The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spirulina/MSM dosage

For COPD, how much spirulina and MSM do you give your horse? Do you give it once a day, twice, etc? The "regular" dosage on the packaging of both is one scoop for a 1000 lb horse (he is) and right now I'm giving him half of each 2x's a day (he's a picky eater and I was trying to wean him on it).

When my horse is having a "cough" flare-up, I feed 1 tablespoon twice per day of Spirulina and a treatment dosage of MSM once a day. Once the coughing episode is resolved, I feed 1 tablespoon of Spirulina per day, along with a maintenance dosage of MSM. I have been very pleased with the results.

In order to get my guy to eat the Spirulina, I had to introduce it to him gradually. I also wet his feed so he can't eat around his supplements.

Best of luck...

Quote Originally Posted by GallopHer View Post
    When my horse is having a "cough" flare-up, I feed 1 tablespoon twice per day of Spirulina and a treatment dosage of MSM once a day.
    How much is a "treatment dosage" of MSM?

I have to wet his grain to. Funny thing is... I thought he HATED the spirulina. I noticed he started coughing a couple of times after he was eating his grain when I wasn't wetting it down. Kind of thought... huh, I'm purposely feeding this awful dusty stuff to my horse so started wetting it. He now LICKS his bowl clean.

The "treatment" dosage should be noted on your MSM container. Depending on the manufacturer, dosages can vary from 1 teaspoon to a tablespoon. Typically for MSM, the "treatment" dosage is roughly double the maintenance dosage. This dosage is intended for short term treatment and then the dosage is decreased for maintenance.

Best of luck.