The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Turkey question? Or Is this turkey Nuts?

I have a Royal Palm hen turkey. Mind you, she's free range, so no being under lights like the hens are. I also have a Midget White Tom. Both are about 8 months old.

The Tom, while a tad confused about precisely which end he's supposed to be interested in , is none the less [I]very[I] interested, and the hen has started laying eggs in a nest across the road. About one every second day. We found it by accident with 4 whole and 3 broken eggs in it, pulled those, and have been pulling the eggs as we find them. Lord knows we don't want her to go broody on an exposed nest away from the fence, guard dogs etc... Motherhood takes a lot, but we wouldn't want it to take her life)

But......

For heaven's sake - it's CHRISTMAS - Ya know? December. Middle of winter. Shortest days of the year (and oh yeah - cold too). WHAT on earth are these silly birds doing mating (or trying to) and laying eggs in December for crying out loud?

Does anyone know if this is at all normal? Don't turkeys breed/nest in the spring like every other bird I've ever heard of? Is it just a function of their youth?

Help!
    "The way to gain a good reputation is to endeavor to be what you desire to appear" ~ Socrates

We tried raising turkeys when I was young.
    We found out turkeys are about the dumbest birds on the planet.
    And that's about all I know about turkeys.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

mine did the same thing around Thanksgiving. She had taken to disappearing for days at a time (once for 6 days, at which point I thought she was someone's lunch) until we found 12 eggs in the dog house (she's a Bronze, he is a royal palm) and after doing some reading I found out that their "clocks" can get off and cause this.
    The dogs found the nest shortly after we did, so the eggs got eaten before we could collect them.
    About a week after the "egg incident" she returned to normal. Hopefully we will have some chicks in the spring...assuming she keeps her nest close to home, but away from the dogs! Those would be some cute babys!

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

I have also been told that they have pretty much had all of the sense selectively bred out of them. My dad told me that they had to put them up in trees or roosts at night as they were too stupid to do it themselves and might get eaten if they stayed at ground level.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    I have also been told that they have pretty much had all of the sense selectively bred out of them. My dad told me that they had to put them up in trees or roosts at night as they were too stupid to do it themselves and might get eaten if they stayed at ground level.
    Well, the clocks may be a bit off, but all four of the turkeys (these two plus a tom and a hen Blue Slate, along with their 3 guinea hen friends) all roost in a big tree in the back yard - have done since they were big enough to jump on the fence, then the shed roof and then into the tree. Quite a sight to see these large white and gray shapes perched high up in the tree.

Piatt Farms - thanks - We'll of course keep pulling the eggs until spring, then 'kennel' her and hope for babies. This year the birds all survived Thanksgiving/Xmas (they're pretty much pets ) - no promises on any babies next year though.
    "The way to gain a good reputation is to endeavor to be what you desire to appear" ~ Socrates