The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Anyone know anything about the Harry Dabbs 911 Model saddle?

Just wondering if there is ANYONE out there that knows anything about the Harry Dabbs 911 model saddle. How long ago were they made? How much is one in excellent condition worth? Any other info you may know about them. TIA

I will dig you up some more info but off the top of my head, the saddles were in production around 1998'ish. Harry was making saddles for Peter Menet and adapted some of his panel designs for the series of saddles named after Porsche cars.
    I am not sure which is which, but he made a flat and a deeper seated jumpihg saddle as well as a dressage saddle.
    The saddles were 911, 914 & 928.
    The saddles were of excellent quality and build.

Thank you for your help. I just bought one and it is in great condition. I have most recently been riding in a Harry Dabbs A/O and loved it, but my gelding had out grown its medium tree and needed to move up to a wide tree. I got the 911 for what I feel is a great deal, considering its condition and what I paid for the A/O. I just could not find any info online about the 911 model. I rode in it yesterday and thought it rode pretty well,I felt secure in it. Here is a pic of it http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q...t=PC221690.jpg. Thank you for your help I would love more info on these saddles if at all possible.

What kind of information would you like to know more about?

Default ALL ABOUT THE 911

The 911 was introduced in 1988 and was in production for about two years.
    It was part of a series of saddles made by Harry Dabbs in England named after Porsche cars.

Their were actually 3 saddles in the 911 range.
    The deep seated Jumping saddle, the flatter seat Equitation saddle and the Eventing saddle.
    He also produced the 944 which was an all purpose saddle and the 928 which was a Dressage saddle.

The 911 came in a choice of wool stuffed panels or foam panels. Addiionally it was also available in a choice of a 10" seat or a narrower 9" seat. The 9" was the traditional seat width until Pessoa introduced the A/O with a 10" seat that was more comfortable for riders and became the norm.

The saddle was also available in your choice of either a padded flap or a plain flap and could be had with knee rolls or without.

The wood tree made by Harry Dabbs was available in medium and wide sizes and the flaps were available in regular or long.

The retail price of the saddle was $1695. The price of the saddle today if new would be about $2400.
    The saddles were the basis of Harry Dabbs Jaguar line. When he bought the rights to use the Jaguar name he gave up on the 911, 944 and 928 series and re-named them Jaguar.
    I am not certain if he made any changes to the saddle when he re-introduced it under the Jaguar name. The saddle very similar to the Jaguar XJS saddle. I guess Harry liked cars.

The quality was good and was made with a very nice grade of English leather. If not Sedgewick then certainly equal to it.

By the way, Harry Dabbs sold his company to become a real estate baron and is no longer associated with the company or Jaguar saddles.

That is about all that I know.
    Last edited by PROTACKGUY; Dec. 23, 2009 at 09:23 PM. Reason: typos

WOW, you are so knowledgeable! Thank you so much for all of the information. I have often wondered about the Harry Dabbs saddles. I have had my A/O for about 7 or 8 years now and just bought the 911. I have been quite pleased with these saddles.

I have ridden in a Jaguar, Prix D, A/O and now the 911.I think the 911 rides a lot like the Jaguar. The 911 does ride quite differently than the A/O but still comfortable none the less. Mine has the padded flaps, and the leather is SUPER soft. Much softer than that of my A/O.

I just wanted some history on that model saddle since I had not head of the Harry Dabbs saddles with numbers as model names versus regular names. So, you think $450 was a good buy for it? Thank you VERY much for all of your help. It is so nice to hear from someone so knowledgeable on this subject. You are great!

I love my 911 - great saddle & was a great deal for me!! I bought it "slightly used" for $900 - was $1100 new but was returned after being used for one month. Someone just did the hard work of breaking it in for me! It's very comfortable and I like it better than my daughter's Pessoa (shhhhh)

Thanks for the information on them - I never knew that! I did meet a guy who knew him (Harry) and he told me that they were some of the best made saddles you could buy.
    Our horses know our secrets; we braid our tears into their manes and whisper our hopes into their ears.

kmjbeau Guest

Default harry dabbs 911

i bought this style of saddle about 5 years ago for my thoroughbred and I use it almost everyday. I love it a lot. I got curious about the make of it and I found this. I love this saddle it really is comfortable and is really great for equitation. I got it new it was sitting in the back of a warehouse where no one had ever seen it I guess. I got it for $465. It is great for jumping but I have found that it is a little bit hard to sit in while flatting. That's only sometimes though. I hope you all love this saddle too! Mine is wool flocked with knee rolls and a 10" seat with a narrow tree and regular flaps

So far I really like this saddle. I need to lift the front of it a little (I am waiting on my half pad to come in) but it is comfy. I am still adjusting to jumping in it as I am usedto my regular tree Harry Dabbs A/O 17.5" and this is a wide tree 17" 911 model. I have heard good things about this saddle though.