The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Coffee lovers: educamate me, please

DH and I do not drink coffee. We don't object to it; we just don't much care for it. But the occasional visiting friend/relative does. And due to the proliferation of flavored coffee-ish drinks, teenage DD has developed a taste for the stuff as well.

What are good instant options to have on hand for the occasional guest? Tasty/not so tasty brands? Are the flavored ones like General Foods International tins a good option? Any special add-ins to keep on hand, especially as a treat for DD?
    Incredible Invisible

I would get a french press and some good ground coffee, depending on your region you probably have a great local roasterie closer than you think.

I am technically inept, and even I can't mess up french press coffee. It's really no more difficult, and much tastier, than instant.

If you are really gung ho, you could get a coffee bean grinder too and grind your own beans. Again, much easier than it sounds. I think a french press and a grinder should not set you back more than $20 a piece, especially if you can find them in a TJ Maxx or Marshalls.

I hate to break this to you...instant is never a good option.

BUT. They do make very cheap coffeemakers...even a 2 cup one, el cheapo at Walmart. A great deal can be had with coupons at Kohl's or Bed Bath & Beyond. They don't need to be fancy or programmable.

When you come visit in Jan, I can show you!!!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Quote Originally Posted by DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho" View Post
    I hate to break this to you...instant is never a good option.
    While this has always been true, Starbucks (who else!) has come out with some unbelievable instant coffee, especially the Italian Roast. Otherwise I agree, a small drip pot if you don't mind having another appliance. Love to grind my own beans and do so every morning. A French Press sounds wonderful, I hear it makes wonderful java.

Second both the french press And Starbucks instant coffee. The French press is super easy and takes up very little counter space. The Starbucks instant coffee is easily the best instant coffee I've had.....really the only kind I've found worth buying.

Another vote for French press or the Starbucks instant. Starbucks instant is actually drinkable, all others are worse than nothing IMO. When I stay with friends with no coffee maker, I tend to try to think of excuses to go out in the AM so I can get some real coffee somewhere. And yes... I DO have a coffee problem, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by JustTrails View Post
    While this has always been true, Starbucks (who else!) has come out with some unbelievable instant coffee, especially the Italian Roast. Otherwise I agree, a small drip pot if you don't mind having another appliance. Love to grind my own beans and do so every morning. A French Press sounds wonderful, I hear it makes wonderful java.
    Starbucks VIA is the only instant I've ever tried that isn't TOTAL CRAP. I would honestly rather have tea than something like Taster's Choice.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

I don't mind instant... but then I'm a coffee wuss. I like the milder flavored ones like at 7/11 vs. Timmy's which is WAY strong for me.

For brewed though, Melita is as easy as instant. Boil water, pour over grounds, voila. It doesn't burn, so it never gets too strong.

I use a scoop from a supplement (I'm 99% sure it was a horse supp vs. human protein powder ) that is the right size for the electric hot pot full of water I make. Comes out right every time.

The GF tins are loffly with some enhancement--of the alcohol type, but too sweet for anyone who doesn't take sugar in their java.

I'd stick with the above suggestions or look at a Melita. About $10 for the starter kit. Refill filters generically much cheaper--I have a $3 permanant reuseable filter for when I run out of paper.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

I never liked coffee, until they got Keurig machines at work. Now, I'm so addicted to the dark, bold roasts, that I have a small Keurig at home, so I can get my fix every day.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

One word: Keurig. www.keurig.com. BEST. THING. EVER.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

I concur re: starbucks instant or dark roast and french press.

What you might consider is a Tassimo machine. It is a bit expensive, but it makes really good espresso, cappucino, latte, chai, hot chocolate, and so forth--and does it one cup at a time.

http://www.tassimodirect.com/tassimo/index.aspx
    --Becky in TX
    Clinic Blogs and Rolex Blogs
    She who throws dirt is losing ground.

Definitely french press. That is the only way we make coffee.
    We also use 8 O'Clock in the brown bag. Brings back memories of the cashier at the A&P grinding it at the checkout stand.

And cream, not milk!

Um - I need to have coffee for someone maybe 3-4 times a YEAR. I am not making room on my already cluttered countertops or non-existant storage space for an appliance that will not be used for months on end. DD will be moving away to college in less than a year, so no one here will drink it except, again, the VERY occasional visitor.

And we live waaaaaaay out in the boonies. Do they sell the Starbucks stuff in the grocery? Cause if not the nearest Starbucks is 40 miles away.

Pinto: Alcohol is, of course, a flavor enhancer for most anything. But DD is only 17. NOT real appropriate in this situation.
    Incredible Invisible

Another vote for Starbuck's Via instant, and I really HATE instant coffee normally...!
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

As someone who also did not drink coffee, only using it for recipes (Better Than Sex pie, actually) and the occasional visitor, I would buy the best-regarded instant (like I knew myself ) and keep the jar in the freezer.

Go for a good instant. You can always buy your daughter some coffee syrups- there's a massive range out there!

http://www.fiammacoffee.com/mx-cart-...ex.php?cPath=6
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post
    Go for a good instant. You can always buy your daughter some coffee syrups- there's a massive range out there!

http://www.fiammacoffee.com/mx-cart-...ex.php?cPath=6
    Again, simply no such thing as a "good" (or even "palatable") instant coffee, except Starbucks VIA (which is available in reasonably-stocked grocery stores or online.) Syrups only work if someone likes flavor and/or sugar in their coffee.

Another really nice thing about VIA is they come in single-serve pouches in a box of 12, so you don't have to measure it and don't have a jar sitting there 2/3 full.

The Keurigs and Tassimos are nice if you are either a coffee drinker yourself, or if you are a tea drinker (Keurig at least has nearly as many Celestial Seasonings varieties as coffee varieties.) They're not really worth it if you don't do ANY kinds of hot beverage on a regular basis.

For the occasional cup of coffee, a french press is the way to go. They are easy to use, make a good cup of coffee and then can be stored away. They are not expensive, either.

I've not tasted the Starbucks instant, but then again I have a semi-commercial espresso maker/cappuccino maker and order my coffee from someone who ships it the day it roasts . . . so I am probably not their target audience .

I am always grateful when I go to visit someone and they have some nice coffee available as I'd rather eat dirt than most instant coffees.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Might be different over here, but we do have some really nice instant coffees.

I mentioned the syrups because the OP posted about her daughter liking flavoured drinks.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Re 3-4 times/year: Buy a small coffee pot, stash it in a closet, and put some decent, real ground coffee in your freezer. I'm a Starbucks fan, drink dark roast, etc, etc. BUT go to your local grocery and get some Folgers in the smallest quantity they have.