The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Mid-Atlantic peeps -- how did you fare in the storm?

We traveled to the family farm in WV the day after the big snow. Thank goodness for 4x4, that's all I can say. We still have a ton of snow, and the roads were very bad until yesterday.

Unfortunately, someone out our road had a heart attack, and the ambulance got stuck. My dad went out with his dozer to help, but the poor man died before the roads could be cleared. Very sad -- it sort of cast a pallor on the holidays for us.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

oh my thats just awful! years ago my vet (who is also a treasured friend) had a stillborn son at christmas....it really was not a happy time that year or for a few years after that. Hopefully the man didnt suffer.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

We got about 4" of snow in the Greensboro area of NC. It was all still there when I left on Monday and according to friends up there there's still enough snow for a while christmas tomorrow. Definitely no snow here in southern coastal SC though
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

We probably had about 8" of snow, which has now melted into muck due to the warmer temps. So, my paddock boots, which were more or less mud-free due to the snow, now are muddy again. At least we didn't lose electricity. A couple counties west of us were out-as in everyone!
    As bad as it was here, equines and canines were insane enough to be out frolicking in the blizzard. Ok, fuzzy horses and furry dogs I can understand, but the Basset Hound?
    We stayed home, but my nephew and family headed to family in mid-VA from Hickory NC (77 and 81) and a 5 or 6 hour trip took 20 hours, with a portion of that spent in a hotel, fortunately.
    I'm thinkin' droughts may not be so bad....

We sleighed.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...8&l=71f80512ba

Just northwest of Philadelphia--Philly and southern NJ got about 2'; we got about 11 inches. Just enough for fun but not too much work.

So sad to hear about your neighbor.
    Kelly Soldavin Harvest Moon Farm
    www.harvestmoonfarmpa.com

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be!

I woke up and thanked GOD that I moved back toward home this summer. Last winter I was renting a farm by myself and I was miserable and being snowed in would have only made it worse!

My horses did great at their new home too!

Love the donk. Is he trying to catch snowflakes with his tongue?

We left town for FL last Thursday afternoon. I have been in contact with my neighbor and he said the driveway is covered. Lovely..

We go home Sunday night. I can't wait to get home. I have missed my bed, the dog, and am tired of dealing with the in-laws.
    OTTB - Hurricane Denton - Kane AKA Bubble boy
    Boxer - Tugger's - outlasted my marriage

I live in the Shenandoah Valley and we got a whopping 30" of snow!!!!! I don't remember ever seeing so much snow! We still have about 12" :-) It will be a nice, white Christmas for once. The roads were horrible and there is still a lot of refreeze going on at night. Never thought I'd have to shovel out trails in the snow for my dogs in the backyard.
    Take time, but don't waste time. - Arthur Kottas Heldenburg

I'm in the Philly area, which got about a foot. I almost had a conniption during the storm though. I'm studying abroad next semester so I had to move out of my apartment and my Dad and I got snowed in! It was the worst semester ever too and I was sooo ready to leave. I couldn't even stick around in my apartment for my roommates' party because Dad insisted on staying at my sister's.

But now that I'm actually home the snow is nice-deep enough to play in but the roads are totally clear by now. Just took the nephew out for a couple of hours today and had a pretty good snowball fight with the neighbors, complete with fort (god love snow plows and cul-de-sacs).
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

We got 20" and there's 8-10" left now since it drifted a bit in the wind. We fared just fine - gotta love those 4x4's with big tires. My hubby also rolled out the four-wheeler with plow and cleared not only our driveway, but our neighbors's driveways as well. We got a lot of home-baked treats for a day or so after that.

Tomorrow we're supposed to get 8-10 hours of freezing rain starting just before dawn, with maybe a quarter inch of ice accumulation total. I'd rather have a repeat of the snow! We're supposed to go to my SIL's house for the day, but the family will postpone our Christmas celebration for a day if the weather is bad.

Got 28" here, it's here still, but "settled" from the light fluffy DRIFTS it came down as to dense, icy yecchhh. Yuck.

I know I should think snow is pretty and a lovely change from rain...but as it is still lying about - well, it has gotten rather tiresome!

Photos - http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...&id=1357608322

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

Well, we have ice today, on top of the 26 inches we got last week. Hope it melts fast!