The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Raleigh-Durham boarding costs?

Hey folks... I'm looking at some work opportunities in that area, and am doing to background research.

Can anyone give me an idea of horse-costs in this area??

What I'd be looking for...

- smaller to midsized barn. Prefer "cozy" over "fancy", but still needs to be well run
    - covered or indoor ring
    - small group or semi-private turnout
    - larger stalls appropriate for a big horse
    - Solid feed and care program; consistent and experienced handling.

Access to trails would be a bonus!
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Ibex, I know you're from Vancouver, so you may not be aware that Raleigh-Durham is a biiiiiiiig place. Big enough that, IMO, it's got that "city country split" where some of the near-in boarding is quite pricey and some of the slightly further out boarding is dramatically cheaper. I'll leave it to the locals to get more exact than that.

You'll find http://nchorsenews.com/index.php?page=boarding for general research. 919 is the area code for all of Research Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) so look for that in the contact info. Also search the Message Board at NC Horse News--they do the "moving to Research Triangle, where to board" thing there allllll the time.

Sigh. Can you tell that my sis lives in that area and I dream of moving there someday?

For places with a covered/indoor ring, you are looking at $600 to $750 per month. Good luck.

I know of a place that meets most of the criteria except for the covered/indoor ring - but they have fabulous lights so riding at night is wonderful. Their board starts at $500.

PM me if you want more details including their location.
    Marquetry Magic - "E-Bay" 11MAR1995 - 27DEC2008 - RIP wonderful boy

Off the top of my head, you're looking at about $500-600/month to board (add or subtract on either side for added amenities.) I've never boarded a horse here myself, but my roommate has been researching options and that's what she came up with.
    Have YOU ever looked into the eyes of a rich white child who has just lost a jumping competition?

Thanks everyone!!!

Like I said to a couple of people who were kind enough to PM me specific recommendations, I'm just in the early stages of seeing if this is a feasible option (so of course checking into horse stuff first ).

Question: how much do you NEED an indoor in NC???

How long a commute do you need to plan on to get to horsey areas?
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Well..this winter, I've been in the indoor daily due to wet, muddy conditions. In the summertime, it can get up to 100 plus degrees, so an indoor is nice.

I don't board at this facility...but it is in Willow Springs (about 40 minutes from my house in N. Raleigh) and only charges 375.00 with a covered arena.

www.saddletreestables.com

There is also a place in the same area called Horse Creek Farm, they have an indoor and charge 350.00.

We board in the Oxford area...North of Raleigh and I pay 600.00 per month, but it's the nicest indoor arena I've seen in the area...insulated, good footing and big. We're at www.riverwindfarmnc.com If interested, you can PM me for more info on trainer, etc.

MacNairs is located near NC State..nice facility. I think their board runs somewhere around 750ish for what you want

There is also a nice place in NorthEast Raleigh www.equusrunfarm.com I think she's charging 585.00.

I've been in the area for about 16 years now, feel free to PM me about any barns that you see. Some are great and others not so much.

I think "needing" an indoor depends on the quality of the ring.... the current barn that I ride at has perfectly good footing year-round, as long as I'm willing to get wet.
    Have YOU ever looked into the eyes of a rich white child who has just lost a jumping competition?

When I went to NC State I always found better prices on board in Chapel Hill than in Raleigh. Unfortunately the two I boarded at are closed/private now or I would recommend them. But I will PM you a list of the Raleigh NO NOS. My dad always said we have a daughter at State and a horse that goes to UNC.

Boarding in this area ranges widely, the closer to Raleigh you are, generally the pricier. Our weather is quite variable, so really an indoor is nice but not a necessity. Moreso for rain/muddy conditions than cold or snow! I run a smaller facility about 45 minutes from Raleigh and our full, stall board is $315. You will be hard pressed tho to find that close to Raleigh. If you are willing to drive a little, or live a bit outside of Raleigh and commute for work/school you can get much better deals! There is a nice facility in Zebulon, Five County Stables which is pretty quiet and laid back, but no indoor or lights. They do have a cross country course thru Beg, Novice and are expanding it and tons of trails. Don't know exact boarding cost, but they do more pasture than stall boarding, can give you contact info if you PM me.

Check out the ncdcta website for farm/trainer info.

Welcome to the area.You will love it.

I've lived in the general area all my life and this is the first winter in years that I can remember an indoor/covered being something that I really wished for. That said, there are about 19 other winters of riding that I've had where it didn't seem necessary. I'd recommend that you come down and go visit some farms. There are some GREAT options around and like hearthorse said, some not-so-great ones.

FWIW, I live in Durham and board in Hillsborough. And you can pm me at any point if you need more ideas or want feedback on different places.

Question: how much do you NEED an indoor in NC???
    You don't if you have a lighted ring with great footing and shaded trails for the summer. Despite the rain there have been no days where I could not ride this fall/winter. I used to ride at a place with a covered and it was nice in the hot summer, but honestly, just working on shaded trails was more fun.

IMO, in this state- having a covered isn't worth the extra board money it will likely run.

No, if you have good footing in an arena, you do not need an indoor here. I have had access to them in both places I have boarded and I don't use them very often at all -- in fact, never at my current farm. I don't think it is worth paying the crazy prices some places around here charge to have one. I can ride outside pretty much every day except for the maybe five days a year it gets icy.

Just like everywhere else, prices vary HUGELY, as does what you get with them. There are some really great places and there are some places that LOOK great, but really are terrible, so when you have specific ideas of places you are interested in, ask around to see what the real story is. There are a couple cheaper (in the 300's) places with covered/indoor arenas, but they are not good places to board.