The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle fit considerations?

I've been riding in a saddle that I inherited so I don't have much experience or knowledge about what to consider when buying a saddle. What measurements should I take (hip to knee, knee to floor, thigh circumference, etc) to narrow down what size/depth of seat I need? And what measurements correspond to particular sizes? I was hoping to find a used off-the rack before going custom because I'm an adult about the size of a slim teenage girl so I'm sure there should be reasonable options for me.

I plan on doing jumpers so what should I consider when thinking about knee blocks, flap (forward, regular, etc) and all those other add-ons, etc? I haven't been riding very long so I can't comment on preferences for a regular vs. more forward flap, etc. Can you tell me what the pros/cons are of something like this? Please tell me as much as you can about custom options. I would like to know as much as I can before I talk with saddle reps who may talk me into things I wouldn't need, on account of my ignorance.

According to the "seat size calculator" on Stateline Tack I'm currently in an appropriate saddle seat size, but I feel like I should go a size up (at least for the model I have). I also feel like the padding on the flaps are keeping me from keeping a correct leg position. Can you point me in the direction of a guide online (or another thread) to get a more accurate measurement, and also discuss the pros/cons of flap length, knee/thigh blocks, etc?

And yes, I realize that the saddle I get should fit my horses but I would like to find out what I should consider when fitting for myself so I can narrow down my options. Thanks!
    Last edited by Segovia; Dec. 26, 2009 at 08:03 PM.