The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cost of shipping a horse to florida

Can someone give me an average price on the cost of shipping a horse from Pennsylvania to florida? Preferabley the price of shipping there (first trip)
    and back(second trip) individually.

I've gotten $800-$1200 for the way down from NY to Wellington.

Newtown, CT

I've gotten about 2500 round trip CT to WEF.

Usually same price down & back. FL to CT for me was $1250 each way, FL to RI was $1500.

east coast

exactly $800 is cheap $1,200 a little above avg.

I've paid anywhere from $1500 -$2000 from Millbrook, NY to Wellington for a box stall each way. However my trainer did buy the entire truck

On Avg I paid around $1000 from MD to JAX, but I paid $1200 to Ocala and south... not sure how that worked out though
    Last edited by pinkme; Dec. 22, 2009 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Forgot other locations
    For a moment there, you bored me to death

Ocala, FL

Default I'm shipping this week FL to NJ (adjacent to PA/Philly)

For $450. I shipped the same pony down here for $400. I got these prices by posting on and letting shippers bid against each other. The Yahoo Group "hitch-hiking horses" is also very good for getting genuinely competitive quotes.

And that's key: COMPETITIVE. There are a bunch of "custom" shippers out there who quote you three times higher than the going rates because they are relying on you NOT to shop around--and there are enough people out there who can afford NOT to shop around and/or who are not aware that commercial shippers are keyed into the bidding sites such that the custom shippers get away with their incredibly inflated prices.

uShip is particularly good because it's the equivalent of eBay: you get to read feedback from other clients and you get pictures of the rigs used (I will admit I had a baby hauled down here from NC for a great price via hitch-hiking horses, but the rig he arrived in made me really queasy about having signed up without seeing it first).

PLUS uShip calculates the answer to the question you just asked--what the average price for your trip has been--so you get an empirical instead of anecdotal answer.

Edited to add: However, I'm in Ocala. If you are shipping to WEF, four or so hours south, it'll be a couple hundred more, probably. But there's inflation there, too, as I've shipped Ocala to WEF for the same price as NJ to FL: $400! However, that may have been because 1.) I didn't shop around and 2.) there isn't any TB track/breeding traffic going that way.
    Last edited by pwynnnorman; Dec. 23, 2009 at 06:39 AM. Reason: More info/qualification
    Sportponies Unlimited
    Athletic Thoroughbred crosses for the highly motivated, smaller rider.

Be careful with UShip. I had a terrible experience with one of their shippers. I believe they are no longer in business, but they could be operating under a different name. I should have known something was up because they were so much cheaper than the others. They had a great website, had GPS tracking, nice layover barns, great reviews, etc. I was lucky my horse actully arrived but many others paid up front and their horses never even got picked up. The trip from MI to FL was supposed to take 3 days. It took a week and most of the time I had no idea where the horse was. The did not return calls, etc. Their truck broke down on 95 and it was summer time, hot and humid and were stuck for hours at a truck stop. When my mare arrived she was in the trailer with a crazy stallion. Just a mess, so be careful. Apparently these guys had been doing a good job and got in over their heads and just about the time they took my horse they were way over capacity.

So be very careful on UShip.