The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Favorite Hoof Supplement?

What do you feed for a hoof supplement?

How long until you NOTICED results?

I'm getting ready to put my guys on a supplement that will help GROW OUT feet faster. I don't really have any problems with cracking, chipping or other stuff. Just need more foot on them.

thanks

Biotin - as pure as you can get it.

SmartHoof, and almost immediately. It really helped clear up my mare's chronic tendency to get thrush. She already has excellent hoof wall, so no real difference in that.

WEll, every horse is going to respond differently. I have used supplements that work for one of my horses, but not others. Like, none of my horses respond to Remission. Never have, not old formula or new. One of my horses responded slightly to Farriers Formula, another not any improvement at all. And so on and so on. So, we can give you recommendations all day long but it really depends on the individual horse as to how they respond to it.

I started using Smarthoof on a mare of mine a bit over a month ago and noticed results very quickly. Faster hoof growth and better horn quality. I'm battling seedy toe/WLD on her and so far this is working very well to get the hoof grown out and she's normally VERY slow growing.

I had a filly with a bizarre ailment a couple of years ago where her hooves began sloughing. She formed horizontal cracks all the way around all 4 hooves, right below the coronet band. Looked similar to Selenium poisoning but that was not the case and the cause was never determined despite multiple vets and farriers. I needed her hooves to grow out and FAST. I used a supplement I had used in the past that I had had good results with, that contains 50mg of Biotin. Even the farrier couldn't believe how quickly her hooves grew out. Took 3-4 months to grow an entire new hoof from directly below the coronet band down. However, the mare that I have on Smarthoof right now never did respond to the supplement with 50mgs of Biotin. So yeah, it's gonna depend. Here's the 50mg supp.

http://www.jeffersequine.com/ssc/pro...S5&pf_id=11812

With a OTTB mare that I owned, who had terrible hoof walls, I found that H.B. 15 by Farnam worked the best. My farrier noticed a difference after the first shoeing. I ran out of it and he noticed that they started to get shelly again, immediately.

I just took over a percheron-QH in September whose feet were a disaster. I started him on Grand Hoof + MSM pellets, and then added Biotin 800 (50mg of biotin per ounce) and 2 tablespoons of ground flax to his diet. The combination has accelerated the hoof growth, the new hoof is well over 1/2 grown in, and the feet are looking much better. The farrier is suitable impressed. I got the Biotin 800 from Valley Vet.

I also use Grand Hoof + MSM and noticed improvement over the course of six months to a year. But the greatest improvement came after I gave her a Panacur PP, and she'd been regularly dewormed according to the standard protocols. Her hooves have gone from good to great.

I LOVE the ShoHoof by Calf Manna. It showed results and quickly. My boy started on the Source Hoof HF and I felt like I had to feed him way too much. Well switched him to ShoHoof and noticed results. Farrier and Barn Owner noticed a difference too. It has tones of the ingredients that matter most in it. And for a guy his size (17.3hh 1550lb, he could make a whole bag last over a month! Only $29.99 at Tractor Supply however you can find it online cheaper too!

I feed SmartHoof Ultra and have been very satisfied. Transitioned from Glanzen GL to SmartHoof Ultra because of cost. They seem very similar products (hoof speaking).
    "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."

Quote Originally Posted by Ozone View Post
    Biotin - as pure as you can get it.
    Ditto! The cheapest I've found it is from Ani-med

I love SmartHoof. Put my pony on it when I bought him because the inside of his hoof wall had collapsed. Saw almost immediate improvements in the new hoof growth. I recently took him off of it because his hoof was growing so fast that i had to get him trimmed every 3 WEEKS!

Definatley will work for faster growth.

I use FOCUS HF by SOURCE for all my horses and they all have excellent hooves/hoofs/feet whatever!! All are barefoot unless in training and showing at which time they keep their shoes on very well.
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

centralsaddlery Guest

we sell seaweed in our shop and it is a grate all round supplement.

also Farriers Formula is very populer.

I buy whatever is available in the clearance section of SmartPak.

Seriously.

Mostly I try to build nutrition into my feeding regime but my OTTB has slow growing feet so I've been adding a hoof supplement.

Honestly, I'm not sure it makes that much difference so I feel better when I pay 25-50% less . . . IN the past I've tried Grand Hoof, Farrier's Formula, HorseTech, and even one super duper expensive one (can't remember the name right now). I have never seen a huge difference in growth or quality of horn.

What's working right now having my horse barefoot, treating with Keretex and using hoof boots to ride.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Thanks for the replies. I realize that there isn't a one-size-fits-all for this, just as there isn't any ONE supplement that works for all horses of any kind, but your opinions are valuable to me.

I will do some research on Smarthoof and just plain biotin supplementing. I have tried Farriers Formula (for a year) with no results and have only moderate results on Omega Horse Shine, which touts its usefulness for better hooves, but I really feed it for stopping my pony's problem with the runs! Odd as it sounds, it works.

Horseshoer's Secret. You should see a ring of improved hoof just below the coronary band in about 3 month. 6 months should be obvious, full effectiveness takes a year or more.

Also, the supplements themselves won't feed the bulldog. The horse must be on a proper overall diet and in particular must be on an exercise program (either ridden or vigorous turnout). You're not going to grow healthy hoof in a stall.

Finally, depending on the weather and other factors, you may need to adjust the moisture content of the hoof; the supplement may help but will not completely fix that factor, either. Hooves that are too wet or too dry won't grow correctly or respond as strongly to the supplement, IMO.

The only thing that helped my 5 year old TB's mushy feet is LinPro. Huge difference. I get it thru SmarkPak.

I have pretty much stuck to Nu-Hoof Accelerator from Select the Best as my farrier and I both notice that my horses' grow much more foot when on it. Can't say for sure how long it took to see the difference as it has been a long time since I started it. However, I have one horse switched over to SmartHoof recently just to see how it compares (price-wise it might be better, and some horses don't like the taste of Nu-Hoof). Can't say I have seen a difference yet, but maybe when he gets shod this next time...

Another vote for SmartHoof. I switched from Farrier's formula which had been recommended by my shoer. About 6 months later the farrier asked if I was feeding my horse something different as his feet looked much improved (this was after 2 years + on Farrier's formula).

I've tried them all on lots of horses and haven't been convinced by any of them. I've got my mare on SmartHoof right now because it's reasonably priced and in my mind, it's better than nothing - but I can't honestly say that I notice a difference either.
    I'm thinking of just going with pure biotin and MSM but I like the SmartPaks and don't know if I'll be able to find the pure biotin.