The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Holiday traditions

What are your holiday traditions? Let us know!

Our biggest holiday tradition is that we always give great gag stocking stuffers on Christmas morning. We have one set of potholders that we pass around every year among the women. The receiver saves them for next year. My mom is also famous for giving hotel soap. Gee, thanks, mom!

Cold sesame noodles and spare ribs and wonton soup Christmas Eve, spent with my cousin and her husband and my godson, watching movies. I've just spent the past day or so at malls shopping - mostly yakking - with her. Breakfast of wonton soup, spare ribs and cold sesame noodles after gift unwrapping, followed by the Christmas Nap before people come over for dinner.

Going on now for over 20 years.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

We have the "Snot Pin". It looks like, well, a glob of yellowish snot attached to a pin. Made by a kid at my mom's Montessori years ago, given to her. Now, it gets passed around the women of our family. Ugh.

We have a big breakfast after gift opening, then laze around all day (whilst I whip up Prime Rib and the Fixins') and usually one part of the family joins us for dinner.

My mom and I are the only ones who still go to Mass (Catholics), so I force the rest of the family to work around our schedule heh heh... Good old Catholic guilt, bred in.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

We started doing the extended family on Christmas Eve so the folks with kids could do Christmas morning at home and spend the day with different extended family. Christmas Day my sister and I would go to Mom and Dad's and make Christmas dinner for them while Dad went out for a hike (caretaking for Mom so get away time was precious).

The big dinner thing went by the wayside when the kids came along with their short attention spans and picky food tastes so we tried something else and it has been GREAT.

Everyone brings a couple of dishes in moderate quantities for a buffet with appetizers, main meal, vegetables and then dessert. Food is what we all like, nobody works hard and there's more time for catching up on family doings.

We celebrate Christmas eve with dinner and opening of presents around midnight. It's Swedish tradition, along with the fun Aqua Vit, herring, beets and raw egg, potatoes, a ham and meatballs. There is a traditional song about Lucia with the stable boys attending her and the whiplash dance through the house. That last one requires more people than currently are at the house - there is a song you sing, you hold hands and then run the house around every nook corner chair etc. The last one (usually the littlest one) usually gets lifted off her feet a bit - hence the whiplash. Everyone, young and old participate. Merry Christmas everyone!

we (I) open up 1 or 2 gifts tonight then we get up xmas day

we get up super early christmas morning (as in 5am) to open all of our gifts. we all open one at a time so it takes some time to get through the presents. but we are in no rush an just enjoy the morning! then around 10 or 1030 all of the cousins and aunts and uncles come over and we do that family christmas and eat breakfast (my gma stays with us for the week of christmas so shes here too!). then everyone goes home to nap and relax before coming back to my house for dinner!
    "If you are nervous you arent focused-if you are focused, there is no room for nerves!"

I have two Christmas ornaments "The-little-old-man-and-little-old-woman" that have been on every Christmas tree since my grandfather's first Christmas - which I think was in 1870 or thereabouts. They are small plaster of Paris (I think) and they must go on the tree.

Every year, we have french onion soup for christmas eve dinner, then we open a new pair of christmas pajamas (My mom started this, I think she got sick of taking pictures of us in our old ratty pjs), and an ornament for each year.

DH and I wrap gifts late christmas eve. We drink egg nog and laugh at each other as we get goofy with wrapping.

On Christmas morning I make an anise braid (it's a yummy sweet bread), go take care of the animals, then we open our gifts, one at a time. Then I make a light Christmas lunch (ham, potatoes, green beans) and then we're having a potluck dinner with the grandparents (that's a new feature this year, I used to cook the whole thing).

Every Christmas Eve we (hubby, daughters, and I) go to Waffle House for dinner
    It's especially nice to have breakfast for dinner and have someone else cook & clean since I've been cooking and cleaning for the family that will arrive on Christmas.
    Y'all ain't right!