The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Vegetarians--Share Your Recipes!!!

I am always in need of some more vegetarian recipes. You can never have to many

Here is one of my favorites!

Tofu Mac and Cheese

1 pound elbow macaroni
    ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon butter
    ¼ cup whole wheat or all-purpose flour
    2½ cups plain soy milk, at room temperature
    4 ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed
    1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
    2 ounces soft, silken tofu, drained
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
    1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
    1 teaspoon ground paprika

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat an 9 x 13" baking dish with cooking spray.
    Prepare the macaroni according to package directions. Drain and place in the prepared baking dish. Add 1 tablespoon of butter and toss to coat. Melt the remaining 4 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for one to two minutes, stirring constantly. Increase the heat to high and whisk in the soy milk, stirring constantly. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring until the sauce is somewhat smooth and thick, the tofu will break into small lumps. Reduce the heat to low. Add the Velveeta, Cheddar, and tofu. Cook, stirring sauce for 6 to 8 minutes, or until cheese is fully melted. Please note: the tofu will not completely dissolve and there will be lumps. Don’t worry, it will all smooth out during the baking process. Stir in the salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and nutmeg. Pour the sauce mixture over the cooked pasta and mix well. Stir in Parmesan. Sprinkle with the paprika. Bake for 30 minutes or until the casserole is bubbling and top begins to brown.

Not a vegetarian, but this is my favorite cold soup, that I fix and have most days most of the year, except in the middle of winter.
    Get a large mixing bowl:

-Cut up in small slices some of those thin onions that come in bundles, about five or six of them, about half a package.
    -One medium cucumber cut in fourths and sliced each fourth in small sized chunks.
    -Choice of half red and half green, or a whole of either kind of pepper, cut into small pieces.
    -Two medium ripe tomatoes, cut into small pieces, some like them peeled, I don't care, but will peel them for those people.
    -Two small cans of low sodium V8 vegetable juice.

To taste:

-Add some garlic salt, or you can add chopped garlic.
    -Add pepper liberally.
    -Add some italian dressing.
    -Add some apple cider vinegar.
    -Add half that much olive oil.
    -Add water to fill the large bowl and stir well.

Chill in the refrigerator for a while and you can serve it, or put it up in bowl sized plastic containers.
    It keeps two or three days, before the cucumbers get a little soft and are not crunchy any more.

Takes little to prepare and makes four soup bowls.

I love to take frozen mixed veggies mix them with either cream of potato
    or cream of mushroom soup add only about 1/2 can milk then I make
    up some stove top stuffing and put that on top I bake it in the oven
    till it gets bubly. Even my daughter likes it.

I also peel and slice (kind a thick) about four potato's I put frozen veggies
    in the bottem of a sprayed caserole pan I pour in a can of cheese soup
    then I lay the potatos over that cover with foil and bake I usually pull
    it out sprinkle shredded cheese on top and eat.

I also make an awsome soup boil potatos, celery and onion in a pan
    once softened I drain the water add fresh water just enough to cover
    then I cut up velveta cheese and melt the velveta cheese in to the water
    you can add chicken flavor or salt and pepper to taste.

or through together a bunch of mixed veggies any kind you like
    and instead of potato add the veggies

you can also throw together a bunch of veggies add stewed tomatoes
    and tomatoe juice and have home made veggie soup.

I am not a vegetarian but I prefer veggies over meat.

One of my faves, I made this for my best friend's (a vegetarian) rehearsal dinner. I added Boursin cheese to it too, because, well, I think cheese should be added to everything
    Potato Kale Galette
    It works really well if you have a mandolin slicer for the potatoes.. Walmart has them for, like, $7 I think is what I paid for mine.

Oh thanks for posting this can't wait to try them.
    Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive. Dalai Lama

This one is from Vegetarian Times:

Thai Double Soy Stir-Fry 01-APR-05 p87
    Serves 4 -- Vegan

30 minutes or fewer

Hot, bright and crunchy, this dish mixes plenty of protein with lower-carb veggies—yellow bell peppers, scallions and broccoli. Note: Some curry paste is made with fish sauce, so check the label.

1 cup frozen shelled edamame
    1/4 cup lite coconut milk
    2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    1 Tbs. grated fresh ginger
    1 Tbs. Thai red curry paste
    2 cups bite-sized broccoli florets
    1 medium-sized yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
    1/2 cup vegetable stock
    1 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
    6 oz. Thai-flavored baked tofu, cut into 1-inch pieces
    8 to 12 cherry tomatoes
    2 large scallions, chopped
    1 Tbs. fresh lime juice

Directions:

Make rice

1. Boil edamame 4 minutes in water to cover; drain, and set aside.

2. Heat 2 Tbs. coconut milk in large wok over high heat until it boils, about 30 seconds. Stir in garlic, ginger and curry paste. Add broccoli and bell pepper, and stir-fry 1 minute. Add vegetable stock and 1/4 cup water, and stir-fry 2 minutes more.

3. Stir in soy sauce and remaining coconut milk. Add edamame, tofu, tomatoes and scallions, and stir-fry until heated through. Drizzle with lime juice. Serve immediately

Here's one with soba noodles:

Broccoli Soba with Peanut-Pumpkin Sauce

8 oz package of soba noodles
    3 c fresh broccoli florets
    1/2 c water
    1/3 c peanut butter
    1/3 c canned pumpkin
    2 tbsp Bragg's Liquid Aminos
    1/8 tsp hot pepper sesame oil

Cook soba noodles and broccoli together in a large pot according to soba package directions. Drain.

In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, whisk water, peanut butter, pumpkin, Bragg's and oil until smooth and creamy. For a thinner sauce add a little bit more water/liquid aminos. Serve over soba and broccali.

Makes 4 servings

Not low-cal but very yummy:

mexican rice/corn/sour cream/cheese casserole

cook rice first oven 350

2 T oil 6 T fresh cilantro (?)
    1 onion 6c cooked rice
    2 garlic cloves, minced 1 1/2 c corn
    2 poblano chiled, diced 1 1/2 c grated cheddar
    2 c sour cream

saute onion & garlic in oil, add poblanos, stir, cool.
    combine sour cream, 1/2 t salt & cilantro, set aside.
    stir rice & corn into poblano mix, add sour cream &
    blend in, blend in cheese, put all into casserole dish
    & cover, bake 45 min.

I keep my favorite recipes saved in my web mail so I can print them out at work and stop by the store on the way home.

Not a vegetarian myself, but my two favorite soup recipes happen to be vegetarian:

CORN CHOWDER
    2 russet potatoes, peeled and diced
    2 cans evaporated milk
    4 tbsp butter
    1 large sweet yellow onion, diced
    2 cans sweet yellow corn
    1 cup Bueno mild green chile (optional)
    salt, pepper, dill to taste

Boil potatoes until soft, and drain. Puree potatoes in blender with 1 can evaporated milk, return to pot. Saute onion in butter til soft and lightly browned, add green chile. Puree onion/green chile in blender with other can of evaporated milk, add to pot with potatoes, and stir well. Add corn and cook on low for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add dill, salt, & pepper to taste.
    *I have also made this recipe non-vegetarian by adding bacon, as well as making it vegan by substituting Soy Milk for evaporated milk and corn oil for butter.

CREAM OF ASPARAGUS SOUP
    1 lb cooked fresh asparagus (boiled or steamed til tender)
    2 cans evaporated milk
    1 yellow onion
    ½ stick of butter
    pinch thyme
    ½ tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp pepper

Warm asparagus in evaporated milk with thyme. In separate pan, saute onion in butter until soft, adding pepper and garlic powder. Drain milk from asparagus and reserve; put onion and asparagus in blender and puree with a small amount of milk. Combine all ingredients and cook on low for 10 minutes. Add salt to taste.

I LOVE using evaporated milk in recipes - it provides a much creamier taste/consistency than regular milk, but without all the calories of heavy cream.

Iechris, the recipes you posted sound amazing! I am going to get the stir fry ingredients to try tonight, though I may sub shrimp for tofu

I am a vegetarian by proxy. All the animals I eat are vegetarians.

Quote Originally Posted by translation services View Post
    I am a vegetarian by proxy. All the animals I eat are vegetarians.
    I am allergic to soy products, so would have a hard time as a vegetarian.

I am surprised at the amounts of milk and cheese vegetarians can use and still call themselves vegetarians, yes, surprised.
    No wonder they can stay somewhat healthy without other animal products.

I am a light meat eater, but sure do enjoy my once a week at most steak, when I go out.
    I don't keep meat at home, other than what comes in dry Lipton chicken noodle soup or other such, because I really prefer vegetable meals for daily fare.

Everything varied and in moderation is best, I think, even vegetarian meals.

vegans are the ones who only eat screamin veggies.

Vegetarians are actually lacto, lacto ovo, or even seafoodatarians. I've met countless people at macdonald's who chow down on a mcChicken and think they are vegetarians.

That's what I mean- all the animals I use/eat are vegetarians.Therefore I am a vegetarian by proxy. I don't eat dog, cat, snake, alligator, bear, wolf and most fish. I will happily eat horse if someone will prepare it for me.

I'm not a vegetarian but these sound yummy

Oh, I don't think I'll have time to dig them out before OT day is over, but I have some great squash recipes and a kickin' corn chowder recipe that everyone in my family enjoys... My #1 daughter has been a 'veggie' for the last 7 of her 19 years. I'll try to get back with recipes, and look forward to more additions!
    Y'all ain't right!

Thanks for all the recipes! I'm putting a recipe book together, slowly. I never ate a piece of meat until I was 10 years old. My parents said I could not and would not eat it despite ongoing efforts. After seeing my grandfather's farm (where he raised cattle for meat) I decided it just wasn't something for me. He treated all of his animals really really well and I respect farmers immensely. However, I do enjoy dairy products--milk, cheese, etc.. I just cannot eat something that I believe has a soul (I lean toward Buddhist ideals. Yes, I'm the family hippie! ). People think I'm crazy, that's okay. I don't look down or judge people with different beliefs. That's their choice. Plus, my grocery bill is a fraction of what it used to be!

Here is one for Chocolate/Peanut Butter Cookies

1 cup sugar
    1 cup peanut butter
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    3 ounces applesauce
    1/2 cup flour
    1 cup chocolate chips

Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

2) In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together sugar and peanut butter until well combined. Add baking soda and mix. Then add in applesauce and mix until combined. With mixer running add in flour until the mixture forms a doughy, almost dry, texture. Turn off mixer and fold in chocolate chips.

3) Roll into one inch balls and flatten slightly. Place onto UNgreased cookie sheet (I have a really good cookie sheet so you may want to use some parchment). I usually fit 12 on the sheet in four rows of 3. Bake for 16 minutes. Cookies will be golden brown and appear VERY SOFT. Let cool for a few minutes before removing them from the cookie sheets.

*They do harden up a bit, trust me, and they are DELICIOUS. My extremely picky 2 year old will eat these!

Source of recipe: I made this recipe up when I was having trouble finding a vegan Peanut Butter cookie recipe that worked. Needless to say, I ended up making these every day for over a week! No joke! They are a must try & never last long enough for a picture. I'm sure you could make these easily by hand but I used a stand mixer.

A friend of mine shared this one for stuffed peppers:

Prepare a box of Zatarain's Dirty Rice mix, but use a bag of Morning Star crumbles instead of ground beef.

Cut the tops off of red bell peppers and remove seeds. (The bag of 6 red bell peppers from CostCo works great.)

Blanch red peppers in large pot of boiling water. I leave them in for ~5 minutes to remove any wax and get them started cooking.

Fill peppers with rice mixture and place in shallow dish.

Bake in ~350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes. (I'm guessing...)

Optionally, top with cheese and pop back in oven until it's melted.

I'm not a vegetarian, but DH and I like these better with the soy crumbles than with ground beef.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Here's a really easy one.

One can black beans. (Organic if you prefer)
    One half can Rotel tomatoes w/chili peppers.

Heat.

Serve over rice or tortilla chips.

Add cheese if you eat dairy products.

I'm a four-five month vegetarian. The only thing I'm having a very difficult time giving up is chicken broth. I guess that means that I'm not a vegetarian, but I have not eaten meat ... in that four-five month period.

I bought some puy lentils ... they're the ones imported from France, and they are wonderful!

I make a kind of "soup" that is so thick it really ends up being a topping for baked spuds or rice.

Two carrots, chopped
    Heaping cup of chopped celery
    TWO heaping cups of onions
    two cloves of garlic.

brown the above in a couple tablespoons of olive oil. Add a bay leaf.

4 cups of chicken broth (ok ok my one weakness) you could use veggie broth.
    Soak your lentils over night in the broth.

Dump the soaked lentils (there will be liquid left over) once the carrots, above, have a little color. Bring to a boil. Add 1 can chopped tomatoes, WITH the juice. A pinch of sugar to cut the acidity of the tomatoes.

Reduce the heat and simmer (I put the lid on) until the lentils are done.

Serve over hot rice or hot baked spud.

WONDERFUL!

You could make this with regular lentils, but they do NOT taste or cook the same. Whole Foods always has the French lentils ... they're tiny and greeny-brown. Oh, salt and pepper to taste.
    "For God hates utterly
    The bray of bragging tongues."
    Sophocles, Antigone Spoken by the Leader of the Chorus of Theban Elders

That lentil recipe sounds yummy! And for those into lentils (cheap, high protein, low calorie) here's my lentil soup recipe.

About 2/3 cup lentils
    3 cups water
    1/2 can Rotel tomatoes w/chili peppers
    1/2 cup chopped onion or whatever amount you prefer
    1/2 cup chopped carrots or whatever amount you prefer
    1/2 cup chopped cabbage or whatever amount you prefer
    salt
    pepper
    2 tsp butter
    a bay leaf or two

Throw it all in a pot, boil, then simmer for about an hour. I make this at the same time I make the black beans and Rotel. That way I use up the whole can of Rotel.

I agree that some vegetarians eat way too much cheese and other dairy products. My husband is one of them. A sensible plant based diet makes much more sense. I'm not a vegetarian, but I try to eat healthy. Happy 2010 to everyone!

I often eat "pasta primavera", fast and easy: boil some pasta, mix with your favorite chopped up steamed veg, add a drop of olive oil and a little shredded cheese.

You can turn any dish that includes ground meat "veggie" by just subsituting soy-based "meat crumbles" for the meat. Dishes like lasagna etc. you can't even tell they don't have meat.

Red Beans & Rice

* 1 pound red kidney beans, dry
    * 1 large onion, chopped
    * 1 bell pepper, chopped
    * 5 ribs celery, chopped
    * As much garlic as you like, minced (I like lots, 5 or 6 cloves)
    * 1/2 to 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves, crushed
    * 1 or 2 bay leaves
    * As many dashes Crystal hot sauce or Tabasco as you like, to taste
    * A few dashes Worcestershire sauce
    * Creole seasoning blend, to taste; OR,
    o red pepper and black pepper to taste
    * Salt to taste
    * A teaspoon or so of liquid smoke and a few tablespoons of vegetable oil

Soak the beans overnight, if possible. The next day, drain and put fresh water in the pot. Boil til tender (about 45 mins) and drain.

While the beans are boiling, sauté onions, celery, bell pepper until the onions turn translucent. Add the garlic and saute for 2 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Add veggies to beans, seasonings, water to cover. Simmer for a few hours and serve with rice when it's creamyish. This dish is frequently better the next day.

Whole Foods Smoked Mozzarella Salad:

DRESSING
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1/2 cup chopped parsley
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    1/4 cup white wine vinegar
    3 cloves garlic, minced (1 and 1/2 tsp.)
    Pinch of cayenne pepper
    Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

THE SALAD
    1/2 pound penne pasta
    2 cups packed baby spinach, washed and stemmed
    2 small jarred roasted red pepper, diced
    1/2 pound smoked mozzarella cheese, diced

TO PREPARE THE PARMESAN DRESSING
    Combine the Parmesan cheese, parsley, mayonnaise, vinegar, garlic, cayenne pepper, and salt and pepper with a hand mixer or in the bowl of food processor or in a blender until the dressing is smooth.

TO PREPARE THE SALAD
    In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta until it is al dente. Drain the pasta into a colander, run cold water over it or submerge it in ice water until chilled through, and drain well. IN a large mixing bowl, combine the cooked pasta, spinach, roasted red peppers, and smoked mozzarella.

Vegetable Pot Pie that Rules

2 tbsp olive oil
    1 onion
    1 8 oz pack of mushrooms
    Clove garlic
    2 carrots
    2 potatoes
    2 cups cauliflower
    2 stalks of celery
    1 cup green beans
    3 cups vegetable broth
    1 tsp kosher salt
    1 tsp pepper
    2 tbsp cornstarch
    1 tablespoon soy sauce

Heat olive oil, cook onions, mushrooms, garlic, about 5 minutes until tender
    Stir in carrots, potatoes, and celery then add cauliflower, beans, broth
    Boil, then simmer, til tender, Season with salt and pepper

Mix cornstarch, soy sauce, ¼ cup water, add to veggies to thicken. You can shove the whole thing into a pastry or pie crust and bake topped with puff pastry, but I like to serve this over brown and wild rice. The recipe makes a freaking ton so plan accordingly. That may also be because I like to add whatever random frozen vegetables are in my freezer. Half it anyway or freeze what you don't eat.

Squash & Sweet Potato Soup

INGREDIENTS
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 small yellow onion, chopped
    1 celery rib, chopped
    2 medium-sized sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
    1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and thinly sliced
    4 cups vegetable stock
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/2 teaspoon dried sage
    salt and freshly-ground black pepper
    1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and celery and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
    2. Transfer the cooked vegetables to a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker. Add sweet potatoes, squash, stock, thyme, and sage; season with salt and pepper, cover, and cook on Low for six hours. Or transfer ingredients to a large soup pot, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cook, covered, for 1 hour.
    3. Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender or food processor, or directly in the slow cooker or soup pot using an immersion blender. Taste to adjust the seasonings and serve hot, with hunks of a good artisan bread.
    ---
    They're small hearts.