The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

juliansgirl Guest

Default christmas presents for barn staff

just in case anyone forgot while shopping be sure to include whoever cleans your stalls (assuming its not you)! Anyone have suggestions for good gifts? I know cash is always welcome- I have given long distance cards and waterproof gloves as well. Also, don't forget any school horses you know- they sure deserve it!

Food is always appreciated! Especially if it's something delicious and home-baked.

cash- I give $100 to each of three staff, and homemade biscotti

Cash - then they can get EXACTLY what they want.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

The groom who cares for my horse is amazing - and he kind of got the short end of the stick with my horse, because I am the only customer to ride pretty much every night after work, which means he has to stay much later than the other guys who have horses owned by riders who come during the day.

I did, after a great deal of negotiation, get the barn manager agree to let me take care of my horse afterwards (personally I prefer grooming and tacking /untacking for myself but it's a full care barn) but even so, he stays at least an hour later than the other fellows, maybe more.

So... for Christmas he got a Henri Lloyd backpack monogrammed with his initials, a very nice raised/fancy stitched lead shank with a nice brass plate engraved with his name, a very serious bottle of high end tequila and a stocking full of little practical things (hand warmers, smartwool socks, chap stick etc) some cash, and home made cookies.

He really seemed to like it
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Oooh, Smartwool socks -- great idea!

cash and cookies worked for me...

Just one note about the "homemade goods", lol... one of the ladies at my barn gave me a lovely (and HUGE) bag of cookies and candy... after I was diagnosed with gall bladder disease and have to cut out baked goods and high-fat foods for the time being Sucks to be me, especially at Christmas, and my boyfriend really enjoyed the cookies... but it made me shake my head for a minute.

(And yes, everyone at the barn knew about it-- I spent a day in the ER and had to take a week off of work because of it!)
    Vancouver Equine
    www.vaneq.com

it always amazes me how little people pay attention to other people's lives, except when they can use them to gossip.

Sorry for your insensitive gift VanEq. Hope you got some other good things from santa.

Oh, and for my barn help, I got her a pair of really nice and warm columbia winter gloves, a pair of LL Bean boots, and a 100 bill.
    I knew she needed the gloves, the boots, and the money. But, if I gave her just money, she'd still be showing up with those 1.99 stretchie gloves and sneakers. Brrr, not good for NH.
    The money, hope she spends it however she wants, but while working, I want her warm! Already gave her a couple of my old winter coats, polar fleeces all still in good shape and style.
    I am heading south and won't need them.

I have done Smartwool socks, hand and toe warmer packets, fleece neck gaiters, Starbucks gift cards, tack store gift cards, wine or other alcohol of choice, chocolate (had one barn manager who was a total chocoholic, so that was easy). Sometimes a piece of jewelry if I know their taste well enough.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!