The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Cool Knitting - and donating scarves.

So I started doing a bit of knitting (okay, one scarf so far) with the intent of donating items (okay, scarves, since I don't think I can make anything else!)
    I wanted to start a "Knitting for Nepal" group and send scarves over there. Made a few inquiries, but never heard back from anybody. Don't know anyone there but would like to go there some day.
    Anyways, does anyone knit and donate their items?
    Know of a needy village/region in Nepal?
    Last edited by BEARCAT; Dec. 26, 2009 at 07:36 PM.
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

How about donating scarves to the homeless in America?

Knitting is fun!

I'll donate...to whomever needs them All I can do are scarves though, I haven't mastered hats, gloves, or anything that isn't just knitting and purling straight across.

Or to the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan?

Or the Red Scarf Project, which supports orphans making the transition to college or trade school.
    Proud Member: Bull-snap Haters Clique, Michigan Clique, and Appaloosa Clique!

There are so many places that could use donations. Here's yet another idea. Your local animal shelter. Not scarves per se, but knitted kitty blankets. I took one in a couple weeks ago and they were so thankful to get it. One jailed kitty will have something soft to cuddle into while he/she is there.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Local domestic violence shelters need them in adult & childrens sizes.

Many times they are there with nothing but the clothes on their backs.

Master hats. One of the coolest things at my job is the basket of free hats at the IV Infusion clinic (chemotherapy) Funky hats, cute hats, berets... all hand made.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Local charity or SHIPs Project

http://home.mindspring.com/~stylist/id20.html

great group and gives loads of help learning how to

Smile

The SHIPs project sounds interesting...
    Wish I could do hats, but for now scarves it is!!
    Last edited by BEARCAT; Dec. 26, 2009 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Never mind, I don't think they take scarves...

So interesting that someone posted a thread like this,but my answer for you isn't what you're going to want to hear.

In 19 weeks, I'm heading off to a really small remote village in northern Nepal to volunteer at a friend's childrens' home, where she lives with 28 kids.

It's quite a sweet gesture for you to want to send scarves to Nepal, but the shipping system is unfortunately very bad. It'll cost you a small fortune to mail the package, and it has a very slim chance of reaching its desired destination. With the political state of the country, a mail system is fairly non existent.

If you're interested in helping the country/ a specific population or organization, your best bet would be to donate money directly where you want it to go, and tell them what you want it to be used for. This also helps to support local industry/women in the towns by giving them a salary for producing goods rather than shipping goods directly. I can put you in touch with one of those if you'd like, or as others have stated helping locally might be much easier.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. Explore. Dream. Discover.
    ~Mark Twain

Why Nepal? Why scarves? And why scarves to Nepal? If you want to make a difference in a developing country, I would strongly urge you to ask people who live and work there what they need, rather than sending what you think they need. Better yet, ask the people you want to help what they want.

I work in and spend more than 6 months per year living in a different developing country (Malawi). I see well-intentioned donations arriving all the time. More often than not, the unsolicited ones never reach their intended beneficiaries; they are items that can't be used or that are much, much less useful than other products of similar nature and value; they are readily and cheaply available locally; and far more useful items could have been procured locally for the cost of shipping. Moreover, the thoughtfulness of a handmade item doesn't always translate well cross-culturally. I'm sorry if I sound cynical about your idea, because I think it's kind and well-meaning. But unless you have a very good reason to believe that there is a shortage of American-made scarves in Nepal, I'd urge you to consider one of the thoughtful alternatives suggested by other posters.

Hats are super easy if you get a circular needle.

When I had more time, I had a small business knitting hats. Maybe you could sell them and then and donate the profits? (I made hats with kitty ears on them and sold them for $20 each, seriously.)

Wink

I definitely DON'T disagree with the last 2 posts. I have lived in (hot) 3rd world countries (back when they were called that ) and their needs are much different than ours. And yes, packages there don't often reach their destinations when they come from "rich" countries.
    Funny that you should mention Greg's book. Just got done reading "3 cups of tea." That and "The Friday night Knitting Club" are what got me started on this path.
    In a ways, I came here to COTH to brainstorm, as this is a good place for it.
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

So, I kinda like this one:
    http://www.rectangle6x9.org/

If I can knit a scarf I can knit a rectangle right?

Quote Originally Posted by BEARCAT View Post
    So, I kinda like this one:
    http://www.rectangle6x9.org/

If I can knit a scarf I can knit a rectangle right?
    Very cool project