The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Probiotics, length of treatment?

My boy is on Probios to remedy some runs he was having. Side effect of 6 rounds of gentacin injections this past summer.

The probiotics worked awesome, poop's back to normal and all systems check...

Does one keep said horse on Probiotics indefinitely or is this a short term thing? I still have another bottle to go (which is less than a months worth).

He's getting 1 small scoop am and pm (I believe thats 10 grams a day). Shall I reduce it to once a day? Stop when I run out or get more so as to not miss a beat? This horse has never had any supps (or needed them). This is new for us.

Was the Probios vet prescribed? If so, ask the vet. If not, I'd probably slowly wean him off of it.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

I've had a horse on probiotics for 12 years. But it's for colic. If it's strictly for poop consistency I'd ask the vet.

Yep. Per vet. He had the runs for a few days...I waited (drinking, eating reacting to life in general normally. We had a new batch of hay, everyone was a little runny). After a week and a half I called the vet, he said Probios for sure-four five ish days later, the pony's poo is great. Obviously I will call the vet Monday, but just curious....does gentacin cause long term GI issues in horses? Vet said the kidneys are taxed by processing the stuff (also the thrice weekly sedation) but did not mention digestion.

When my horse goes on them (Probios) I stop when the drug is stopped or go a little beyond. He wasn't on them for the Genticin/Metro/Naxcel ordeal but was on them for Doxy and one other time that I can't recall.