The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default GPS Tracking - Android - need help~

Merry Xmas to me! I couldn't find the thread regarding using a Verizon Android phone with google maps to track a morning's hunt. Just got one for christmas and can't wait to put it to work tomorrow morning.. just need to figure out how it works.
    Any quick suggestions, or thread link?

Also, any one try the "muvi" video cam? I want to pick one up at Brookstone's, strap it on my mare's breastplate and record the entire day (perhaps a bit of editing afterwards as to not put anyone to sleep).

With crappy weather (and a REALLY bad hangover after our hunt holiday party last week... foolish me) I haven't been out in over two weeks (most have been canceled) and I seriously need a fix! Just got my mare's snowpads/cleats on Thursday and the foot of snow is disappearing as I type... It'll be a sloppy one, but as long as we aren't canceled again.... Wahoooo and Tally Ho tomorrow..

Kick on y'all!

Default Found it!

Can't wait to try it out tomorrow! Will post route taken.. if I can figure out exactly how it works.

If you can get google maps to record your route, PLEASE PM me how you did it. I just spent a (slow) day at work trying to figure it out and only ended up with elevated blood pressure. I have a Blackberry Storm and am on Verizon, so I'm thinking the process will be similar.

Default Here's what I did....

I'm not too techno savvy, but here's how my droid worked:
    Download the "My Tracks" application, hit the menu button and record track. when you're done, touch the circle on the bottom right hand corner and you can easily send to google (must have open google account) and you're done.

The accuracy is amazing. If I moved over 10 feet to go around something - you could see the variation on the map.. very cool. Going to pair this function with a Muvi video camera mounted on either my mare's breastplate, or my helmet and really keep an accurate log of my hunting adventures!

Let me know if it works for you! (Ahh, just realized you asked for a PM - will copy and send).

I LOVE my Moto Droid, but I had not seen this app! Thanks for the tip!!

I've yet to find something that this phone doesn't do.
    www.foxwoodfarms.biz
    "There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
    -Member of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/wlrottge

My Tracks is an awesome FREE app for Android from Google. It's been working nicely on my moto Droid phone and replaced my Garmin GPS, which was much bulkier to carry. It's wonderful having a phone, GPS tracker and camera all in one package. (Hint, turn off the ringer when you hunt)

My Tracks is simple to use, just open the app, hit menu and select Record Track when you start, Stop Recording when you're done. It will show you a thin red line track of where you went either on a map or satellite picture of the country. You can zoom in/out for detail. Page over to get the stats like distance, moving time, max & current speed, avgs, etc, another page gives you elevation changes, but that's not very accurate. You can name and save the tracks.

Then, if you're an OC techie nerd like me, connect it via USB to your PC and upload the .kml files to Google Earth (another incredible free app). Amaze the hunt staff and all your hunt buddies with a color earth image map of the day's hunt.

Cheers,
    two scents

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

That sounds like it would guzzle a lot of battery power.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    That sounds like it would guzzle a lot of battery power.
    True, but if you keep the phone charged there's plenty of power for the duration of the hunt. Use the truck AC adaptor cable and you won't have a problem.

Question

what phones does this work on? I have a motorola heavy duty outdoor phone. But I just have been using it for phone calls. Great reception even in the ravines.

I used My Tracks on Sunday's hunt and even though it was 5 hours long I was surprised to see the track listing 1200 miles and ending somewhere in Mexico. I had my Garmin recording, too and we actually covered nearly 18 miles. The phone must have lost reception in a valley. The new Garmins have unbelieveable reception.

Run.GPS Trainer Lite is another nice little Android app with tracking, mileage and rate information.