The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help finding really large, large bell boots

I've just put my large Holsteiner in bar shoes and now his XL bell boots are too small in length to cover the shoe. Any ideas, besides ordering lots of them until I hit on a solution?

Today I just wrapped his feet with duct tape and put the old ones back on but I fear this is not going to do it. He has already pulled one off since last week and I'm sure my good natured farrier will not be so nice if we do this a couple of times a week.

I use the Davis overreach boots size Draft 1. Works great for my giant in eggbars .
    http://www.netequestrian.com/horse/1...pId=1118&scId=

There's also a pull-on in XXL, but even that one is too small for my WB's.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=263602_263622

Thanks, I'll try those.

If netequestrian doesn't have your size, Cheshire horse carries many of the draft size davis bell boots.

I'm a huge fan of petal boots! http://www.bitofbritain.com/SearchRe...=16&Search.y=6

I've used them on big-footed beasties who had 'issues' (including two in bar shoes who wore their petal boots 24/7). I always mention them when folks ask for suggestions. They can be customized to fit practically any sized hoof, they tend to trap less moisture because of the way the petals move, they're inexpensive, tough, and individual parts can be replaced if anything breaks.
    Y'all ain't right!

The Davis bells come in Draft 1 and Draft 2 (humongous!) sides, your carrying tack store can get them easily. Our stallion is actually between the XL and Draft 1 sizes - I cut about 1.5 inches off the Draft size and resewed the velcro (I have several commercial heavy stitchers) to get him a good fit. The draft size was just wearing the hair off his ankles spinning!
    Last edited by AdAblurr02; Dec. 26, 2009 at 08:02 PM. Reason: sigh... LOTSA typos
    Homesick Angels Farm
    breeders of champion Irish Draught Sporthorses
    standing Manu Forti's Touch Down RID
    www.IrishHuntersandJumpers.com

I get my XXL bell boots from Victorycanter.com. They fit my WB.

Quote Originally Posted by Lieslot View Post
    I use the Davis overreach boots size Draft 1. Works great for my giant in eggbars .
    http://www.netequestrian.com/horse/1...pId=1118&scId=

There's also a pull-on in XXL, but even that one is too small for my WB's.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=263602_263622
    I second the David Draft size. They are perfect for big warmbloods and sporty size Friesians

Professionals Choice makes very large overreach boots now. I have used them for turnout, more for riding tho! I think they go up to xxxl....

My draft X is too small for the draft sizes but too big for the xlg. I buy 3 pkgs of petal boots and put them together for a custom fit. I end up with 2 left over petals-so almost a bag and a half per foot. These last forever, are easy to put on, don't rub and are pretty long (you can cut the length to fit)
    Do not toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

Bump! I love pull-on bell boots and have used the pull-on Italian Alprima / KL Select XXL on my big WB for years but for some reason the last 2 pairs I have ordered have been way too small and short and he's now pulling shoes. Maybe they changed something in the manufacturing process. Anyway, any recommendations for a BIG pull-on bell boot? The last time I saw a draft bell boot in the store (Davis plastic velcro kind) it looked pretty wide but not tall enough.