The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Christmas Blizzard

Merry Christmas and who all is having this Christmas blizzard???

South of Kansas City it began sleeting just before lunch and continued until dark when it turned to snow. The wind is brutal and our power is flickering. The horses are hanging out in the barn prefering hay in the stall feeders to the "just opened on Tuesday" roundbale in the pasture. The barn cats have been moved inside....and the terriers continue to guard the fireplace. All accounted for.

Next....

It started snowing and blowing yesterday evening, was fierce this morning and quit about mid day, leaving some drifts over my knees and very, very cold.
    The chill factor this morning was 0F and we lost our electricity right after 12 AM, finally got it back about 3 PM.
    Since we have a generator, we were ok.

We have I-40 thru here and with the whiteout and frozen highway, in one spot I saw 4 trucks that slid off, one went thru the side road and the neighbor's fence and three cars and the highway was closed for over an hour, while they sorted them out.
    No ambulances, so I think they were lucky...

I sure hope you don't get much worse.
    I heard SD has been closed until this blows over, asking no one to drive.

Miserable here just north of Dallas. Rained all night, turned to snow mid-morning, lightened up for a while and got serious mid-afternoon. Several inches here....big stuff for this area. Scratched plans to drive to nw Arkansas. The wind is fierce and the snow is coming down sideways. Hubby informs me there is a 2 foot drift behind my Expedition.

Horses have been in their stalls though their doors are open all day and been stuffing their hay inside their stalls. Haven't gotten their blankets re-waterproofed yet so they haven't had them on but they are out of the wind. It's supposed to end before bed and we will tuck them in their pj's.

Backup dinner plans locally got cancelled. May or may not go tomorrow...possibly will wait until Saturday. Car wrecks and pileups all over the
    place.

P.S. It was 75 degrees yesterday, low of 20 tonight.

Bluey-our oldest daughter and her husband live in Spearfish, SD. When they saw the forecast they bolted from SD at 11:00 p.m. Tuesday night so they could make the 13 hour drive down with minimal storm complications.

My Amaretto is making things merry on this cold winter night.

Quote Originally Posted by BasqueMom View Post
    P.S. It was 75 degrees yesterday, low of 20 tonight.
    Go figure, same type thing here yesterday. Thunderstorms and 50's.

Quote Originally Posted by SLW View Post
    Bluey-our oldest daughter and her husband live in Spearfish, SD. When they saw the forecast they bolted from SD at 11:00 p.m. Tuesday night so they could make the 13 hour drive down with minimal storm complications.

My Amaretto is making things merry on this cold winter night.
    Smart to get out, because it sounds like a real bad one this time.

That Amaretto sound lovely for a Christmas Eve.

I am in Iowa for the holidays and they have been forecasting a big winter storm since Tuesday, but it only just now appears to be developing. It has been very warm for this time of year and almost non-stop light rain since we got in Tuesday night. I just hope that it is all clear for us to get out of here on Sunday. I love Iowa, but I cannot wait to get back to Kentucky where I belong!

Wow, just wow this morning. Bitter cold winds and some drifts that needed attention from the tractor. The sun is out making for the first White Christmas here in ages, something to enjoy!

We're about an hour west of KC, and the ice/sleet/freezing rain started yesterday early. Mid-afternoon it chnaged to blowing snow. We've got about 6 inches wiht drifts up to 3'! Family was supposed to come for dinner from 30 minutes away - not going to happen. My friends that live a few blocks away are coming to help us eat this 18 pound turkey! At least Santa made it.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Um, any updates closer east? I'm in NJ right now, but Ted is still in the St. Louis area...I always worry when the temp drops so precipitously, followed by sleet/snow/ice. So hard on the horses, and those that care for them!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

It is brutal here in western South Dakota. Snow, about 10 + F and 60 MPH winds. Really, the whole State is shut down. Total white out conditions. We have 6 foot drifts so far. Our blizzard warning is in effect until Saturday evening.

My sister and I left Sioux Falls on Wednesday afternoon to get ahead of the storm and get home for Christmas, so really have no idea how it is back there except for watching the news and weather channels. Friends say they have 10 or so inches, with another 10 predicted in the next 24 hours. I know the freeways are shut down statewide, and last I heard no driving was recommended at all in Sioux Falls city limits because they couldn't get the plows to the non-emergency route streets. We're just watching and hoping to be able to head back home tomorrow night!

Well it is just downright foolish here again tonight. Snow flurries continued all day and the wind kept shifting the fallen snow around. The drifts we plowed out earlier had reformed by dark.

Add to that I need to leave next weekend (taking the only other horse saavy SLW family member with me) and be gone for just under two weeks leaving Mr. SLW solo to tend to horses. Not a problem except we don't get above freezing between now and then and the little matter about my shod mare enters the picture. She has to be stalled otherwise the snowballs form. I think I need to morph our lil place to an island country in the next 3 days. Palm trees, colorful beach towells and drinks with umbrellas sounds perfect!

And expected to STAY "downright foolish" for a while longer. Trainer Lady called this evening to strongly suggest we scrap plans for tomorrow's lessons. Her DH works a snowplow - when she calls to say the roads are bad, the roads ar REALLY bad.

We got to have a true old-fashioned Christmas Eve, sitting around the dining room table reading and playing games by the light of the oil lamps because we lost power for a couple of hours. Got it back just before DH got home from work (45 minute drive that took him 2+ hours) around 9:30 last night, or else he'd have fired up the generator.

Geek, I haven't heard anything about St. L. This latest storm ought to be headed for the coast now; hope it does not hit again while you are there.
    Incredible Invisible