The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Computer Games

Does anyone play them? What is it you play?

Right now my daughter has both my hubby and I playing theese darn
    hidden seek and find mystry and adventure games. Problem
    is we can't quit playing them.

Which kinds of games? Online game sites? I like Pogo and Great Day Games. DD likes Dead Whale. We both enjoy PopCap games. They're all free (you can buy a higher level membership in Pogo, but why bother?)

Or the massive multi-player online role playing games? I don't want to get in to those; way too time-consuming.

Or just the individual computer CD games that you buy? All kinds of options there. And I agree that once you get started, it's hard to stop.

Rather like reading and posting on CoTH..........
    Incredible Invisible

I play those hidden stuff games and the "adventure" types, too. I spend maybe $20-$20 on www.bigfishgames.com every month, trying something new.

My favorite is probably Wandering Willows: http://www.bigfishgames.com/download...ows/index.html You have tasks to complete and items to collect.

I used to play Everquest and World of Warcraft, which were both a hell of a lot of fun. Just a HUGE timesink!

I finished Fallout 3 not too long ago - very cool, but life draining addicting...

I like games like Thief and Splinter cell - I guess FPS'(ish) with thinking involved. like some adventure and puzzle games too.
    “We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”
    Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night

I used to play MYST...

I bet you youngsters have never even heard of it.

Of course, I have never heard of these games.

Does the fish site have any free trial excerpts so you can see a game before buying?
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

I love the popcap and bigfish games

we have really gotten into the private I and the hidden expadition games
    I have been pretty lucky and have picked up quite a few for 10.00
    at walmart and have also tried a few out on line too.

I am pretty much confined to my house in winter. (Broke my back two
    years ago) hubby doesn't want me outside unless it is to feed the animals
    and that's it. I still go out to go shopping but always with him and
    only when I have to. Weather affects my back pretty badly.

I have found that the computer games help really pass the time.
    We also recently picked up monster jam urban asault for the play station 2
    and really like racing one another on that.

Not much of a gamer, but every so often, perhaps once every three or four months, I'll get the bug to pop in Grand Theft Auto and sit on top of the Vice City Mall and snipe the pedestrians until they call out the national guard and they gun me down on the rooftop.

For a while, about six years ago, I loved playing the Sims. But that faded with time. I found it annoying to have to devote so much time to bettering the lives of pixels.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post
    I used to play MYST...

Does the fish site have any free trial excerpts so you can see a game before buying?
    Oh! I remember Myst! ARG, that game was infuriating... beautiful graphics for the time it was released, but the impossible puzzles like to have drove me nuts!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post
    I used to play MYST...

Oh, we have Myst. DH was into computer games very early: we still have our old Commodore upstairs someplace. DH got Oblivion and Sins of the Solar Empire for Christmas this year. I like some of the longer strategic games like Civilization as well as mindless clicking like Diner Dash.

Pogo.com is free for nearly any game; you can purchse a membership if you want access to a bit more content, but I don't think it's necessary. GreatDayGames.com is free; they have a lot of word games I like. PopCap, of course, has free games and would also like to sell you expanded versions; again, I'm fine with free. I like Big Money while DD likes Peggle. DeadWhale is free. I've never tried bigfish.
    Incredible Invisible

I guess I am old fashioned but I love the hidden object games. Kids got me Sleepy Hollow for Christmas which I will save until I have the time to play it. Years ago(late 90s)I played a game called Shivers and loved it!! Never found another I enjoyed as much. We had membership at Big Fish for awhile but found we didn't play near enough to justify it. But the Mystery Case Files were fun. My teenagers play the more sophisticated stuff like Fallout, GTA, Left 4 Dead. I just don't get into those.

I love hidden object games, but I must be simple, because I can't figure out how to play a lot of them. I tried the free session of one called Fate a few days ago, but I couldn't do anything more than make the guy wander around a village meeting people and creatures and accepting tasks. No idea how to get him to actually start doing the tasks.

Same thing last week. I tried the free session of some game about a ghost in a mansion, but couldn't get past wandering around the mansion. I wish they had "how too's" with these things.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I have a ton of pc games which I've been unable to play because my computer was too slow from a deadly virus...finally just got a new pc for xmas and its fabulous...the only thing is I can't decide what to play...I have Warcraft which I never got to play as well as Everquest Civilization, Spore Sims, Doom 3 Quake4, etc....also have the old Myst and Riven...those two games frustrated me because I guess I'm not good at the puzzles....I'd like to go back though and play them...

So...where do I start??? I've never really played those games like Warcraft before...is it easy to get into for a beginner?

I play LOTS of computer games. WAY too much time on my hands.

I currently play a few of the games on Facebook, the Sims 3, Pharaoh, Age of Empires, and I have a membership to GameHouse/Real Arcade one free game a day, one free game a month, anda a 65% (ish) discount on any other game purchases for about $10 a month or so.

Ive been really interested in maybe starting to play World of Warcraft, or the new Aeon that looked cool, but I really have no idea how to start.
    Check out my Equine Genetics Blog! Updated April 25th with Splashed White!!!
    http://equinegenetics.blogspot.com/

For those of us who like free, National Geographic has a ton of free downloads.

http://nationalgeographic.oberon-med...id=desktopIcon
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by knightrider View Post
    So...where do I start??? I've never really played those games like Warcraft before...is it easy to get into for a beginner?
    Stay away from World of Warcraft. It's not the sort of game you can really start without a lot of research and preparation first. The game has been around for years so it's become very unfriendly for new players, namely because there aren't many new players anymore. You have to do your research and find the server that best suits your location so you can play with people who are likely to be online when you are. It's also addictive because of the social structure, time commitment, and investment of money in building your character.

Louise-big fish has a one-hour free trial. And if you google the game name + walkthrough many have free screen shots with expanations of how to do it. I belong to big fish game club and for $6.99 a month (and I can quit whenever) I get the game (or pay 6.99 for a game credit) and 7.99 if you want the back up cd. I like the National Geographic ones-Herod's Tomb, Lost City of Z, etc. They do sell a lot in Walmart and that way you can play them endlessly, but you can still search for tips online. Route 66 was all hidden objects and most have little puzzles you do also (minigames) such as jigsaw puzzles, matching tiles, etc in between. Some also are untimed (the walkthrough or an online review tells you) and I like that part. I love the hidden object games but I'm not very good at them so I like the untimed easier ones. I have more than one computer so after I buy one I wait fifteen or so minutes, go to my email, and the receipt is there so I can download it. Or you go to your account, click download and on the game console on your desktop you click buy now, then I already bought this and it activates on the other computer. I really like the Mystery PI series-after you collect the items that are throughout the scenes (keys, or whatever the item is) you unlock the hidden object portion where you go to a scene and collect all of the possible objects in the scene.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

If you are looking for for online games then try out the site addictinggames.com

Lots of different types of games available and, yes, some are really addicting.

For the PC try the Nancy Drew series. They aren't as easy as you think (play on Senior Detective) and have lots of puzzles that need to be solved in order to advance mystery. My girls really got into these a few years ago and when they asked for help I ended up with my own file - funny how that keeps happening.

1 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

If you really want to have access to a lot of games quickly and have a broadband connection, using Steam is a great way to find new games to waste your free time. They are having a huge holiday sale right now so you can get a lot of the great games for much less than you'd pay to buy them in the stores.

www.steampowered.com

I always enjoyed word games. Anyone here remember the site call PlaySite?

I forget the name of the game...ugh that comes with the gray hair....but it was putting together as many words as possible in 30 sec. I was completely addicted for years as were many others...and then it disappeared one day. I am still in shock...sigh...
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

Birdsong: try Great Day Games for the best group of wordgames. Word creation, typing speeds, cryptogtrams, word seeks, crosswords; they're all there.

National Geographic has a bunch of free stuff, as does the games link at Readers Digest, but they both come with a lot of cookies and spam. Addictinggames.com produces a moderate amount of same. Pogo and Great Day seem to be pretty "clean". Both are free - you pay with your eyeballs by watching a 30-second ad every so often. Or by using the time to go get something from the kitchen, or to rest your eyes by refocusing on something far away.
    Incredible Invisible