The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horses can have beer right?

I have always heard of people giving horses beer, seen it in movies, had recipes for beer bran mash and read of people giving beer to horses with anhidrosis but read something tonight online that said beer will make a horse sick

My old mare turns 21 on January 1st (not a TB - it is her real birthday). I thought it would be fitting to buy her a beer and give her a swig and put a dash in a mash.

I just wanted to check that beer is fine for horses because I am paranoid and OCD and would feel better is I asked here!

Any suggestions on brand? I am not a beer drinker, nor are any of my friends or family so I'll probably be overwhelmed by the choices when I walk down the aisle. Thanks!
    Last edited by MyMoodyMares; Dec. 24, 2009 at 11:55 PM. Reason: typo

Yup, use it in the summer for anhydrosis. And have tried it to tempt a VERY hard keeper and get a few extra calories into him. Guinness is generally best for anhydrosis, but they like just about any kind (mine have been known to steal a sip of mine as a treat).

When I was a child, my father gave my horses some of his beer and said it was good for them. He was right.

The Japanese, I have read, give their race horses beer. (Hopefully not for the same reason that they give the Kobe cattle beer.)

My horse from Germany drinks beer. Of course he drinks Coke and OJ too. (I've had dogs who drank beer also.) My KY TB mare did not drink altho it might have helped her arthritis in her 20s if she had taken up drinking.

Interestingly, one of my aunts, who never drank alcohol, was prescribed beer by her doctor for her arthritis. I think maybe it could be used for arthritis in horses too.

Merry Christmas. Cloudy will quaff a Beck today.

I always gave my hunting horse a Guinness in his bran mash after a hard days hunting. He was my Whip horse.

I also gave 1/2 a Guinness in Beanie's feed after a hard x-c.

When the horses had a day off from work, they got bran mash and a Guinness that evening feed.

In Winter up here, we gave it every Sun night feed.

I've always given warm meals in the Winter, along with warm water. It's just tepid the rest of the year, but meals are still mixed in house on the AGA.

Harry will get his Guinness tonight with some extra herbs. He loves his meals, though, it's just a cup and a half of BP in the pm, and 1/2 cup for am. (He's a bit of an air fern, and a lot of a Divo)

I finish the rest of the Guinness or use it as a rinse on my hair, or add it to some stew.

We gave Guinness to a non-sweater because it was cheaper than One-AC. It made the barn smell like a bar but it worked really well
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

We have a horse at my work that gets beer with his food because he doesn't sweat. An ENTIRE beer in the morning and another at night. We're always cracking jokes about him being an alcoholic, party animal, etc. Especially since he's a grumpy-faced horse so I always tell him if he wasn't up so late drinking he wouldn't be so grumpy!
    Who needs wings when you've got a jumper?
    http://darkstr.webs.com

Mine all get a beer from time to time and yes, my nonsweater got Guinness Stout daily for months. Hard to say Guinness is cheaper than One A/C, though LOL, at 8$ a six pack!

We had a pony with anhydrosis who got a can of beer 1-2x a day. She even stopped eating her food unless we would add beer!

"Beer: Proof that God wants us to be happy"

~Benjamin Franklin
    ... It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that Shwung

Let it be known that The $700 Pony would prefer to be a beer guzzling hussy ;-) Don't know if RR ever let her imbibe, but if you have a beer ANYWHERE near her, you WILL lose it, much to some of our boarders chagrin! They LOVE it, though poor Emmy has bad taste....Natty Light..eww! Going to get her some Guinness for New Years

Willem adored Guinness, which Oliver also loves.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

You don't have to give it in feed only. Straight up, out of the can will do just fine! Hold the bottom end of the can and let the horse take a slug! Nothing, but nothing, like a TB who is rooting for a swig.

yup, totally fine. I had a horse at a camp I was working at with a REALLY sore lower back- possible kidney pain. Beer, surprisingly, had been recommended as a kidney flush. Camp was not willing to fork over money, I experimented, and whaddaya know-- no back pain. Gave him a dark guinness once/per day for a week.

Yeast in beer can help improve digestion on horses that tend to be a bit "ulcery" and mildly colic. The old timers gave a beer a day. Instead, people now give probiotics. IMO, the beer is better, and cheaper. Often those old time things were very beneficial.

I have heard that beer helps a mare to milk up better. Something to do with the hops in it. Then I heard on tv the same for pregnant women.

I give my horse a beer every once and awhile, she loves it!

As others have said, darker is better, has more of the "good stuff" in it.

My horse prefers "half and half."

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Lyn Farms View Post
    I have heard that beer helps a mare to milk up better. Something to do with the hops in it. Then I heard on tv the same for pregnant women.
    Do you, by any chance, know if it isn't recommended for pregnant mares as alcohol isn't recommended for pregnant humans? I'm considering using it for my mare this year who doesn't bag up a whole lot but I want to make sure there's no risk of "foal alcohol syndrome" lol.
    Who needs wings when you've got a jumper?
    http://darkstr.webs.com

My horse is supposed to know how to behave around humans, but he is pushy/treaty when he smells a beer!

My ponies always got beer. I'll put beer in my hot mashes...the horses really seem to like stout.

I had a Selle Francais mare who, as part of the purchase agreement, was to have a mix of dry french bread soaked in white wine. Every Sunday was her day for a special meal. She didn't mind cheap wine, didn't like the reds. Lovely mare and pretty soon the other horses were doing "whuffles" for their mash too! Very cute.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"