The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Weight loss

Any tips from successful losers? I am trying to shed my baby pounds as a theoretical matter and have another 10 pounds to lose. I've never really had a weight issue, and am struggling with motivation. I have grand intentions but then grab a cookie or five to get through the marathon nighttime nursing sessions. Sigh.

I've lost 37 pounds in just less than three months with Take Shape for Life, and am now a Health Coach which I really enjoy doing--feel free to send me a private message and I can get you more info. Make sure you have something healthy handy for those middle of the night munchies. It's very doable, just takes some planning--great time of year to get it off before riding season picks back up again--I'm already down 2 jean sizes and hope to look good in tights by summer.
    Windwalker Ridge: Gaited horses, lessons, training, sales
    http://windwalkerridge.cloud11.net

I found fitday.com really helpful. I had NO idea how many calories I was consuming, and seeing it all in black and white really helped me change my habits.

I also did the Eat to Live diet awhile back--lost a bunch of weight quickly and easily and felt FANTASTIC. It's hard to stick with, though!

A good friend of mine who was my gym buddy and moved to Utah gave me a GREAT tip she got from her trainer. I am a snacker. I feel hungry ALL the time, crave sugar. Thanks to her tip, I think I found a good answer. NUTS. Mid morning and mid-afternoon, I have a small handful of nuts - almonds, walnuts, cashews - mixed nuts...they satisfy me and fill me up and my appetite and cravings go away. She also eats very similarly to the Flat Abs diet - a healthy fat at every meal to control cravings. I started the nut idea and have already lost a few pounds (I have also been consistently exercising more which helps too). I am amazed at how the nuts are keeping me sane. If I feel hungry at night, I eat a few almonds and I'm fine. Try it!!

Calorie counting is the only thing that works for me. I've always been active, I regularly work out 6 days a week, etc. However, I can gain 5 lb by looking at chocolate cake, and my husband loves to eat out. So, when I gain a few, I go back to religiously writing down everything I eat and the number of calories I consume. When I want to snack, I first drink something, or chew some gum for a while.

I lost 30+ pounds with Weight Watchers. It was the only thing that worked for me....no "can't haves", just needed to count the points. Keeping track of what I ate was the key. Good luck to you.

I do weight watchers and have been successful with it in the past. I have been journaling through the holidays and it has kept me honest. Counting the points has kept me from consuming massive amounts of points.
    OTTB - Hurricane Denton - Kane AKA Bubble boy
    Boxer - Tugger's - outlasted my marriage

smaller portions, regularly. don't skip meals. keep your carbs to a minimum. Have healthy NON carb snacks available like lean meats, fresh veggies, in between small meals and carry them with you so you aren't tempted to have the sticky bun. Don't drink your calories- no juices, alcohol, etc. Don't use artificial sweeteners- they make you hungrier.

Move more.

P90X! Fantastic workout and comes with a well thought out nutrition plan to burn the fat and replace it with lean muscle. I'm truly the fittest and the leanest I've ever been in my life.
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

so I am curious- how did everyone do? We are having traditional Eggs Benedict Boxing Day breakfast. that's about 3 days worth of food in one meal.

Oh, I've sure I've eaten too much (but having to walk the dogs in wet heavy pack snow for a mile is probably helping.)

For workouts--corny as it sounds, I am LOVING the "Bellydance Slim Down" DVDs with Veena and Nina, the bellydance twins. The workouts are designed to basically be cardio, they're fun, easy to pick up, and they've been doing great things for my legs and abs especially! I even got into those old Cotton Natural 28s (for all I can't even remember when or where I got them) after a couple months of doing the DVD three or four days a week.

I'm just like the Gremlins, you can't feed me at night. We try to eat before 7. If later than 7, then I try to eat lighter. Otherwise no snacking after 7 or the pounds appear real fast.

This winter a rider friend organized a workout group. She found another horse person who is also an exercise person to lead us. Then she found a church that donated space for us to use (we did do a collection for a donation here at Christmas). That has helped since we all tend to ride less and stay indoors with the food more over winter
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Draught Sport horses

Join us on Facebook