The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Teeny Tiny ATVs at horse shows?

I got one of these for Christmas http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-.../Overview.aspx

Primary use will be going back and forth to my outdoor arena which is about 1/2 mile away from my barn, a godsend for my bad back. I was also thinking it would be great for horse shows...but it's a little louder than a golf cart or scooter. I haven't seen people using these at horse shows - would it be totally inappropriate? I'm hoping not, as I really don't have the ability to transport a golf cart. I am hoping that this is something that people do use at shows, and that the only reason I haven't seen people using them is that I only travel to a few venues and perhaps they're just not in vogue there...Thoughts?

FWIW, it's quite small - about 250 lbs, 90cc like a small scooter.

I see them all the time, so I say go for it and enjoy your new toy!

Thanks ThaRidge. So I am assuming everyone out there agrees with ThaRidge, as none of the 130-some other people who have viewed this thread have said "What, are you crazy?!" But I sure would appreciate some more feedback if anyone has it to offer

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Wellllll...

I haven't seen many although I knew a girl who had a Gator she used at shows. (I think they are larger than what you are talking about.... maybe 350cc?) It did spook some horses and she did get some looks because of how loud it was.

If you ride considerately, I would guess you will be fine. Just remember those types of vehicles tend to spray mud, so be aware of the folks/horses around you.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    It did spook some horses and she did get some looks because of how loud it was.
    Let me tell you, I *really* don't want to be that person! I've been riding it around the farm a lot and our horses have been fine with it - it's considerably smaller and quieter than a 350. I've joined an ATV forum and am looking for some suggestions re: an aftermarket muffler to make it quieter. Hopefully I'll be able to find something like that.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I bet you will be fine, particularly if you can make it a bit quieter. Obviously some horses (and riders, lol) are a bit amped up at shows, and stuff they could easily handle at home can become a bit more of an issue.

I really think it will be mostly about HOW you ride this thing, rather than WHAT you are riding. The person who zips by the riders on their way to the ring without caring that they just spattered everyone with mud is the one who is going to get the looks, not the person who rides considerately.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Vandy, it can't possibly be worse than the guys who drive golf carts at mach 10 with an open beach umbrella flapping above. You are considerate and will be OK.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

I have seen them used at the bigger shows in my parts and they didn't seem to bother the horses at all. As long as the speed is kept apporpriate, can't see how they could differ much from the golf carts that are whizzing around!

Default go for it!

We used a large, full size ATV for a long time or if we didnt have enough space to bring the golf cart along. There are many people in this zone (3) that use the full sized type, so I dont see how a smaller one would differ enjoy lucky duck!
    ---^v---^v---^v----------------------^v---^v---^v---
    For a moment there, you bored me to death

Former Long Islander now in the middle of the Great Lakes

You can buy a "Silencer" for it it is an extension off the muffler, If you bought this from a polaris dealer they should be able to set you up with it for a very little amount of money .

Mike's MCs - I have found the silencers online, but according to my dealer and everything I've found, no one makes them for the 90, just the larger models. If you know where I can find one for a 90, please let me know!

I did discover that I can get a custom one though...but not sure yet what that will cost, would certainly prefer something off the rack!