The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Show me your kitchen remodel

Anyone want to share pics/info of their kitchen remodels? Looking for affordable/cost effective ideas...
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

I don't have any pictures, but one huge suggestions - IKEA cabinets. I work in architecture and have seen both really high-end European cabinets up close and installed IKEA cabinets. My parents have some Home Depot cabinets that cost about the same as the IKEA ones. IKEA is miles ahead of anything else near their price range and have many many of the same features as the super expensive European cabinets. A lot of the hardware is even made by the same manufacturers. I just installed some drawers for a friend that open their full depth (so no fishing around the back part blind) and have an automatic soft closer so they never bang shut. We put on custom drawer fronts and pulls just because, but I actually like a lot of the IKEA fronts and handles. Not all are great, so if you can't get to an IKEA in person I would order some small drawer fronts in the finishes you like so you can see them in person. Nowhere else has the same kind of organizational pieces at a remotely affordable price, which I think is key if you have a small kitchen.

I wouldn't go with the IKEA counters, most of their steel sinks, or the faucets. I don't have a favorite counter material, but am pretty convinced the current generic granite look is going to be super dated looking rather soon. Same with cherry cabinets.

I've done a lot of my kitchen from stuff on craigslist, and hope to do more of that when we get a house (this is an apartment, I'm only doing so much!) I found a huge butcher block island for very little, and have seen all kinds of super expensive appliances go through. If you like antique things, you can find those on craigslist for little, and also at places like Habitat for Humanity shops and architectural salvage, usually for much less than buying new. I've had to resist the urge to hoard some fantastic sinks and stoves I've found!

If you are anywhere near Easton PA check out Keystone Supply, They have some great cabinets, super prices on both cabinets and granite and a great to work with

http://www.keystonesupplyoutlet.com

We ended up getting their burgundy cabinets and blue pearl granite (shown in burgundy display) They installed the kitchen - brought the cabinets and installed same day. A week later brought the counter and installed in a half day.

Just a few types of cabinets, unfortunately not made in US, but that's pretty hard to find any more. The burgundy set is Euro cabinets with no frame, drawers pull out almost full length

I'm guessing there are other places like this around if you look.

Halla, thanks so much for the input regarding IKEA. We do have one about 1.5 hours across the CA border so may be worth taking a trip up there. Friends of ours did their IKEA kitchen themselves and it turned out beautifully.

It is not a large space, rather long and narrow, so good organization will be key.

Drive NJ, thanks for the link! Will definitely check them out.

I did a minor remodel in the kitchen last year at this time. I didn't want to go hog wild, so I did not replace the appliances to SS, but, what I did do made a big impact and wasn't majorly costly.
    1. I selected new lighting for above the kitchen table and island.
    2. Removed the laminate counter top, and selected a real nice, Italian ceramic tile, also used that for the backsplash (plus a couple of accent tiles thrown in..) Nice variagated rustic brown.
    3. Removed vinyl flooring and installed Bamboo. Niiiiiiice!
    4. Cabinetry was already a white, do-able style, but changing out and updating the hardware on it (pulls) helps.

Walls were already a neutral color without wallpaper, so I just left those be. Also, I don't do kitchen curtains, so nothing to change there.

But, beware...once you start one project, you'd be surprised how it mushrooms! I wanted to do only the kitchen and ended up bambooing the whole lower level, painting the livingroom, removing wallpaper in my bedroom and then painting, and painting my bathroom!
    lindasp62
    Founder & Donor/Account Advisor
    Brennan Equine Welfare Fund
    http://www.brennanequinewelfarefund.com/index.html

OK Flash... dug out some pics of the kitchen. We have an old 1960s ranch that had a tiny kitchen... seriously tiny... about the size of my cubicle at work tiny - could touch most of counters on both sides of room without moving small.

So we have been planning a bigger living room for years and years - best reason for not doing anything I know. We need new front steps - but when we redo the house the steps might move and I don't want to do 2X and so on.

Finally (after 20+ years) we decided to go for it and realized we should keep in mind every change should help make the house more saleable, even though we have no plans to sell, especially with the upgrades.

So the bigger LR wouldn't help without better kitchen which led to a big renovation with new kitchen/DR added to house.

Here's the resulting kitchen

<http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...76052554UtigNC>

My brother and I did this remodel in a house my DH and I bought to flip. It was a tiny galley kitchen. We knocked out all of the cabinets, made an island instead of full lower cabinets on the side closest to the breakfast area (kept the sink and Dishwasher on island to save on plumbing costs). There is a wood column that houses the vent pipe for the drains. The vent pipe used to run inside the lower cabinets, but since we wanted an island it had to go up to the attic then out. The column hides it. We also knocked out part of a wall to the front room and made it into a dining room. If you also click on the fireplace before and after pics you can kind of see how it opened everything up. Cabinets were purchased at Home Depot. They were the cheap prefinished ones. My brother made the island using cabinets.

Click on my signature link and go to the album titled "house remodel" and click on kitchen before and after. (There is one before pic that doesn't work...use the other that says "get attachment))

Here's the link to the IKEA kitchen planner-but you can only download to one of their servers http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/rooms_i...s.html#lnk-3-2

Here's the Kraftmaid cabinet planning site-http://www.kraftmaid.com/designyourroom/cabinets/default.aspx
    They will show you tons of finishes and styles.

I personally wouldn't go with Shenandoah (exclusive at Lowes) after reading review of recent quality problems.

Kraftmaid does have a huge brochure at Lowes (free too) and probably at Home Depot too. And you can look at the sample doors of finishes and styles at Lowes. The way to estimate (they give a linear foot price) is to total the top and bottom total length and this is your total feet. Since you have time I would still look at the cabinet outlets, Habitat store, and keep your eye on any large Kitchen remodeler's showroom-you can get entire kitchens at the end of the season or when they redo them for another style and fill in with any cabinets you need from their stock.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post
    It is not a large space, rather long and narrow, so good organization will be key.
    for the link! Will definitely check them out.

We're in the middle of the kitchen remodel from HELL.

We're tearing down walls, redoing electric, blah blah blah. Sigh....

Anyway - we're doing ALL the work ourselves so that's a major cost savings.

The kitchen is still going to be long and rather narrow - the house is less than 800sq ft (yes, really) so you can imagine organization and space are at a premium.

What I went with? Drawers. The lower cabinets are all drawers. Keep an eye out while you're shopping and see if that option will work for you.

Another thing that might work for you is a wall oven rather than standard stove. We're doing a countertop range, and a wall oven elsewhere.

Thanks for the links everyone

I survived the holidays so now hubby and I are starting to discuss the kitchen job we want to do....like move it totally from the north side of the house to the southern side for nice exposure and a view. I am certain it will be hell...but worth it in the end.

Love the pics, beautiful kitchens!!

I really want the kitchen done NOW but am thinking we may end up putting off a true remodel for another year or two. I'm hoping I can spiff it up enough to be able to live with it. It isn't that bad except the cabinets are cheapo laminate and I haaaaate them with a passion.

We had the home inspection today.... some other things that will need our attention first, so we'll see.

Has anyone painted their cabinets? We are buying a place and the seller has painted them with flat latex paint white. I don't mind the white color, but I know that there is a special paint for them, anyone have any experience with paint?

For repainting the best way is to get a pro to do it. But if you do it yourself you just take off the doors and drawers, scuff it up with sandpaper (just a little, not a really rough finish), paint the cabinet frames, paint the doors while they are flat (to avoid drips) and the best way is a paint sprayer by someone who know what they're doing. If they are wood cabinets you can really use any paint, but just remember shiny shows more flaws in the cabinets. And if you don't like the doors and drawer fronts you can get the base ones refaced and replace the drawer fronts and doors--it costs less than half of replacing cabinets and looks wonderful. Since the current paint is flat it might be latex and you can do anything over that, but take a door off and go see the paint guys (or gals) at your nearest paint or big box store and they'll tell you what the best product is and how to do it right. If you replace the hardware it will look like a brand new kitchen, and you really can save a bundle if you look at all of the options at the big box store for door and drawer hardware for an item that is cheaper but looks like the more expensive stuff.

I *just* started painting my cabinets myself. I have flat slab panel wood cabinets...stained a dark reddish/muddy brown that was popular back in the 70s. Too much energy to strip and sand and restain...especially considering they're still boring old flat slabs.
    I'm painting mine Bitter Chocolate...basically a very deep rich brown. White is too hard for me to keep clean and doesn't look the best on huge slab panels.
    Years ago special paint and prep was needed...now not so much.
    With some of the new paints now, you might not even need to sand them a bit first. You will need to clean and degrease them though. You don't want ultra shiny finish most likely (shows every fingerprint and nick) but you do't want flat at all. You need at least satin finish or semigloss so that it's washable/scrub-able.
    The paint I'm using has a primer built right into it, along with a hard drying outer coat that resists staining, chipping and print marks. Two average coats have worked great so far! Thankfully I didn;t need to change my hinges...they're visible and ugly darkened antique brass, but now they blend with the dark brown color. Did change the pulls though to larger brushed nickel ones instead of ugly small knobs.
    I'm doing one section of cabinets at a time..I don't have a photo of the small section I have finished right now and my niece borrowed my camera. But if you google Painted Kitchen Cabinets you can see a bunch of different paint ideas!
    Oh, and if there's a Home Depot near you, go online and check the nearest location to you for Kitchen Cabinet Painting classes. They walk you through step by step and let you know what works and what doesn't...the classes are free and fun!
    Make sure to take before and after photos though!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by halla View Post
    I wouldn't go with the IKEA counters, most of their steel sinks, or the faucets.
    We put in Ikea butcher block counters with a Euro style Ikea sink and faucet. LOVE IT! After a year the counters still look new. I will never have anything but butcher block in any kitchen I own ever again, it is so wonderful.

We repainted our original steel cabinets from 1950 as well. Spent less than $1000 and I love my kitchen.

Steel cabinets are way cool and coming back into style!
    Any photos????
    I have a section of counter top that's butcher's block...I use the heck out of that! The previous owner cut into the counter to add a dishwasher and then replaced that section with butcher block. We found out by accident that the butcher's block is just using it's own weight to sit up there and isn't attached when the dog jumpd onto the open door of the dishwasher and sent the dishwasher crashing forward and a huge chunk of wood sailing across the kitchen! That'll take a year or two off of a person, LOL!
    Mine is getting that over-used look to it and I'll be sanding it down a bit to clean it up soon. Possibly adding an antibacterial stain too, not sure yet.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Misty-I forgot about the degrease step. And I love the chocolate brown idea. Especially since Flash will probably change the cabinets out in a few years the painting would be a good way to try out a color for the next kitchen she'll have. Especially if you're thinking of going dark, it would be great to see if the color is too dark, or if it gets boring, or if the shade isn't exactly what you want permanently. What a great way to find out exactly what you want.

I saw the oddest thing the other day looking at the reglazing/acrylic tub inserts-a company that paints laminate countertops and backsplashes! I don't think I'd like that-and if you go with Wilsonart instead of Formica I can't believe you couldn't replace a laminate countertop quicker and cheaper than by painting it (no matter how durable the paint).

I LOVE BUTCHER BLOCK! I want butcher block in my kitchen.

We've decided we will most likely attempt to paint for now... cabinets are ugly laminate but in good condition. From what I can find on the internet, it seems there is a process now for painting over laminate so we may give it a shot. Will probably at least consult a painter friend, may just have him do it...

The chocolate brown sounds lovely! I've been thinking of that or black.

We will most likely rip out the cabinets and counters at some point down the line but figure we will try to make them pretty for now...

Definitely consider the IKEA butcher block, and since all of the stores have sales right now (especially IKEA) if you want to keep the kitchen floor plan the same you could replace those now and keep them on the next cabinets when you remodel. And even if you change the stove side you could just replace one countertop there when you redo it. And as I recall your new house doesn't have a counter on the left of the stove? You could look at the IKEA carts that are portable islands for extra counter space and cabinet room (they are on wheels too) next to the stove. You could move the stove and hood right, put the fridge far left (or in that pantry space) and then have extra counter space and cabinets put in very cheaply (stock from Lowes or Home Depot with stock counter top). If you put the fridge in the pantry space I would leave the stove where it is and put a counter right and a pantry cabinet left, that way you get extra counter and cabinet right, and have storage space. And it costs more but the counter depth fridges are very nice and don't stick out in the aisle the way a standard one does.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Steel cabinets are way cool and coming back into style!
    Any photos????
    Here a pic from tonight. I have a TINY 1950 bungalow. We tore out the wall between the living room and kitchen, the kitchen extends to the right, where the fridge and stove are. It was a TINY kitchen, now faces the living/dining area and is an eat in kitchen for all intents and purposes.

We painted the steel cabinets Kelly Moore "Harley Rumble" a gray/green. The backsplash is a natural stone in a subway style. The sink and faucet from Ikea. I love it.

http://inlinethumb44.webshots.com/19...600x600Q85.jpg