The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What is the going rate for galloping a tough horse in MD?

For those if you who freelance or get on a few extra horses outside a regular job, what is the going daily rate for getting on a really tough horse that most riders can't handle?

12 - 15 for a normal horse. Adjust accordingly if you want the rider a second time.

I was paying $25 for someone to gallop one with a bag full of tricks.

When I was freelancing, I'd usually double the price (or usually the trainer would offer) for a "special" case.

My day rate does not go up because a horse is tuff. Do you think you should get paid less for the easy ones then? Good gallop boys do ALL horses, the ones that don't pull go to the gallop school kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Flypony View Post
    My day rate does not go up because a horse is tuff. Do you think you should get paid less for the easy ones then? Good gallop boys do ALL horses, the ones that don't pull go to the gallop school kids.
    Kind of agree with flypony here - although we usually throw an extra $5 for the tough ones, especially at the gate. The trainer should offer a little extra. Paying double for a tough one is crazy and something I'd never do and never have had to do.

Can't answer the original question, but we had a looney-toony our gallop boy couldn't handle, so got the (arguably) best rider on the grounds to ride her, and paid him double not just to get the work into her, but to put the time in to get her to relax as she'd freeze up in front of the grandstand.

Lucky me, she's now retired and in foal, and I get to deal with her and her coming baby. Still nutty.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

Quote Originally Posted by Slewdledo View Post
    Can't answer the original question, but we had a looney-toony our gallop boy couldn't handle, so got the (arguably) best rider on the grounds to ride her, and paid him double not just to get the work into her, but to put the time in to get her to relax as she'd freeze up in front of the grandstand.

Lucky me, she's now retired and in foal, and I get to deal with her and her coming baby. Still nutty.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but I did this once - bred a looney filly - at it was the worst mistake I ever made. Typically, the mare passes on her temperment to the foals. I even did all that imprint bullshit. DIdn't matter.

I have never paid extra for someone to gallop a tough horse for me in 20+ years.

My first husband was an excellent gallop boy turned trainer and he could gallop anything in his younger years. He never ever asked for extra money for galloping a tough one - however, he was staked well when the horses he had put a lot of time in performed well in their races, tough or otherwise. It was understood that he would be well taken care of when the horse earned $$.

I stake my gallop folk when the horses do well - I have 2 gallop ppl who both make me and my horses a priority every morning. Of course paying them every time they get on a horse goes a long way towards being first choice also.

I just can't get my mind around asking extra for galloping a tough horse. Doesn't that mean I should be getting money back for the easy ones?
    Jessi Pizzurro ~~ Pennyroyal Stables
    Racehorses, OTTBs ~~ 330 383 1281
    Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway. -- John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by DickHertz View Post
    I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but I did this once - bred a looney filly - at it was the worst mistake I ever made. Typically, the mare passes on her temperment to the foals. I even did all that imprint bullshit. DIdn't matter.
    That's pretty much what I was thinking, too, but best of luck with the mare/foal & having a better experience than we had.
    Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessi P View Post
    I just can't get my mind around asking extra for galloping a tough horse.
    Me either. And, if someone asked for more, I doubt I'd use them again. If a horse was just awful, I'll usually give a little extra just as a gesture of goodwill, but I usually have to force the rider to take it. But, honestly, when I've had a difficult horse, I generally have people arguing over who gets to "show me how it's done."

My favorite horse/future pony is out of a frootloop of a mare. He was pure evil until a late yearling when he finally saw the light and wound up being the easiest horse I've ever broke. He's a little tough to gallop, but overall, he's a joy to be around (my only complaint is that he inherited his dam's beaver-like woodchewing habit ). It could work out for Slewdledo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessi P View Post
    I just can't get my mind around asking extra for galloping a tough horse. Doesn't that mean I should be getting money back for the easy ones?
    I don't get it either. I used to gallop for a real interesting trainer. He loved the boys and was not so nice to us girls, and used to say, "Oh love, that filly is too tough for a little girl like you." I would smile and tell him thank you, he was so right. What did I care, I got paid the same for the tough ones, the normal ones, and the easy ones, why not make life easier on myself

Then there is the flip side, what's tough for me, might not be for someone else, and there is a certain kind of tough horse I really enjoy being on, so I figure it all comes out a wash.

I do get paid more to gallop steeplechase horses then the flat horses.
    WestWind Farms
    Love means attention, which means looking after the things we love. We call this stable management.
    - George H. Morris

If it comes down the the point where no one will get on the horse, of course the trainer is going to step up the price to get him out and galloped. My BF and I gallop at the same track (taking mostly QHs, but a few TBs here and there) and he is known for taking all the really bad/stupid ones and he does get paid more for it. Sometime he will even get $50 to work a really bad one. We arn't talking just physcially strong, I mean these horses are super bad, have bad habits, dump every rider, just flat out dangerous, and no one else gets on them, yet there hasn't been a horse I've not yet to see him not get to go and do what he wants. Hes a busy guy and he is squeezes in extra time for another barn, they pay extra just for him! I do envy him and only wish I could ever be as good!

We paid more, but we got more, too, as the rider didn't just take her around and bring her back. He spent the time to try to get her relaxed and confident.

Quote Originally Posted by DickHertz View Post
    Oh believe me, I know. I work for the owner of the mare. Her brother is the same way, tons of talent, both basket cases. Her other brother sold for $700k, hence the reason she's in foal. We had to chute her to get her vaccinated the last time, and she still tried to jump out of the chute. Foaling time will be fuuuuuun.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

Why on earth would you get paid more for Chasers? Ok, maybe on schooling days, but they are the best kept secret in galloping! I worked for trainers over here with flat and NH horses and the NH horses rocked! Yes, you might spend more time on the galloping 3 miles, but it was so worth it! Easy big gentleman and ladies of horses to gallop.

Quite a few years ago now, my husband had to come over and get on a horse for us ladies at the Lukas barn. He was a nightmare as in, get down on the ground and try to rip you off nightmare, and or a host of other nasty behavoir. I hadn't been around him previously as he joined us in Fla. The first day John was on him, the horse tried to launch himself in the shedrow on top of the hotwalker. My husband only had to hit this horse one time with his stick and that was the end of it. And no, he didn't go around beating horses, but this was on bad son of a gun. Actually the first day was the only day he rode him with his stick. After that, the horse started having a bit of fun and John loved him. He was told by our assistant to take him to the gate one day, except there was no gate that day. So John took him in the chute, stood him quietly, made starting gate bell sounds, and proceeded to join us in our gallop. And usually, he stayed on him for 2 sets walking and going on little trails to see people.

Our assistant gave him 15 instead of 12 dollars, but John never asked for it and it came in a check at the end of 2 weeks so not much to do about it then.

As someone pointed out, there are all sorts of bad and tough. Some you can handle and some you don't and or you don't want to. I certainly wouldn't be paying anyone double. And I was a rider so I know the value of people like my husband and so forth, but usually they didn't ask for double amounts, they enjoyed the challenge of getting one to gallop and behave nicely.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Slewdledo View Post
    We paid more, but we got more, too, as the rider didn't just take her around and bring her back. He spent the time to try to get her relaxed and confident.

Oh believe me, I know. I work for the owner of the mare. Her brother is the same way, tons of talent, both basket cases. Her other brother sold for $700k, hence the reason she's in foal. We had to chute her to get her vaccinated the last time, and she still tried to jump out of the chute. Foaling time will be fuuuuuun.
    Funny that, one of my mares is a sister to the producer of a grade one winner and the same mare had one of her sons go for 700k too. When I tell you it was the biggest mistake I ever made breeding, it's not a lie. She turned into the demon from hell after her first foal was born and killed another mare's foal. She was already in foal with next one so nothing I could do. The only upside is her 2 foals are simply amazing and everything she's not. The coming 2 yo is still a colt (soon to be gelded), goes out out everyday with another colt on a rope lead and hasn't a mean bone in his body - he's a sweetie. And Penelope, well she's just awesome. But really with the headaches and heartaches the mare has caused me, I wouldn't do it again.

Terri

Terri

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
    Why on earth would you get paid more for Chasers? Ok, maybe on schooling days, but they are the best kept secret in galloping! I worked for trainers over here with flat and NH horses and the NH horses rocked! Yes, you might spend more time on the galloping 3 miles, but it was so worth it! Easy big gentleman and ladies of horses to gallop.

A bit like this.

I have seen ppl pay my husband $50 to gallop a rogue horse. I dont' see anything wrong with paying a little extra for someone who has the ability to handle a bad mother trucker. they are worth their weight in gold at the track and i don't see anything wrong with asking for a bit more in these special cases as well.
    To get in the winners' circle you must first get into the gate

I agree with Flypony. Tough and easy.. it is part of the job. Do it or don't.
    Some people pay more for workers, but In my opinion also part of the job. Either you want to get on horses or you don't. and if tough horses are an issue, you might want to decide how you want to make a living. "tough" comes with the territory. There was a point when I was learning that I had to decide that if I wanted to earn a living doing this I better figure out how to gallop the tough as well as I do the easy. And I did.... extremely well.
    Tough is rarely tough if you aren't deciding to get into a tug o war from the first jump. And I love a horse to take a hold.. but I don't need to wrestle with them

ETA.. going rate is $15 a head here... regardless

Quote Originally Posted by Drvmb1ggl3 View Post
    A bit like this.
    Love that clip! But those guys were breezing. Still you can see, nice fluid lopers.

Terri