The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default We have goals for 2010... How about reflections on 2009?

Its great to read everyone's goals for the coming year, and I'll be heading over to that thread to post mine shortly.

I thought it might be fun to reflect a little on 2009 - whether your reflections are on accomplishments or disappointments.

The highlights of my year are:

- Got laid off. Sold horse for resale profit, found and bought new, unbroken and poorly cared for but tremendously talented spitfire TB mare for $400.

- Got new job.

- Got old job back.

- SOLD the PONY. I was contracted to ride/tune up/sell a cute (homely) but fortunately talented 14.2 quarter pony. Schooled him up to Training, and had a blast.

- Personal best EVER - 71.6% dressage score on the above pony under a very respected judge.

- Took the also above-mentioned spitfire to her first real dressage show and scored a 69% on Intro A.

- Broke my foot in the middle of show season. Ugh.

- Last minute catch riding for a friend at a dressage show and WINNING both her classes for her.

- Starting my greenie o/f this fall!

A few picture highlights... (wish I had more from our shows!)

pony: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/erin7264/2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/erin7264/3.jpg

XC fun: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/erin7264/5.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/erin7264/8.jpg

My 'crazy' 4yo TB:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/10...4/img_1135.jpg

Took her to the beach...
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/10...264/siddah.jpg

And a cute one, just for fun.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/10...4/1cb6597f.jpg
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Mine's not to do with my riding, but my highlights were

--proposing and pulling off the addition of a Training 3 Day to the Indiana Eventing Associaion HT. It went really well, all the competitors had a fabulous time, the volunteers had a great time, and it was clearly something that the participants will always treasure.

--having my students win best conditioned at the IEA T3DE and the Midsouth P3DE. That's a great feeling!

There are many other things, but those two are probably the nearest to my heart, horse-wise!

learning that horse are the most wonderful and forgiving of all creation.....

i hope to one day actually earn the respect my horses give me.
    owner and friend of members of the Limping And Majestic Equine Society.

Winning a year membership to the hunt club. Foxhunting second and first field in a loose ring snaffle.

Going to Ocala for a week

Winning our first Training at Chattahoochee Hills. 32 in dressage!

Passing our C2 with several exceeds standards

Finishing our second Training at May-Daze with a clear stadium and just a few XC time penalties

Swimming Sonny in the pond

Getting a 76% on Training 4 at Dressage Rally

Having an adorable horse
    T3DE Pact

I'm proud of confirming our 2008 move up to Prelim.

Competing in our first FEI event.

Competing in two CIC*, and two CCI* and getting 3rd at both CCI* and one CIC* (with a TE in the other CIC*, would have been second).

Completed and placed third at a CCI* LF!

Bittersweet.

- In 2009, I lost Linus, the horse who once scored an eventing 16.3 in a Beg Novice dressage test. The one who was honest and brave on cross country, a sweetheart and a gentleman who kindly packed my son around my son's first ever beginner novice event. The one who was only turning 8 years old in 2009. My heart still aches when I think of him, which is every single day.

- In 2009, my son really picked up his interest in riding. I smiled (a lot) at his hero worship of Denny. (I'm smiling now as I type this) He rode in his first-ever recognized events and finished all 4 without any jumping penalties in xc and stadium, and got braver and more self-confident as the season went on. THAT was a lot of fun to see.

- I got my large pony back after being out on lease for 2 years, and realized just how much I missed her and how happy I was to have her back, even if I do want to occasionally wring her neck in dressage.

This was a year of waiting for me....
    Waiting for my 3-yr-old to be old enough to event
    Waiting for my 3-yr old to be trained enough to event
    Waiting for my MUCH WANTED but seriously putting a crimp on my riding baby to be born...

2010 is just around the corner and the waiting of 2009 is about to come to fruition. My filly has progressed beautifully under her trainer who will be taking her out to her first events early next year. My son will be born in January and hopefully I'll be back in the saddle in no time!

In 2009, my competition horse got EPM, and while he recovered, I ended up looking for another horse, and I found the horse of my dreams.

With him, I was able to achieve a life goal, and I did my first training before 50! I won't reach the half century mark until next year, but it'll hit before the first horse trail, I believe.

My two year old got hurt pretty badly, tearing every muscle in his shoulder. After spending four months in "swim camp", he walks, trots, and canters w/o a limp, but he'll never be 100%.

My three year old is under saddle!

I'm learning a TON from my wonderful Irish boy, who's making me do things right; he's not going to give it to me. WHY did I wait until now to get a horse who knows more than I do?!

But mostly I learned that horses are the best therapy, and if I give them my earnest time and effort, they not only reward me in the saddle, but with a spirit that bleeds into my life and work as well. They allow me to tackle--with a smile--all that life throws at me. Bless them all.
    Last edited by Kairoshorses; Dec. 22, 2009 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Grammar. Sigh.
    --Becky in TX
    Clinic Blogs and Rolex Blogs
    She who throws dirt is losing ground.

My goals for 2009 were:

to do a T3D... we did. and it was awesome!!!!

to improve our dressage... we did, still a work in progress, but such an improvement. one of these days we will get it together.

to be more "ride-able" over fences... yup

I really wanted to successfully re-move up/re-attempt prelim. Did not happen, but there is always next year.
    -Chelsie
    "Hell yes I can ride. I was riding when I fell off!"

2009 brought time at Rood and Riddle, with Tess having pneumonia. We almost lost her. It brought two more boughts of colic, one of which ended up with a two day stay at R&R.

Since I found out that Tess has low gut motility in her hind gut, I learned a lot about nutrition this year. I am praying that my current feeding program will continue to do the job and keep us out of the vet hospital.

Despite all of those trying times, Tess managed to give me another amazing year. We took our time coming back from the pneumonia and showed in less events. We had time penalties on cross country for the first few events, which dropped us down in the placings. Even with that, my mare with the huge heart, helped me achieve a top five USEA BN Master Rider placing, again.

At Hagyard's Team Challenge, I finally met my 2009 goal of scoring in the 20's for dressage. Achieving a 27.5, was worth more than any trophy, ribbon or award that we received this year. We did it in a misting, 45 degree rain and standing water in the dressage arena.

We could not have done any of it without the Grace of God and the help of Dr. Woody, Dr. Morrisey and Pinkdiamondracing. They are my heros. They gave me another year with my once in a lifetime horse.

This year, I found that the tough times really do make you appreciate the good ones. We have been given the honor of caring for these amazing animals. We must always be conscious of this. Love and protect them to the best of your ability. Remember, at the end of the day, they are the ones who have saved your bacon on cross country.

Red face

2009, be gone....I am looking forward cautiously to 2010 but left 2009, eventing wise, with a bad taste in my mouth from circumstances beyond my control. I worked all year toward a goal, then had it sort of deflate on me at the very end, leaving me embarrassed and disappointed. My fault.

I know that working hard will get me a better 2010, but I worked so hard last year to have it fall apart....I am leary of doing another goal like that.

I would rather just work this year on perfecting each and every skill, from better trot lengthenings to more precise turns in stadium to better pace control on cross country, smarter care of my horses, and lose weight and get fit for me. That last is the hardest. I just can't figure what minute of the day I get to work on me!

I'm not going to hold myself to something again; that was just too hard on me personally and on my horse, as well as having to deal with people close to me who already hate my competing. I am going to hear a lot of "I told you so" this year and hope I can rise above that. Sigh. Hoping 2010 is positive and forward, and trying to ignore all the negative things!
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

2008 really kicked my butt so 2009 was a year of recovery.

There wasn't a lot of competing going on but I was okay with that as I had accomplished the goal of building my own farm at the age of 28.

- I managed to sell many of the CANTER horses in a poor economy- Indy, Dixie, Mick, Wildcat, Punch, Rosey and Bella. They all have amazing homes and I made some great new contacts. I continue to get a lot of wonderful horses in for retraining via CANTER. I really love the process of tranforming racehorses to riding horses. Tons of fun!

- CANTER Mid-Atlantic started up a program at Delaware Park which I am taking lead on and it has been very rewarding. We have helped place over 100 horses just from that track and I am proud to be a part CANTER.

- Junior, my conn/tb, who injured his knee really badly has managed to stay sound and has been my hunt horse and is even hunting with my hubby. I was told he may not even be rideable so I am thankful to have him back in whatever capacity he can manage.

- I was able to take my horse who had previously been seriously messed up by bad experiences to lots of x-c schooling and we jumped around clean at BN's locally. His dressage scores are always good so watching him gain confidence was quite an experience. I am also hunting him and that is something I never would have thought would be possible I think this year is going to be quite good for him.

I am really lucky to have a supportive husband and a lot of great friends. There have been some tough blows throughout the year but I figure that is part of life and you just keep plugging away and keep focusing on the positive. I am really looking forward to 2010. Putting in a riding ring with lights, lots of business coming in the spring, tons of new horses to work with and hopefully will do some more competing this year but if I don't then I don't worry.

Gosh ... it's been quite a year.

Harry and I started out strong going to our first events in over 1 1/2 years. What a difference the time off made. All of a sudden my super-athletic horse was actually rideable. Granted he still pulled like a freight train, but all of a sudden there was a half halt there. Trust me ... this year I began to appreciate the little things.

I had renewed hope that my little horse was back and had visions of prelim dancing in my head again. But while the jumping kept getting better and better, the flatwork just got harder and harder for us. The horse that I once scored a 68% on was gone, and instead I had a horse begging to be a hunter.

So now Harry is for sale. A lot of tears went along with this decision, and I basically tear up whenever someone calls about him. But I'm holding on to the fact that as a pair we went out on top, winning our short course division this fall.

As for the Princess Lissell. She had a beautiful chestnut filly this summer for her leaser. When I went to visit I was horrified to find out that they stopped feeding hay to their horses (and were in the middle of a drought) and I'm now convinced they weren't feeding any grain either. She was skin and bones ... you could hold her spine in your hand. Disgusting. Needless to say, she's now home. Within a month she didn't look like a rescue case, and now 3 months in she's officially fat again.
    Take Your Equestrian Business to the Next Level: http://www.mythiclanding.com/
    Follow me at http://mythiclanding.blogspot.com or http://twitter.com/mythiclanding

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Awww.

Well, what can I say. 2009 was my best eventing year ever (and I also met a big goal at work, too).

Before this year I had never won a division at an event-- and then I won three, including my second ever Training event on our dressage score of 27.

In the midst of all that I had the opportunity to become the owner of the horsey love of my life and partner in those wonderful events. It just became final a couple of weeks ago.

I'm just floored.

Here is a really sappy slideshow of the year (plus a little bit of the end of 2008 right after Taco came to me):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfzF7si187k
    (For you guys who might have seen ths before, I added some new pics.)

My entire horsey life changed in 2009. I went from being a life long boarder to having my horses on my own property entirely under my own care. I have been stunned to discover how much I enjoy the process. House construction on the property began a couple weeks ago. I hope by this time next year I'll not be driving 20 minutes one way multiple times a day, but instead to be taking a short stroll down to the barn!

In February I ended a 2 year long riding hiatus with the purchase of a 3 year old TB. The year has been about teaching him the basics of going forward and finding a connection, trailering off the property for field trips and going to a few shows to hang out. He jumped his first cross rail this month.

In 2009...

1. My oldest home-bred mare turned 7. She entered her first Training HT in February. In October, she came 2nd at her first Intermediate. I'm very, very, very pleased with her progress.

2. My 2005 mare had her first year in English tack. She now jumps, foxhunts, does a bit of polo and is a safe lesson horse for kids. On her own, she took up cat-herding and pig-tipping. One thing she did not do, however, is grow. Despite having two horse parents and two 16hh+ half-sisters, she may be getting a pony card in 2010.

3. My 2006 filly is now quite solid under saddle and on trails and is ready to start going out to shows.

4. I take no credit for any of this. The Pollards have done a wonderful job with #1. Glenbaer has had full-charge of #2 and #3 -- it's quite an accomplishment to produce two very solid young horses.

5. My other BIG horsey achievement is finally getting my three retirees up to my farm in BC. I had to fortify the place for my favorite horse, my 30something rogue QH. Since his arrival, he's taken out fences, fought with my other gelding, invaded stalls, denied my mare access to her stall, peed on everyone else's clean bedding and stolen the hearts of the mares. He's a lot of fun.

CookiePony,

Loved your video! Taco and you make a super team! Now, I will recognize you at the MSEDA awards luncheon.

Default 2009 reflections..

I moved my horses 45 minutes closer to me to the hunt club with 24/7 turn out in the summer with tree covered rolling pastures and acres upon acres to ride. I have been able to get much more time with each horse. I find it thrilling that I can go on long hacks with either horse and be confident that they won't do anything stupid and are as happy to be with me as they are the herd. Lots of bonding time instead of driving time!

For Oreilly, it's been a roller coaster. February brought me a puncture and infection in the knee while I was on a cruise. Another puncture and an infection in June and a wire in the tongue in September. I volunteered more than competed this year since almost every HT I signed up for ended up a scratch for said injuries and a slew of other stupid things this horse threw at me...yet I still adore him. By the end of the summer, we were confidently jumping 3'3" plus courses on xc and stadium. Alas the wire in september ended the move up to training since it took 8 weeks for his tongue to heal. so we'll wait for next year..but I won't be telling him that! He has been working beautifully..but now he has an abcess (farrier nicked toe then threw shoe a day later on a hunt on a gravel road, one ugly abcess but getting better). He's been wonderful on the hunts though. So laid back now and quiet enought that my friends husband who just started jumping can first flight some of the venues with lower jumps.

For Nisha, she finally physically matured this summer. went from barely doing x's to easily schooling BN xc courses and is a first flight horse at the hunts at all the fixtures. She is still a work in progress, but over all turning out to be quite the mare.

Hope next year is better!

Highlights:
    -Hung on to some rather exuberant fits on the munchkin
    -Piloted the munchkin around his first event season of novice/beginner novice with 5 wins at novice one included Ontario champs
    -Took my "barge" around novice with 3 wins should've been more...
    -Was 1st on the munchkin overall in pt junior (novice) and 3rd on the "barge" aka the pinto at the year ends.
    -Successfully schooled the pinto barge around most of the training course!!!
    -Won dressage at a majority of the events... then we went downhill on a few occasions
    -Entertained the photographers with the munchkins "kangaroo hops" hahahah
    -Finally got a "packer" that will hopefully get me around training!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lowlights:
    -Hit the richland stadium warm-up ground hard after I stayed on for well over 8 seconds on the munchkins rodeo/lippizan display
    -Got my first E when I attempted to take the barge training
    -Got my second E when my barge decided that the stadium course she had done 3+ times had wolves hiding under the jumps
    -Had some of the most interesting jumping rounds leading to "ugly wins"
    -Numerous other falls that weren't exactly graceful

Overall: Had a TON of FUN, lots of laughs, and many adrenaline rushes! No regrets... I learned a TON