The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Exclamation Dressage Today article re: USEF developing horses

I was so happy to see Karen Monks-Reilly and Aesthete, the 4 year old National Young Horse Dressage Champion, in this article. I rode with Karen when she lived in NH. I am so honored that I had the chance to ride with such an incredible trainer. I always knew she was good, but now I am almost awestruck that I actually trained with this rider.

Everything in the article about Karen and her training methods is true. Karen has worked super hard with her riding and with "Stately". She truly deserves this recognition. I wish I was down in PA so I could ride with her. She took me and my rank Thoroughbred as students. I'd never ridden dressage and my horse had a massive underneck and major bucking issues. She never treated me as though I was lesser than the people with super nice horses.

Congratulations Karen!!! You deserve this!!!!
    Beth

Nice to read about all the American-bred horses too: Cabana Boy, bred by Doug and Shannon Langer; Pikko del Cerro bred by Anne Sparks;Selten HW bred by Irene Hoeflich-Wiederhold.

Quite a sweep by American-bred horses. Nice to see!
    "Dreams are the touchstone of our characters." Henry David Thoreau
    Touchstone Farm
    www.bytouchstonefarm.com

got to see Cabana Boy go this summer.... VERY nice horse.
    http://dressageesquire.blogspot.com
    "The ability to write a check for attire should not be confused with expertise. Proficiency doesn't arrive shrink-wrapped from UPS and placed on your doorstep."

Talking Go US bred horses!!!

It was great that 3 out of 4 were American bred. Maybe more people will start looking for youngsters in the US! There are some incredible stallions and mares here who produce magnificent offspring.

Quest- I might have passed out if I saw Cabana Boy in person! He is so stunning in pictures, but I'm sure he is 100 times more amazing in person. I would love to watch him go!
    Beth

Quote Originally Posted by Invite View Post
    It was great that 3 out of 4 were American bred. Maybe more people will start looking for youngsters in the US! There are some incredible stallions and mares here who produce magnificent offspring.

Quest- I might have passed out if I saw Cabana Boy in person! He is so stunning in pictures, but I'm sure he is 100 times more amazing in person. I would love to watch him go!
    Oh I think with the exchange rate etc you will see more people sticking in the U.S. to buy horses which IMO is a good thing.
    “Maybe some women aren't meant to be tamed. Maybe they just need to run free til they find someone just as wild to run with them.”

I am going to get to see Cabana every day in FL, and Hilltop Douglas, and Donnerweiss, etc.

And get my butt whipped into shape by Chris- lucky me!!!!!!!

It's really cool to think that so many great things are going on with the developing horse program. What a cool future these horses and riders have. It's going to be so fun to follow their careers.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mickeydoodle View Post
    I am going to get to see Cabana every day in FL, and Hilltop Douglas, and Donnerweiss, etc.

And get my butt whipped into shape by Chris- lucky me!!!!!!!
    I am sooo jealous Have a blast and post as often as you can! I'm sure it will be a fantastic experience.
    Beth

lisa- Lucky you!
    Kelly
    It is rare to see a rider who is truly passionate about the horse and his training, taking a profound interest in dressage with self-abnegation, and making this extraordinarily subtle work one of the dominant motivations of his life.\"