The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rabbits

Anyone have bunnies?

How in the world do you keep them from destroying their cage?

I have two females, both 1+ years old, neither spayed because it's so darned expensive to have it done.

They have a pretty big cage, 2'x2'x6' long. They have all the rabbit pellets they want, a big waterer, a hay rack (which they have stopped eating hay from), and a large litter box that I fill with about 1/2" of sand and hay on top of that. They do use it when I change it a couple times a week.

But they destroy their cage. I used to give them things to chew on, but they seem to prefer to dig through their litter box and spread everything around the cage, chew on the litter box, chew on the little sitting shelf, eat the carpet samples I had on the ramp to said shelf, and most recently they have started pulling each others' hair out! They don't seem to be fighting, because they will both sit there and let the other one yank their hairs out!

What else can I do for the poor things? I would love to give them some outside time, but they cannot be contained in the chicken pen.

Ideas?

Get them a run that attaches to the hutch. My two have a huge hutch plus a run. The more they can move about, the less they seem to chew.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

you have it wrong. You are allowing the bunnies to chew, whilst, in reality, you should be chewing on the bunnies. Check out the crock pot recipes thread.

I have *a* bunny, but haven't had any issues with her chewing anything other than what I've given her to chew on. Sorry!

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

I never had a problem with my bunny chewing on its cage (which was all metal).

I had a friend who had "house bunnies" and used to have them "fixed" but after she lost a couple "under the knife" she gave up having it done.
    "Good gardening is very simple, really. You just have to learn to think like a plant." ~Barbara Damrosch~

Quote Originally Posted by translation services View Post
    you have it wrong. You are allowing the bunnies to chew, whilst, in reality, you should be chewing on the bunnies. Check out the crock pot recipes thread.
    LOL! A+

Do you think they want to build nests?

They may be bad contractors-- spreading crap around before building-- but you might try an experiment. Give them more materials, not less, and see if finally get off their a$$es and start pouring the foundation.

Otherwise, yup, they probably want a gym membership or the great outdoors. Maybe they are landscapers.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Get them spayed, and give them a lot more free running-around time. You'll have to make the chicken run bunny-proof. My bun is free-range and goes into her cage only to use the litter box and eat. She has free range of the dining room the rest of the time.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I can't tell from your description, but is there a solid part of the cage they can go in? I had rabbits as a kid, and we built all their cages sort of like a tiny tun-in shed, with a divider about a third of the way through that had a rabbit-sized hole in it. The large side had a wire mesh door the whole width, and the small side had a solid door. We gave them straw in the small solid compartment that they used to make nests (male and female). In the winter they got more straw since they lived outside, and would regulate the temperature of their "burrow" by fluffing it up and going inside it when it was cold, and stamping it down and sleeping on top when it was warm.

Anyway, if you don't have something like that, they may be trying to make a nest/burrow, or getting a little nutsy from having nowhere to hide. I'd also make sure they have something to look at at least - the one winter we brought ours into the basement they were miserable. We also gave them some supervised time to run around the yard and house.

Ours did kind of chew on everything, but there was no major hair pulling.

The more hay I give them, the more of a mess they make! They don't seem to be trying to build a nest, as they pee and poop all in the hay and then spread it literally everywhere.

They don't currently have anything to hide in, because they just eat it. I've given them cardboard boxes, but they spend much more time eating it than they do sleeping in it.

They are in my barn, not in the house. They were house bunnies, but the flinging of poopy bedding sorta mandated that they be barn bunnies.

Given how much they dig at their poopy bedding, I am worride that even if I patch up the holes in the chicken pen, they will dig out of it. Or that they will be so hard to catch in there that I won't be able to put them back in their cage at night.

Is there anything else I can give them to chew on? I've tried various fruits and veggies, and they chew on them, then bury them under poopy bedding. I've given them non-pressure-treated wood (since they chew on their shelf), but they are not interested in the little wood pieces I give them, just the parts of their cage.

I know the poopy bedding sounds like I don't ever clean their cage, but they just don't use their litter box to poop. Only to pee.