The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Traditions You Could Do Without

I just finished celebrating my Third Annual Christmas Day Unplanned Fence Repair.

It also, of course, turned cold overnight, started snowing (nice white Christmas), and windchill up on my ridge is below 0. Perfect weather for the CDUFR. I was in my full insulated suit and am still thawing 30 minutes later after coming in.

My Bernese Mountain Dog, on the other hand, adored it. She was racing circles, rolling, frisking, galloping up to me and then away. Her kinda weather. Not mine.

So what are your Christmas traditions you could do without? I realize mine really was horse related, but I'm putting it in Off-Topic Day to open the field.

When we had the farm, we had the Annual Christmas Slaughter.

Every year.

Either the dog or the cats would chose Christmas (the day when 50 people were coming to dinner) to kill Something and leave it in an unusual place (say, the front of the driveway, or the front porch door (which of course we never used except for company).

A bird, a rat, a rabbit...one year a family of wild pigs came to visit (sow and about 8 piglets) and Thank God no one killed any of them, although NOT for lack of trying.....

City people don't believe that "this really doesn't happen every day" when they see it every Christmas Day...

Default Not just Christmas, but on all holidays...

The pets appear to observe a seasonal "Let's almost die" ritual which is slowly driving my whole family batty. My dog is the worst. She took out Hanukkah 2008, St. Patrick's Day 2007, Memorial Day 2004, etc. My sister's dog took Easter 2006 and some holiday further back. My other sister's cat took this Christmas, after it was discovered she had some abdominal mass that everyone assumed was cancer. One pricey ultrasound later, it appears that it is kitty IBS, and not cancer, which made it a merry but somewhat shell-shocked holiday with a semi-shaved cat.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

yeah, my dog and my truck only seem to get sick at Christmas....
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

The unexpected Xmas pet. Two years in row, I've had a little stray. Zippy the pinhead showed up a year ago yesterday and Basie about two weeks ago.

I like helping animals but we're full now. Please let next year's have an owner I can return it to.
    Still Crazy After All These Years

I'm hopeful that this first Annual Run Out of Propane on Christmas Eve doesn't recur. (We finished the tank two months earlier than usual -- maybe because of the new showers in both bathrooms? Dunno.)

Mary and Joseph were looking for a place to sleep...my family was looking for a shower stall.
    "And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"

I could do without the annual Christmas Eve Car Wreck in front of the barn....that pushes the wrecked fence into the back of my horse trailer lol.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

I could happily live without the recently set tradition of 6 hours of whitecrap removal on Christmas day. I still have more do do courtesy of a blizzard on the 23rd, more falling and blowing whitecrap on the 24th and the requisite removal of said whitecrap on the 25th. Been 6 or 7 years this has been happening now.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Um, I could do without my sister-in-law's cooking. Cold Honey-Baked Ham (I hate sugar glaze on meat), rolls dumped directly from the bag into the bread basket without heating, and my personal favorite: canned green beans drowned in bottled French dressing. She does okay on desserts.

For this reason we NEVER do dinner on Christmas Day itself at her house. I learned quickly after the first time we tried this. We left Dad's house just as the prime rib and twice-baked potatoes were coming out of the oven; to say the green beans were a letdown is the understatement of the year. I think I ate about a pound and a half of spinach dip and crackers that we brought, a core sample of ham, and some cake.

Now we know to eat before going to her house. And yes, my husband has told his sister that "just because the green beans/French dressing combo is something Grandma used to serve doesn't mean it's a tradition that needs to be continued."

BLECH Mara!!!! Oh wow!!!

I locked my keys in the truck Christmas Eve, hopefully never, ever again!
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Green Bean Casserole. In all of its perversions. What is it about smearing canned/frozen vegetables with cheap cans of soup that turns a weird concoction into a venerated family tradition to be foisted on the relatives each and every year? Ick.

The annual "what the h*ll is this that my MIL gave me and why the double h*ll would she think I would want it" tradition is one that could go away.......
    Incredible Invisible