The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Devoucoux's and the like...and jeans?

I'm fully aware that Devoucoux's, Butet's and the like are very sensitive saddles. However, do they posess any type of durability to be ridden in jeans once to twice a week maximum without being completely damaged? Most of my riding in my new saddle will be done in breeches but there are some days when jeans and half chaps will just be more convenient.

Just curious, thanks for any help!
    --Chris--

I wouldn't do this. In my teenaged days (when I thought money grew on trees, and didn't treat my tack well), I did it a lot. Too much. My saddle shows the wear on the seat. FWIW, I have a full calf antares, which is a lot softer than grain or buffalo leather, but even if I had either of those, I wouldn't do it. When I feel the need to ride in half chaps, I always try to wear breeches, but I've taken to keeping a cheap pair of leggings in my trunk so that I can wear those if I have jeans on. I wouldn't recommend wearing jeans in any saddle, much less a pricey one.
    Here today, gone tomorrow...

That's kind of like asking if a piece of white pine is durable enough not to be "completely damaged" if abraded by 40 grit vs 100 grit sandpaper. Neither one is going to wear it out completely in a short period of time, but the harsher material will wear it out faster. A less "soft" leather (for instance buffalo instead of calf, which I know is available in the devoucoux at least) is obviously going to last longer, no matter what you wear riding in it, too.

Jennifer

If you get the calfskin riding in jeans will eventually damage it. You can see damage after a couple of rides.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I personally wouldn't ride in jeans in a nice saddle - the seam on most jeans is going to damage the leather of the seat pretty quickly.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

only safe with a buffalo seat. but considering the majority of those saddles have calfskin seats, you'd be a complete idiot to wear jeans with your saddle. my trainer hopped on for a quickie 10 min schooling session once, and happened to be wearing jeans. i could see the wear. its not like it ripped a hole in my saddle, but i could definitely see that its a bad idea. however, if you ride in breeches and take care of your saddle, they'll last. i've got a devoucoux with a calfskin seat and it's about 10 years old. i bought it used, and the seat is original so i know it's not been replaced or anything. its held up beautifully, as long as i clean it and ride in breeches. i expect it to last another 10 at the least.

just wear the breeches. the inconvenience of wearing breeches to you is much less than the inconvenience of buying a new saddle in a few years or replacing the seat.

think of wearing breeches as a cheap insurance policy -- it's basically like taking the minute of effort for washing your hands after you go to the bathroom. if you don't, you might as well be catching who knows what. but is washing your hands really that hard? no. is it worth it? yes.
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

My trainer has a Devoucoux and she usually rides in jeans and her saddle is still in great condition..I've ridden in a Butet about 20x a week (on multiple horses of course ) for about a year and it showed no signs of wear. HOWEVER, my Pessoa I rode in aslo about 20x a week for about 8 months and it's showing some definite signs of wear.

I rode in my Delgrange once in jeans and afterwords I noticed a line down the seat from the seams of my pants. Luckily, I got the line to fade a little but it's still there faintly. I personally wouldn't ride in jeans in a nice saddle unless the seat is super durable.

Riding in jeans in any saddle will damage it along that seat seam that is pretty much impossible to repair.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

I ride in my calf Delgrange in jeans every day. The key is the type of jeans. I ride in the cheapo Gloria Vanderbuilt Amanda Stretch and they have very little seams. I talked to the Delgrange people before I bought my new saddle and traded my old one. They couldn't believe I had ridden in jeans almost every day and it looked like new. It isn't jeans it's the large seams on the jeans on the inseam. If you avoid that, you should be fine. I just really hate riding in breeches all the time, plus, they don't last, stain and are the least forgiving material ever invented!
    Lisa Coletto
    Standing Elite Hanoverian stallion, Cabalito
    www.pecannuts@aol.com

Default What is the world coming to?

Back in the day of pig skin seats, you could ride in your nice saddle in whatever you wanted. That was the point of a nice saddle.

Now, you pay $4,500 for one that requires another specialized $$ pair of breeches and a Mr. Rogers-like changing ritual before and after riding.

The only way out is to spend $5,000 on a Buffalo saddle so that you can get back to ride in your nice saddle in whatever you want.... which is where we started for about 1/10th the price.

Watch for the locust storm next and know what's coming after that, my friends....
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Back in the day of pig skin seats, you could ride in your nice saddle in whatever you wanted. That was the point of a nice saddle.

Now, you pay $4,500 for one that requires another specialized $$ pair of breeches and a Mr. Rogers-like changing ritual before and after riding.

The only way out is to spend $5,000 on a Buffalo saddle so that you can get back to ride in your nice saddle in whatever you want.... which is where we started for about 1/10th the price.

Watch for the locust storm next and know what's coming after that, my friends....
    ROTFLMAO!!!! its a shame as kids we NEVER rode in britches unless we were showing, it was jeans and FULL CHAPS all day everyday, we also rarely sent saddles in for repair, we rode in Bevals, and Crosbys mainly. I just bought a Beval Jr for Dd and I won't let her wear jeans to ride I am so afraid it will ruin her saddle, and I need it last through her and her younger sister LOL!!! Of course I am also handing down all of her jods just to save moeny!
    Kim
    If you are lucky enough to ride, you are lucky enough.

I ride in my Antares (calf skin seat) most of the time. For a stretch, it was only boots and breeches. But when you are pressed for time, riding several horses a day, it just became idiodic to wear breeches most days. My jeans arnt Levis or wranglers, with the built tuff seams, so maybe that makes a diffrence? I have to wear on my Antares and had even less wear on my Butet.
    ---^v---^v---^v----------------------^v---^v---^v---
    For a moment there, you bored me to death

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Back in the day of pig skin seats, you could ride in your nice saddle in whatever you wanted. That was the point of a nice saddle.....
    I still have my ancient Stubben with the pigskin seat from my junior days and it is as slippery as glass compared to my calfskin CWD. I notice even an occasional ride in jeans leaves rub marks on calfskin, I never ride in jeans anymore and I find breeches more comfortable anyway. I have breeches that are less expensive than my jeans too, so cost is really not a factor.

I ride in jeans and Journeyman chaps in both my Butets. It is true, the jeans do wear on the seat. Not so much on the older Butet (it is 20 yrs old with the original seat) but definitly on the newer one, from 2004.

A close friend just bought a Butet and when I showed her mine, she was surprised that I didn't ride in breeches to protect the seat. I suppose I should but as other posters wrote, in the old days saddles were not nearly as fragile and frankly, I like jeans and chaps (not the 1/2 chaps though)....

Default sheep skin seat saver

a nice solution if you want to ride in jeans and have a nice saddle is, get a sheep skin seat saver! i have one and i ride in jeans all the time and there is no wear on my beval natural saddle. i take the sheep skin seat saver off when i show. and then i am riding in britches. i do ride in britches now more than i ever did before, but i do like riding in jeans when i am just hacking. i find the britches wear out! so that too can get expensive!

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I used to ride in jeans about half the time in my calf skin Antares. When I went to resell it, was told that it looked outstanding for its age and got more for it than the rep would have normally offered for a saddle made in that year. I also cared for it as well as I did my horse. Clearly I did one of those two things right.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Quote Originally Posted by Rubs Not Pats View Post
    I ride in my calf Delgrange in jeans every day. The key is the type of jeans. I ride in the cheapo Gloria Vanderbuilt Amanda Stretch and they have very little seams. I talked to the Delgrange people before I bought my new saddle and traded my old one. They couldn't believe I had ridden in jeans almost every day and it looked like new. It isn't jeans it's the large seams on the jeans on the inseam. If you avoid that, you should be fine. I just really hate riding in breeches all the time, plus, they don't last, stain and are the least forgiving material ever invented!
    That's what I was thinking too. I usually ride in American Eagle jeans and the like, and most of mine have the heavy seam on the inside of the leg. If I find some pairs of jeans that have the thick seam on the outside, I think it'll be safe to hack in them for a half hour once a week or so.

And I'll also take the sheepskin seat saver into consideration. I'd never thought of getting one to help prolong the life of the seat!
    --Chris--

I have 2 Butets. One is 12 years old and one is 10 years old. I always ride in jeans. I own 3 horses and I ride 5 days a week. Mine are still in great shape. I hear all this uproar about riding in jeans. but it has not affected either of my saddles.

I ride in jeans all the time. Never had a mark on my saddles. Saying that, my jeans are the softer fabric, without huge seams.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!