The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dressage Coat Shopping!!!

DH is still coming up blank on a christmas present for yours truly, and quite frankly so was I (other than something like a truckload of gravel which is always on the "want" list!).... and then I remembered that I have had a hankering for a NICE, proper dressage coat for a while, instead of just wearing my hunt jacket.....

So, what's hot in eventing dressage? Colors, styles, brands? I haven't been coat shopping in FOREVER, all I know is an RJ Classics 8R hunt jacket fits me to a T.... is black still the best? Brass buttons, silver? Velvet collars? Trim? Should I get crazy and order something swank from Dressage Extensions (I love looking at that catalog).... or would that be TOO over the top?

Jennifer

Jenn, I have a beautiful brand new, dark navy, Pikeur Diana dressage coat in the smallest size they come (6) and it swallows me...PM me if you're interested in "acquiring" it.
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

I love my RJ Classics hunt coat, and would get one of their dressage coats if I had some spare $$:
    http://www.rjclassics.com/dyn_prodlist.php?k=149921

I especially love the Sterling Collection one.

Love the RJ jacket and bought one this year at Dover in a moment of weakness. I have bought 5 or 6 on ebay since I know my size and I like to collect a few in different colors for eventing and hunting. The RJ coats rock

Pikeur Diana. Always perfect, black or blue, silver buttons. You lucky duck, such fun to have something new. My Diana is now 20 years old. Trouble is, it *still* looks perfect, no chance for a replacement!

The RJ Classics dressage coats are absolutely STUNNING. The weight of the Sterling and Platinum coats is incredible, but they wear like iron. I LOVE mine!

I too am hoping for a dressage coat for Xmas, and I was wondering about the OP's question about velvet collars.

I love the way velvet collars with silver piping look on Pikeurs, but are they out of fashion? Will they become out of fashion? Can I still wear the jacket for SJ if I want to and the velvet collar would be okay?

Oh, oh....get THIS one!! http://www.rjclassics.com/dyn_prod.php?p=Z7511&k=149920

I have it and it looks stunning! They even have a matching stock with piping to go with it. They are the best coats ever!!! I can just picture you riding in it this spring.

I have this one in navy.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=268173732

LOVE it. It really is washable...no more dry cleaning or ruined jacket when you compete in the rain.

This one is also nice

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=268173732
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

ohhh, thanks for the RJ Classics link. I have their "low end" dressage coat and really like it, and am looking for a coat for "rail classes" since we may do that next year, and less dressage. Their coats are available in SHORT sizes for those of us who are not the stereotypical "tall and willowy" rider, and the size range is good. I found I needed to go up one size from street size (my coat's a 12 short and I wear a 10 petite in street clothes.)

Yeah that Platinum coat is looking like a winner.... :-)

Jennifer

I love RJ coats too. I don't have a dressage one (yet!) but I have 2 of their hunt coats and they fit me far better than other brands.

For those interested in hunt coats, The Collection online store is having a sale right now: http://www.thecollectiononlinestore....atsladies.html

They have hunt coats starting at $25!!!

with my recent luck, I should buy the "highly water resistant" one
    I have a Gran Prix hunt coat. It got rained on pretty bad one year and then the fabric "puckered". Has anyone else had this happen? I'm a little miffed. The manufacturers know they are making coats for people who are riding horses. They have to know we are riding outside and will get rained on once in a while. Why would they use a fabric that is going to pucker if it gets wet? I recently bought a lovely navy blue Pikeur Doreen dressage coat. It stays in the trailer if there is even a hint of rain. That coat was way too expensive to get wet.
    ~I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.~

Can't beat the Pikeur Diana! I'm on my second one only because the original is too big now Still in like new shape, though after many seasons in the RAIN! The new one this has faired extremely well this year as it's been worn in multiple torrential downpours at many events in both dressage and SJing.

Quote Originally Posted by DQ Eventer View Post
    Can't beat the Pikeur Diana! I'm on my second one only because the original is too big now Still in like new shape, though after many seasons in the RAIN! The new one this has faired extremely well this year as it's been worn in multiple torrential downpours at many events in both dressage and SJing.
    hmmm...have got to get you scheduled this week to check Rasta's teeth and give him winter shots...you can try on the size 6! have I got a deal for YOU!!!!
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

I have the Cavallo Washable dressage coat (lucked into it on an ebay deal) and I LOVE it. It's really flattering. So convenient being able to throw it in the laundry between shows and not worry about dry cleaning. I loved it so much I got a washable jumping coat too. I seem to get slimed a lot.

Ok now that we're on the subject of silver things, who has a good suggestion for a gorgeous coat with GOLD piping and buttons?

Here's a great one from RJ Classics that has the gold buttons, you could always add the piping (it's not expensive). I've seen this coat, it's great!

http://www.rjclassics.com/dyn_prod.php?p=E7400

I'm a fan of the Equifit dressage coats. They make gorgeous shape flattering coats in all different colors and styles. That's what I got (well, given the money to get) for Christmas! I'm super excited.

VTO has them www.vtosaddlery.com
    Jessica Bortner-Harris
    www.rockystartstables.com
    "Throw your heart over the fence and your horse will follow."