The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Has anyone traveled to Cuba?

Since I go outside the US a lot, a friend who visited me once said "you should go to Cuba, because you CAN"

Looking it up, it's pretty crazy (The US government can fine me $10K just for going!).

So, has anyone been there for vacation, etc? How was it?

Lonely Planet rates it their #1 pick in the Caribbean, so it sounds like people are going:
    http://www.lonelyplanet.com/caribbean

I would kind of like to go - but it is against the law so i'll skip it. I have a friend who flies in to the DR and then takes a sea plane to Havanna. Of course he can afford the fines and a good lawyer!
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

We're going in 3 weeks. I can't wait. Nothing but rave reviews from everyone else I know who's been.I'm in Canada so its not a big deal to go there though. We try to go somewhere sunny and different each year. We'll see how Cuba stacks up

I went to GITMO. The best scuba diving! Seriously, it was better diving than Hawaii, Guam, or Florida. Other than the diving, though terrain is rugged and can be boring.
    Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

I went over for a day trip while vacationing in Jamaica but it was maybe 8 years ago. I thought that it was very disturbing at the time , lots of the usual propaganda about women wanting soap because they wanted to bathe too often and children asking for pencils etc. I have been to some other third world countries and have witnessed poverty so it wasn't that.
    Perhaps things are better now but for some reason I felt the atmosphere oppressive and depressing. jmho.
    As far as getting caught, we were issued paper visas and our passports were not stamped so I really was not concerned, maybe that was naive.

Quote Originally Posted by blaster View Post
    I went to GITMO. The best scuba diving! Seriously, it was better diving than Hawaii, Guam, or Florida. Other than the diving, though terrain is rugged and can be boring.
    Do go to Cozumel if you love to dive it is absolutely one of the most breathtaking places in the underwater world.

It's a huge tourist destination for Germans.... I've always wanted to go. My brother wants me to go with him. He can go because he's Norwegian. I would get in trouble..... I wish they would lift the embargo...like it's done any good anyway......
    Turn off the computer and go ride!

Just got back from study abroad in Costa Rica and my professor went to Cuba for a weekend to set up a study abroad program as soon as the embargo gets lifted. If you want the info, I can email him since he now knows all the ins and outs of, you know, getting in and out He said it was absolutely amazing and to go now before 4 million Americans descend on it

I have been to Guantanamo a number of times. The water is fantastic and the weather usually nice. It can be hot, though -- I went on many a run in 100+ temps. I would love to go to the mainland, but it would not be worth the potential fine to me.