The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Lightbulb Help--need some ideas or brainstorming...

I have coverall type shelters for run-ins and barns.

They are the 'house' style, with a peaked roof.

Certain types of snow storms, the snow will collect at the bottom of the roof, above the side supports, and then the roof bows down and fills more etc.

Generally not a problem, when I go out to feed, I *pop* snow off the roof... no biggie.

Last storm was snow first then mix, and I had to work for the majority of the precipitation. So I ended up with glaciers in the side barn roof. They are actually too heavy for me to 'push' up and over the edge.

I really need to get them out/off, or else they're going to get worse and be there until spring--or until enough additional weight rips the grommets out and the roof needs replaced. (and THEN I'll have glaciers IN the barn I can't move!)

Anyone have suggestions?

I do not have a tractor--as pushing UP with a bucket I'm sure would be ideal.

I'm at a loss.

Of course, another gallon or two of rain is on top of all the ice after today.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Get a few hefty neighbors, hand each a board and all together start pushing the roof up, until it pops off.

Human power to the rescue.

Bummer. You definitely need to get the ice out before it builds up and tears through. I'd gather up three or four friends and go inside the run in with some broomsticks and everyone push at once. Maybe you could put some tennis balls onto the broom stick ends so that they don't tear the fabric. Good luck!

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

c'mon people...

BRAINSTORMING here...

Have no hefty neighbors.

Need all that CotH CREATIVITY to solve this one!!!

I do have: truck power (not sure how on earth that could help) and horsepower (ditto) and... um...

Me.

InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Could you get a ladder and get where you reach with a big hammer, shovel or axe and start chipping at that ice, until it breaks up in chunks you can throw around and becomes light enough to go back to trying from below?

Ice cracks and shatters, if you hit it right and long enough and it will then be in smaller pieces.

Throw some ice melt up there. I use some around that barn that is labeled "eco friendly". Even if it doesn't entirely melt the mess, hopefully it riddle it full of holes enough for you to be able to break it up, perhaps using the head of a big push broom to increase the amount of "push" under the mass.

At some point in the future (maybe spring?), consider sliding some sort of support under the roof sections to avoid this in the future. It wouldn't take anything very thick at all.....cheap paneling, 1/4" plywood, etc, zip tied to the cross braces to give your roof solid support and avoid the pockets.
    Far Away Farm

Did it soften up today? Can you use a roof rake to remove it from the outside of the barn? Most of the ice/snow around here is gone after the 40 degree winds today... but I think you're at a higher elevation than we are...

If you get in a bind, lmk... if you need extra manpower, we can probably come up...
    -Jessica

A friend who used to live in Minnesota said that they cleared the snow off the roof with a long PVC pole and kind of scraped it off, and that avoided the dreaded huge avalanche of snow off the roof just as you were going outside (door slammers usually have this happen). Wayne also said that the more often you did it during a storm the better. If you can get it under the ice crust in the snow it might pry the crust off so you can scrape some snow off and lighten it. For pushing from underneath I think the broom end of a big push broom would be effective, and I like the ice melt idea. Or if it is above freezing (fat chance I know) you can use a hose to melt the top stuff and then push from underneath. Or make your own pusher-a big 2 x 4 attached to a makeshift 2x4 handle should be effective over a wider area.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Archimedes said, "Give me a fulcrum and a lever long enough, and I can move the world."

I think you should have some fun with elementary school physics and set up some levers in your barn.

If you have a good, sturdy A-frame ladder, that'd probably make a good fulcrum. A board over the top with some sort of a spacer (to make up the distance to your roof and to spread out the force so your board doesn't tear right through it) would probably do the trick.

If you don't have a ladder, you could use a loop of rope tied to your roof supports as the fulcrum.

Good luck! Hopefully you can solve the problem with some creative engineering.

Oh the ice melt idea is a good one!!
    -Jessica

What Slithy said. Use physics.

I'd drill a hole in it, stick a rope through and use the truck to pull it off.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!