he's thrilled he can swish the flies.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Just see the FaceBook group for a BAZILLION ideas

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...d=204181582795
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

My mother decorated the barn with twine
    http://wpgrey.blogspot.com/2009/12/c...as-crafts.html

She also made mini ones for her Christmas tree, but the dog ate them.

Those wreaths are really cute. I love the ribbon Pendleton chose for the one on his door.

I joined that facebook group.

I super-duper love the idea of doormats. Gotta learn how to make those.

Quote Originally Posted by klicup View Post
    I had heard previously that baling twine is treated with a chemical to keep rodents from chewing through it. I am not sure if that is still the case, but for sure that would make the twine not a good material for a dog or cat toy. Just FYI.
    Some sisal twine is - the green stuff - but not poly twine; rodents don't seem to show much interest in it.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Are there instructions on line some where on how to make hay nets from bailing twine? (And do not give me a link to the facebook thing listed above, I can not get on facebook.)

I joined the facebook group...

I use it at horse shows for tying the bucket to the back of my trailer. Horsey doesn't kick water bucket over, and I don't have to hold the bucket so he can drink. He just drinks when he feels like it.

Emergency leasch/lead rope in the truck.

Belt for pants that fall down. (Oh yeah I am classy at times)
    OTTB - Hurricane Denton - Kane AKA Bubble boy
    Boxer - Tugger's - outlasted my marriage

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Are there instructions on line some where on how to make hay nets from bailing twine? (And do not give me a link to the facebook thing listed above, I can not get on facebook.)
    Here you go:

http://www.equisearch.com/horses_car.../eqhaynet3477/

http://www.ultimatehorsesite.com/inf...lingtwine.html

And a few other creative ideas:

http://www.wayoutwestminis.com/aHayRope.htm

(the shoelaces were a hoot!)
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams